Nausea and vomiting can be debilitating but at times it becomes imperative to induce vomiting in case you have ingested any toxic substance so as to prevent serious damage, even death. Therefore, you can follow some natural home remedies to induce vomiting to avoid further trouble.
However, it is recommended that you consult a doctor or a poison control center before adopting any medication, therapy or home treatment to induce vomiting as some regurgitation of certain substances; especially acidic ones can burn the throat and damage esophagus.
Tips and Natural Home Remedies to Induce Vomiting
• Salt water is one of the most popular natural home remedies to induce vomiting. To follow this natural cure, you just have to drink a glass of warm water mixed with two tablespoons of salt and be prepared for nausea and vomiting. When following this home remedy, keep in mind that intake of salt in excess can be harmful for body.
• Sticking your finger down the throat and tickling it is another useful natural remedy to induce vomiting. The stimulates constrictor muscles at the back of the throat and triggers a gag reflex which in turn makes you throw up.
• Having a solution of one tablespoon mustard in a glass of warm water is a useful natural way to induce vomiting. You can also prepare a concoction by boiling a cup of water mixed with a teaspoon of mustard seeds and then straining it.
This natural treatment is effective because mustard is regarded as an age-old purgative. Besides, this popular spice when used as poultice helps heal respiratory issues caused by throat and chest congestion.
• Emetics like Ipecac syrup can also be used to induce vomiting at home but this should not be done excessively.
• Taking a mixture of a teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in lukewarm water can help make you vomit. However, this remedy is mostly used to induce vomiting in pets.
• A small dose of bloodroot herb (tincture diluted in water) can also be used to induce vomiting. This Native American herb should be used in small quantities only because it is highly toxic.
• Having two glasses of defizzed coca cola every hour and then having water is helpful in getting rid of this problem when caused by food poisoning.
At times, intake of milk or water can help dilute the poison and improve the condition without the trouble of going through the process of vomiting.
In addition, vomiting should also be avoided as leads to fluid loss and weakness. Hence, do not use any methods or home remedies to induce vomiting unless it is absolutely necessary or advised by an expert.