Constipation is a condition associated with irregular and infrequent bowel movements (less than three times in a week). It is a gastrointestinal problem that gives rise to dry and hard feces. Although there are various medicines available in market to cure this problem, people often rely on safe and natural home remedies to relieve Constipation.
It is accompanied by issues like bloating, stomach ache, sensation of incomplete evacuation and straining during bowel movement to eliminate hard stools. The most common cause of Constipation is poor diet that does not include sufficient fiber and liquids.
Autoimmune diseases, Stress, Pregnancy, old age, lack of exercise, excessive consumption of dairy products and other such factors also contribute in causing this problem. Contrary to popular misconception, it is not necessary to have bowel movements every day.
Natural Home Remedies to Relieve Constipation
• Consumption of guava (preferably with seeds), bran cereal, papaya, apple, mango, pear, bael, black olives, spinach and other such foods is useful in relieving Constipation naturally. Guava, in particular works as a good natural cure for Constipation relief when taken regularly on an empty stomach early in the morning.
• Almond oil, castor oil and olive oil are regarded as excellent natural home remedies to relieve Constipation. For instance, having a combination of half a cup of olive oil and half a cup of orange juice helps heal Constipation naturally by aiding in the process of digestion.
Consuming lukewarm milk mixed with 1-2 teaspoons of almond oil or 2-4 teaspoons of castor oil is useful in curing as well as avoiding Constipation. Follow this natural remedy before bed time.
• Natural juices extracted from oranges, figs, prunes, apples, mulberries, cabbage leaves, aloe vera etc are highly beneficial in the natural treatment of Constipation. Regular consumption of these juices also helps prevent Constipation. Drinking half a glass of fig juice mixed with half a glass of prune juice in the morning serves as an effective Constipation home remedy.
• Before having a meal, swallow a teaspoon of linseed along with water. This is extremely useful in providing Constipation relief without the help of artificial laxatives.
• Taking 5-6 dates along with warm milk is highly beneficial in relieving Constipation naturally at home. Alternatively, you can soak two dates in water overnight, mash them in the morning and consume two teaspoons of this mixture after having meals.
• Having eight ounces of warm water mixed with one tablespoon of corn syrup is one of the most popular home remedies to relieve Constipation.
• Squeeze half a lime in a glass of lukewarm warm and add a teaspoon of honey in the solution. Drink this mixture daily in the morning to get rid of Constipation.
• Drinking a decoction prepared by boiling seven to eight figs in water is one of the most valuable natural home remedies to relieve Constipation. Follow this therapy before bed time for 3-4 nights. Alternatively, you can have about five or six dried figs soaked in water overnight. Drink the remaining water as well. You can also have fennel decoction to improve digestion.
• Taking three teaspoons of psyllium husk mixed in warm milk or water at night helps heal Constipation in a natural way. Eating a few raisins soaked in water is also useful in getting rid of this problem.
• Regularly drinking a combination of carrot juice and spinach juice taken in equal quantities is a valuable natural remedy for Constipation home treatment.
• Alternative therapies such as abdominal massage, yoga and acupressure work as excellent natural treatments to cure Constipation. Enemas are also used to help relieve Constipation.
When dealing with Constipation, try not to use artificial laxatives on a regular basis as it tends to weaken bowel muscles and hence proves harmful in the long run. Instead, it is better to embark on a balanced and healthy diet with special emphasis on inclusion of fibrous raw fruits, lightly steamed vegetables, sprouts, rice, oats, legumes etc.
Stay away from red meat, processed and fatty foods, items prepared from white flour and other such fast foods. In addition, drinking plenty of water serves as one of the simplest natural home remedies to relieve Constipation.