Ear Wax Buildup
Accumulation of ear wax is a fairly common problem that can be solved with the help of some useful natural home remedies for ear wax removal. Ear wax is a yellowish substance secreted in the ear canal by the cerumen glands. In medical terms, it is referred to as Cerumen.
Although ear wax is often considered as unhygienic, the body does not produce it unnecessarily. It serves the function of lubricating and cleaning the ear canal. Moreover, it also possesses temporary water repellent and antimicrobial properties.
Secretion of ear wax can increase due to blockage or narrowing of the ear canal due to diseases or infections. Stress and anxiety also tend to increase the secretion of cerumen. Prolonged use of hearing aids and ear plugs increase the risk of developing ear wax blockage.
Normally, jaw movements aid the ear wax in gradually moving out of the ear canal up to the ear opening where it dries up, flakes and eventually falls off on its own.
Excessive buildup of ear wax is not desirable because it can cause earache, fullness, infection and even hearing loss. It may also cause ringing sensation in the ears (Tinnitus) and Dizziness. Absence of ear wax, on the other hand, can cause dry and itchy ears.
Natural Home Remedies for Ear Wax Removal
• An important ear wax removal tip is not push the wax deep inside while cleaning the ear canal. In fact, you should only clean the ear opening.
• Ear irrigation with saline solution or simply warm water is a simple home remedy for removing Ear Wax. To follow this natural remedy, pour some moderately warm water or any of the other solutions in the ear with the help of an ear syringe and let it drain out after a few seconds.
• Using a few drops of warm olive oil in the ear followed by warm water is one of the most therapeutic natural cures for ear wax related problems. You can also use almond oil, paraffin oil, baby oil or any other mineral oil for this purpose to soften the buildup.
• Rinsing the inside of the ear with hydrogen peroxide is one of the most popular yet debatable home remedies for Ear Wax removal.
Put 3-4 drops of the solution (diluted in water) in the ear and let it drain out when you hear a poppy sound. Finally, use warm water to clean the ear. If needed, put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the ear to help absorb moisture.
• Similarly, sodium bicarbonate, a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water taken in equal quantities, sea water ear spray and other such solutions and ear drops can be used to help soften and clear Ear Wax effectively.
• The use of candles for ear wax removal is also gaining popularity these days but it not considered as a safe method.
Follow these natural home remedies for Ear Wax removal twice a day for about 3-4 days. However, the home treatment may not give encouraging results if it is not followed properly or in case the problem is caused by an underlying condition.
In such cases, it is recommended to seek medical help and contact a skilled ENT specialist or audiologist to get rid of this problem.