If you are looking for a natural and affordable alternative to commercially available alcohol-based mouthwashes containing chemical additives, consider making a mouthwash at home.
You can select your ingredients from a number of choices such as eucalyptus, mint, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, basil, ginger, fennel, honey, oregano, thyme, sage, goldenseal, apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, and so on.
Besides, a simple mixture of salt and water works as an easy yet effective antiseptic homemade mouthwash. To be specific, you can rinse your mouth two to three times in a day with a glass of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of salt.
How to Make Your Own Mouthwash at Home
- • You can prepare herbal mouthwash by boiling a cup of water and infusing fresh or dried herbs in it for about 20 minutes or simply steeping a herb of your choice in boiling water overnight.
In addition, when making a mouthwash at home, it is recommended to use mineral or distilled water instead of normal tap water.
- • Make a refreshing homemade mouthwash by adding half a cup of plain soda, one teaspoon of aloe vera gel, ten drops of lemon essential oil, and four drops of vegetable glycerin in a cup of mineral water.
- • Boil a cup of distilled water and pour it in a jar containing two tablespoons each of peppermint and lavender. Cover the jar and let the herbs steep for 30-40 minutes.
Then, strain the fluid and add two tablespoons of vodka in it. Store this homemade mouthwash in a sterilized glass bottle.
- • Infuse two teaspoons of mint leaves, one and a half teaspoons of rosemary, and one and a half teaspoons of anise seeds in four to four and a half cups of boiling water for about half an hour.
Cool and strain the liquid. Use this mouthwash regularly to get rid of bad breath. Store this recipe in a sterilized bottle for future use.
- • Another easy way to clean your mouth is to rinse your mouth with a glass of water mixed with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
Here’s a video showing how to make a mouthwash at home.
- • Add a quarter cup each of witch hazel and aloe vera juice in one-eighth cup of distilled water. Next, put one drop of chamomile essential oil, one drop of mint essential oil, and a drop of tea tree oil in it.
Shake well and set it aside for half an hour. Finally, refrigerate the recipe and use it from next day onwards. To use, just pour two tablespoons of this solution in a quarter cup of warm water.
- • When dealing with canker sores, rinse your mouth with a solution prepared by mixing two parts of hydrogen peroxide and one part of water.
- • Another easy mouthwash for canker sores and mouth ulcers involves using a combination of Milk of Magnesia and Benadryl.
- • Rinsing your mouth with half a cup of water mixed with a few drops of grapefruit seed extract is excellent for soothing sore and bleeding gums. You may add clove essential oil, too.
- • Mix one tablespoon of xylitol, four teaspoons of baking soda, a quarter teaspoon of sea salt, three drops of grapefruit seed extract, and a drop of clove essential oil, in a cup of distilled water to make a mouthwash that to eliminate germs and prevent tooth decay. Xylitol is a natural sugar-alcohol that may take some time to dissolve, but it will dissolve eventually.
- • Freshen you breath by swishing with a solution prepared by mixing two drops each of peppermint essential oil, tea tree oil, and half a teaspoon of baking soda in three ounces of distilled water.
- • Take two cups of boiling water, and mix two cloves and one-eighth teaspoon of ground cardamom in it. Allow it to steep until the water cools. Finally, strain the liquid. Pour it in a glass bottle with a tight lid and store.
You just have to rinse your mouth with one tablespoon of this mouthwash for about 20-30 seconds to heal halitotis and get relief from tooth troubles because these herbs have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties.
Leave a Reply