Honey is considered wonderful for beauty care because it works as a natural humectant, that is, it promotes moisture retention.
Honey has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and mild antiseptic properties. It contains various vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, sulfur, potassium, etc.
Moreover, honey stimulates the growth of new tissues. As it usually does not cause skin irritation, honey can be used on sensitive skin as well.
Honey remedies are likely to give best results when you use raw honey (unpasteurized) or manuka honey. The latter is particularly good for curing wounds as it great antibacterial quality.
Homemade Beauty Recipes with Honey
- • Massage a combination of four tablespoons of plain yogurt, two tablespoons of organic honey, and two teaspoons of lemon juice on your skin.
You may also add two tablespoons of milk in the mixture. It works as a natural cleanser. Furthermore, this face mask makes your skin soft, smooth, and radiant.
- • You can prepare a homemade skin care recipe for exfoliation by adding two tablespoons of finely ground almonds and half a teaspoon of lemon juice in a tablespoon of honey. In case you have dry skin, replace the lemon juice with milk, preferably whole milk.
- • Combine one tablespoon each of honey and aloe vera gel. Smear this paste on your face and neck for 15-20 minutes to smoothen and moisten your skin.
- • Prepare a simple yet rejuvenating facial mask by mixing a teaspoon of honey in tomato pulp. Apply the recipe on your face and neck for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water to brighten your skin naturally. It helps cure blemishes, too.
- • Another home remedy to get soft, glowing skin involves the use of a quarter cup of honey mixed with three teaspoons of rose water.
Here’s a video showing how to make a milk and honey facial mask at home.
- • When dealing with acne, regularly apply a tablespoon of honey mixed with two drops of tea tree oil and rinse it off after 15-20 minutes.
- • To get rid of acne scars, mix a tablespoon of cinnamon powder in three tablespoons of honey and squeeze a lemon. Apply it on your face. After 10 minutes, wash it off with warm water. You may also consider leaving it on your skin overnight.
- • After shampooing, condition your hair by rinsing with a solution of four cups of warm water mixed with a teaspoon of honey. Leave the honey rinse in your hair for a few minutes. Finally, wash it out with normal water. It makes your hair soft and shiny.
Apart from these skin care recipes, pure honey can be used as a natural remedy for healing minor burns, wounds, and other skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, etc. It also helps prevent and minimize scarring.
Besides, taking honey internally benefits in maintaining health as it aids in digestion, relieves diarrhea, treats gastroenteritis, increases calcium absorption, calms the nerves, promotes sleep, soothes sore throat, cures mouth ulcers, and so on.
When consuming honey, make sure you do not heat it excessively as it tends to destroy certain enzymes present in honey.