Problems like hair thinning and hair fall are distressing for men and women alike. As they gradually lead to hair loss, they are particularly disturbing for women because thick, silky, lustrous locks are considered as a sign of beauty.
Furthermore, healthy tresses indicate health and youth. Even the Bible states, “Does not nature teach you that in a man, if his hair grows long, it is a reproach to him? But for a woman, if her hair is abundant, it is a glory to her.”
Thus, issues like hair thinning and loss of hair affect a woman’s self esteem and confidence. After all, hair is an important part of one’s appearance and personality.
Factors that Promote Hair Thinning
- Physical and emotional stress (alters the normal hair cycle)
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Improper hair care (excessive shampooing, frequent bleaching, heat treatments, etc.)
- Nervous habits (scalp rubbing, hair pulling)
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Ailments like autoimmune diseases, anemia, scalp infections
- Certain medications such as beta blockers, NSAIDs, antidepressants, and so on
- Radiation therapy
Furthermore, hair loss caused by thyroid disorders can be reversed by taking up the proper treatment to regulate the thyroid hormone. Similarly, hair thinning caused by a particular illness or disease can be cured by treating the ailment.
12 Home Remedies for Hair Thinning in Women
- When dealing with hair problems, it is highly recommended to massage your scalp gently with your fingers because it stimulates circulation. Moreover, you can massage your hair with extra-virgin coconut oil, olive oil, to promote healthy hair growth. Preferably, heat the oil slightly before applying it and leave it on your head for at least 45 minutes before shampooing.
- Rosemary oil, too, is good for hair. So, you can mix one part of rosemary essential oil in two parts of almond oil and massage this oil onto your hair and scalp to eliminate loss of hair. Other hair oils that nourish and moisturize your tresses include castor oil, emu oil, argan oil, amla oil, and so on.
- Applying coconut milk on hair and scalp about two to three times in a week can also help treat hair loss. Continue this natural treatment for at least two months.
- Massage aloe vera gel on your scalp about two times in a week to reduce hair thinning. Leave the sap on your hair for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off. You may also use a combination of coconut milk, aloe vera gel, and wheat germ oil.
- If you are looking for an easy home remedy to get rid of thinning hair, then you can simply add licorice root extract or tincture in a natural shampoo. Besides, you can add a few drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo (10 drops of the oil per 8 ounces of shampoo) to encourage hair growth and eliminate dandruff.
- Another remedy with licorice root involves grinding one tablespoon of licorice root in a blender along with a cup of milk and a quarter teaspoon of saffron. You need to apply this mixture overnight on areas with thinning hair and bald patches.
- Add 60 g of henna leaves in 250 ml mustard oil. Heat this mixture till the leaves are charred. Finally, cool and strain the oil. Massage it on your hair and scalp to prevent and cure hair fall.
- This is another similar home remedy that involves boiling fenugreek seeds in coconut oil. Apply this oil on your hair on a regular basis to treat the problem. Besides, you can simply apply a paste of fenugreek seeds ground along with water. Leave it on the scalp for 40-45 minutes before washing your hair.
- Mix equal amount of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the affected areas for about 10 minutes to cure hair thinning naturally.
- To heal hair thinning caused by scalp infections like ringworm, boil a handful of neem leaves (margosa) in four cups of water. Cool and strain the liquid. Rinse your hair with this herbal remedy at least once a week.
- After shampooing, rinse your hair with water mixed with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and wash it off after a few minutes. It helps cure itchy scalp and dandruff. Moreover, it stimulates the hair follicles, removes product buildup from your scalp and makes your hair smooth and shiny. You can also combine apple cider vinegar with sage tea. Alternatively, you can rinse your hair with a mixture of four ounces each of ACV, water, and 10 drops of sage essential oil.
- Green tea is considered beneficial in treating alopecia. Thus, you can drink green tea on a regular basis and even rinse your hair with this herbal tea to reduce thinning of hair.
You may also consider alternative therapies like acupuncture, yoga, etc. and follow a proper hair care routine. Hair thinning is often attributed to excessive shampooing.
Use of shampoos containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), in particular is associated with hair loss. Plus, needless to say, minimize heat treatments on your hair. In addition, do not brush or comb wet hair as they are weak and prone to breakage.
To get rid of hair thinning caused by nutritional deficiencies, take a balanced diet rich in protein and essential nutrients. Thus, include dairy products, milk, fish, green vegetables, beans, legumes, fresh fruits, etc. in your regular diet. Plus, drink beetroot juice. Besides, you can take dietary supplements, especially folic acid and biotin pills.
In addition, thinning hair can be masked with certain hairstyles and hair styling products. You can discuss these options with your hairdresser to create an illusion of thick hair.
However, do not become worried over your hair loss if you lose a few strands of hair during brushing, while taking a shower, etc. It is normal to lose about 100 strands of hair in a day.