Aloe vera benefits in healing burns, psoriasis, dandruff, cold sores, minor wounds, and so on. It has succulent leaves containing a jelly-like sap. In addition, taking aloe vera juice internally can help cure constipation and other digestive disorders.
Basically, this therapeutic herb reduces skin inflammation and facilitates the process of healing the skin by stimulating collagen and elastin synthesis.
Interestingly, it is believed that ancient Egyptians used to make use of this herb in order to preserve mummies.
Scientific Name: Aloe barbadensis
Other Names: Aloe, true aloe, lily of the desert, burn plant, elephant’s gall, cape aloe, gheekvar, ghratakumari
It is believed that aloe vera is native to the Mediterranean area. This herb belongs to the Liliaceae family. Aloe vera plants are prevalent in hot and dry regions of the world, especially Asia and Africa.
Aloe vera has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, hypogycemic, gastroprotective, and carcinogenic properties. The latex present under the skin of aloe leaf works as a natural laxative.
Besides, it is widely known that aloe vera benefits in treating skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, itching, sunburn, stretch marks, insect bites, frostbite, skin irritation, boils, cold sores, genital herpes, etc.
It is also considered effective for healing first to second degree burns. Plus, this herb helps in getting rid of dandruff and promoting hair growth.
However, although application of aloe vera gel is useful in healing minor wounds, certain studies have shown that it tends to cause delay in the rate of healing deep surgical wounds.
Benefits of aloe vera can also be derived by consuming its juice as it relieves constipation and soothes heartburn.
Moreover, it is useful in dealing with ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticular disorders, type-2 diabetes, asthma, intestinal worms, and so on.
It lowers blood glucose and blood lipid levels. In addition, beta sitosterol present in aloe vera can help lower blood cholesterol. Plus, aloe vera gel works as a natural home remedy to reduce joint pain and inflammation as well.
Check out this video giving information on aloe vera health benefits.
Furthermore, it is good for teeth and gums. In fact, aloe vera strengthens the tooth enamel and heals minor gum irritation. Studies have shown that aloe vera can also help in fighting cancers.
So far, these studies have been conducted on cats and dogs but not on humans. Researchers are studying its cardioprotective and immunomodulatory qualities, too.
Coming to nutrition, aloe vera is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, C, E calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and phytonutrients. It contains essential fatty acids.
Medicinal Uses of Aloe Vera
- • Mix half teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and honey in a tablespoon of kelp powder. Leave it for about 10 minutes. Next, apply the mixture on your face and wash it off with warm water after 15 minutes to get rid of acne.
- • As it is an excellent cooling agent, rubbing the inside of an aloe leaf can soothe sunburn. It also clears blemishes.
- • Simply applying aloe vera juice or a combination of aloe vera gel and grapefruit seed extract helps cure cold sores and fever blisters.
- • Regularly massaging aloe vera gel on skin can reduce wrinkles.
- • Aloe vera juice benefits in cleansing the colon, liver, and kidneys. Moreover, regular intake of about four ounces of aloe vera juice aids in losing weight.
Here’s a video showing how to make fresh aloe vera juice with orange.
- • Drinking some fruit juice such as apple juice or cranberry juice mixed with two tablespoons of aloe vera gel works as one of the simplest aloe vera home remedies for constipation.
- • Consuming a quarter cup of aloe vera juice about 20 to 30 minutes before having a meal can help reduce heartburn.
- • Taking a mixture of aloe vera gel, bay leaf and turmeric is an excellent aloe vera home remedy for diabetes. Follow this therapy two times in a day prior to lunch and dinner.
- • Benefits of aloe vera for arthritis can be derived by regularly having about 30 ml of aloe vera gel.
- • Drinking a mixture of aloe vera gel and coconut water relieves acidity.
- • Consuming pure aloe vera juice is helpful in eliminating intestinal parasites. Plus, it suppresses the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IRB).
- • Drinking aloe vera juice and applying the gel on the affected area is beneficial in the natural treatment of Candidiasis.
- • When dealing with asthma and bronchitis, take 30ml aloe vera gel and a pinch of turmeric powder mixed in a glass of lukewarm water. Follow this procedure early in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- • Rinsing your mouth with aloe vera juice several times in a day is useful in curing mouth sores and ulcers. Rubbing aloe vera pulp on gums and then rinsing the mouth with water can relieve gum inflammation caused by gingivitis.
- • Applying aloe vera gel or juice on the scalp cures dandruff and itchy scalp. You can also add olive oil or jojoba oil in it. It also stimulates hair growth. Combination of aloe vera gel, wheat germ oil, and coconut milk works as a natural shampoo to make your hair grow faster.
Aloe vera benefits skin when it is applied and left on skin for a while until it dries. Thus, there is no need to wipe it off.
Moreover, for best results, it is suggested to apply aloe vera gel on the affected area about three times in a day.
Regular application of pure aloe vera gel is particularly useful when dealing with dry skin. Besides, a gel based on this herb can be used as a natural food preservative for fresh fruits and vegetables.
Individuals who are allergic to other plants of the Liliaceae family, like onion, garlic, asparagus, etc., are likely to be allergic to aloe vera as well. Moreover, although aloe vera benefits in curing several diseases, it should not be used in excess.
For instance, some of the side effects of this herb include diarrhea and abdominal cramps. Ingesting aloe vera juice for a long time (more than a year) can increase the risk of developing colorectal cancer.
Mandee Davidson says
Hi, I was wanting to know how much aloe vera JUICE you should drink each day to curb acid reflux? I have silent reflux and my tongue and mouth BURN as the day goes on to the point that whatever I eat it feels like my throat is swelling up and I get this thick coating on my tongue. 3 Doctors have seen me and said it is not thrush. I am so tired of dealing with this. Been on allergy meds and Prednisone and Prilosec and NOTHING is helping me.
victor mudenda says
aloe vera also expels worms in goats
kamal rambaran says
I ENJOY YOUR WEB PAGE WITH ALL THESE DIFFERENT HERBS AND ITS