Bitter gourd benefits in controlling diabetes due to its hypoglycaemic activity. Moreover, it improves digestion and helps cure a number of ailments like colic, fever, anemia, piles, kidney stones, intestinal worms, herpes, ulcers, skin eruptions, etc.
As the name suggests, bitter gourd or bitter melon is bitter in taste. It is low in calories and rich in phytonutrients.
Apart from the fruit, the leaves and root of bitter gourd also have therapeutic qualities. It is used as a vegetable in traditional Asian cuisine.
Scientific Name: Momordica charantia L.
Other Names: Bitter melon, Bitter cucumber, Carilla gourd, Ampalaya, Karela, Pavel, Kaippa, Parkai, Kugua, Pare, Goya, Kho qua, Karavila, Faaga, Cerasse
Bitter gourd is believed to have originated in South East Asia. It grows in tropical and subtropical areas, and belongs to the Cucurbitaceae (cucumber) family.
Bitter gourd has cardioprotective, antihelmintic, antiviral, antimicrobial, antilipolytic, anti-inflammatory, emmenagogue, diuretic, and antioxidant properties. Its root has aphrodisiac properties.
A compound called charantin present in bitter gourd benefits diabetic patients by reducing blood sugar levels. Smaller varieties of this fruit are considered better in this regard. Moreover, bitter gourd should be included in the diet when dealing with rheumatoid arthritis.
Due to its anti-malarial qualities, bitter gourd benefits in preventing as well as curing malaria. Moreover, it contains compounds that prevent certain types of cancers, especially breast cancer.
This fruit also facilitates in the herbal treatment of AIDS as its ribosome-inactivating proteins have been found to inhibit HIV in lab tests.
Bitter gourd leaf tea is useful in relieving intestinal gas, healing fever, and curing menstrual problems. It stimulates digestion and hence provides relief from indigestion, flatulence, stomach ache, and constipation.
Benefits of bitter gourd can be derived by applying it topically. Thus, it heals eczema, psoriasis, scabies, itchy rashes, leprosy and other types of skin disease. Regular consumption of this fruit helps avoid high blood pressure.
Check out this video giving information on bitter gourd health benefits for diabetes.
Plus, by reducing insulin resistance, detoxifying the body, and regulating the metabolism, bitter gourd or bitter melon benefits in weight loss. Its juice is helpful in dealing with eye complications and neuritis.
In terms of nutrition, bitter melon is rich in vitamin B1, B2, B3, C, beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, and phosphorus.
In addition, it works as a natural blood purifier. Regularly taking about an ounce bitter gourd juice strengthens the immune system.
Medicinal Uses of Bitter Gourd
- • Drinking at least a tablespoon of juice extracted from bitter melons (after removing the seeds) is one of the most popular bitter gourd home remedies for diabetes.
Follow this therapy every morning on an empty stomach for about three to five months. You can also add green apple juice, Indian gooseberry (amla) juice, or 2-3 pinches of asafetida powder in it.
- • Regular consumption of bitter gourd benefits in healing the problem of blood in urine. Moreover, when dealing with haematuria, you should also include drumsticks in your diet.
- • Taking bitter gourd leaf juice mixed with honey three times in a day can reduce malarial fever.
- • Consuming a teaspoon of bitter gourd root paste mixed with honey or juice extracted from basil leaves helps in the treatment of respiratory disorders such as asthma, bronchitis, pharyngitis, cough and cold. Take this mixture every night for at least one month.
- • Regularly taking buttermilk mixed with bitter gourd leaf juice in the morning works as a natural cure for alcoholism.
- • Bitter gourd benefits in dealing with bleeding hemorrhoids as well. For this, you need to drink a glass of buttermilk mixed with a tablespoon of juice extracted from bitter gourd leaves. Follow this therapy daily in the morning. It also removes intestinal worms.
- • When suffering from measles, take a tablespoon of bitter gourd leaf juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey and two pinches of turmeric powder. Consume this mixture two times in a day.
- • Taking a glass of milk mixed with three teaspoons of bitter gourd leaf juice in the morning helps cure constipation. Continue this procedure for one month. Simply taking half a teaspoon of juice extracted from bitter melon fruit two times in a day is also beneficial in this regard.
- • Another benefit of bitter gourd juice is that it can stimulate menstruation. For this, you can drink a decoction prepared from bitter gourd roots.
- • Consuming half a cup of juice extracted from bitter melon twice a day helps in treating enlarged spleen. You can also add a half a teaspoon of mustard powder in it.
- • Having a home medicine prepared by mixing two teaspoons each of fresh bitter gourd leaf juice, onion juice and a teaspoon of lemon juice serves as an effective natural remedy for early stages of cholera.
- • Blood purifying benefits of bitter gourd can be derived by having half a cup of bitter gourd juice mixed with an equal amount of lime juice. Drink this solution daily on an empty stomach for a couple of months.
- • Consuming half a teaspoon of bitter gourd juice two to three times a day for about a couple of months provides relief from Leucorrhoea.
- • Drinking a cup of bitter gourd juice mixed with a tablespoon of lime juice is useful in getting rid of psoriasis. Follow this therapy for at least four months.
- • Combination of bitter melon juice and lime juice taken on an empty stomach for about a week is also useful in reducing skin inflammation caused by scabies. Besides, you can apply bitter melon juice on wounds and fungal infections such as ringworm and athlete’s foot.
When using bitter gourd for cooking, you can reduce the bitterness of these fruits by soaking them in a bowl filled with salt water for at least half an hour. Its pith and seeds are usually removed before cooking or extracting bitter gourd juice.
Excessive consumption of bitter gourd can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
Furthermore, it is believed to have abortifacient properties. Thus, use of bitter gourd is contraindicated during pregnancy and even breast-feeding.
As bitter gourd benefits in the managing diabetes by increasing insulin sensitivity and decreasing blood sugar levels, it is suggested to keep monitoring your blood sugar and consult with your doctor before taking this herb as a medicine.
Plus, individuals with impaired hepatic function should use bitter gourd with caution. It is not recommended for small children, too.
Though Im pregnant I want know where to get this bitter melon herbs b/c Im having mensuration problem
jeannette ortiz says
This is a true fact from my own lifestyle:
1. My breakfast is only 1-slice about 2″x4″ of fresh bitter gourd, with 1-pc. ripe fresh native red pepper, 2-medium pcs. of fresh green native lemon juice, 1-capsule of sharks liver oil squalene and 1-cup of OrganoGold red mushroom coffee ( black or with cream). As soon as i finish the last drop of my coffee, i have to go to my restroom and to poo and i am so satisfied to do my popoo and feeling fresh after my popoo.
I am doing this for more than 10-years now because i wan’t to stay fit and healthy. I am now 55 years old but my body energy and stamina, i felt i go back to my 27 years old in energy and i am so active. And i observe that even i have finish my menopausal already in my 38 years old and i have suffered flushing before, but when i started this food intake lifestyle, my flushing in my meno -pausal syndrome was gone, and my hormones becomes balance which gives me a very good feeling. I am full of energy and very active during the day mentally and physically. And when the night comes, at 8:30pm. or the very latest is 10pm., i can really sleep and very sound sleep for 8 hours until i wake up the following morning. If you want to see how fit i am, you can see me in my Facebook account email@example.com
My laboratory test and examinations which i did frequently because i am happy seeing my laboratory result every time, can prove that i have gained best health physically and of course i am also practicing Spiritual Wellness as well….I am praying that humans will desire to go back to NATURAL LIFESTYLE & USING NATURAL HERB BECAUSE THIS IS HUMAN FRIENDLY FOOD AND NATURAL HEALING. Its just a matter of LOVING & CARING TO SELF