Before spending on the ant traps and chemical sprays, consider these home remedies to get rid of ants. For 10,000 to 20,000 different varieties of ants in the world, there are plenty of remedies which are found right in the kitchen. They have been in use since centuries.
• Whisk together vinegar and water in a 50-50 ratio. Wipe your cupboards, tabletops or any other surface where ants have inhabited.
How it works? Ants hate the vinegar smell. So they try to get rid of vinegar. Vinegar also removes the fragrance to which the ants got attracted. This is one of the cheapest and easily available solutions to get rid of ant trails.
• Peanut butter is very useful to heal this problem. Mix 6 parts of peanut butter, half teaspoon of salt, 1 part brown sugar and one part boric acid. Sprinkle it to every corner of your house to get rid of ants.
• The easiest therapy one has ever come across is drawing a line with chalk surrounding the area infested by ants. We can do this even by using baby powder. Talcum powder is a natural ant repellent which is used in baby powder and chalk.
• You can also prepare this mixture to get rid of ants. Blend some jelly, peanut butter and boric acid to control these tiny critters.
• Yet another simpler then before! Apply some boiled water on anthill. This crushes their entire mound that is destructing their stored foods and killing them due to its hot temperature and solvent nature.
• You can also sprinkle some used coffee surrounding the infested are to solve this problem. The smell of this coffee ground repels them. This is also one of the best home remedies to get rid of ants.
• Whisk some water, citrus oil and neem oil. Sprinkle this oil in infested area to treat ant infestation. Citrus oil can be easily found from citrus fruits like oranges and lemon.
• Whisk together jelly and borax in a 50-50 ratio. Place this mixture on the infested place to get rid of ants. Borax can easily solve this problem by damaging their outer skeleton and digestive system. This causes their death.
• Herbs do magic. Out of the following whichever you find easily sprinkle it. The herbs to cure this problem are black pepper, cinnamon, chili pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic, mint or cloves.
Spread some bay leaves in drawers, cabinets and containers to eliminate these critters out of your house. Definitely their strong smell is highly obnoxious to those pesky critters.
• Leave the toxic cucumber and citrus peelings in infested areas.
• Make a mixture of 40% alcohol, 20% dish soap and 40% water. This not only kills the present trail of ants but also inhibits the others ants to come to this place. This is due to the chemical trails left by ants called as pheromones. Pheromones actually act as chemical signal for other ants.
• Diatomaceous earth is of many uses. One of them is eliminating any kind of insect then why not ants? Sprinkle it around the infested area and eliminate these critters completely.
• It is of utmost importance to plant varieties of plants in your garden, especially tansy, spearmint and pennyroyal. They ward off ants very effectively. Sweet fern is very effective in dragging out red ants.
• Dip a cloth in kerosene. Wipe out the infested area with this cloth. You can also wipe out around the dishes so that ants do not get attracted towards the food items.
• Mint apple jelly is again one of the effective ant control remedy. Mix 10 ounces of jelly with two tablespoons of boric acid.
• Whisk together in equal parts confectioner sugar and borax to create a home remedy to get rid of ants. The best part is ants get attracted towards sugar so much that they even bring it to their hill and thus they kills their colony by their own.
• Make use of tea bags filled with mint tea to control ants. This will easily combat ant problem.
• Spray some soapy water to ward off ants.
Tired of stumbling upon a swarm of ants! Try the above mentioned home remedies to get rid of ants and see life beyond getting entangled in ants.