Cinnamon benefits the heart and kidneys. In addition, this herb improves the flow of circulation and strengthens the immune system. Besides, a combination of cinnamon and honey aids in weight loss.
The aromatic herb has an exotic flavor and sweet smell. Hence, it is used for enhancing the flavor of various culinary preparations.
Cinnamon spice is actually the dried inner brown bark of cinnamon tree. Interestingly, it is believed that ancient Romans used this spice as a perfume.
Scientific Name: Cinnamomum zeylanicun (indigenous to Sri Lanka), Cinnamomum verum
Other Names: Karuvapatta, Kayu manis, Cassia vera, Kurundu, Darushila, Kwai (Chinese), Cannelle (French), Canela (Spanish)
This herb is native to South East Asia. It is grown in tropical climates of Java, Sumatra, Mauritius, Guyana, Borneo, RÃ©union and also in South America, West Indies, etc. Cinnamon belongs to the Lauraceae family.
Cinnamon or Dalchini has antimicrobial, anti-clotting, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, diuretic, and aphrodisiac properties. It is rich in antioxidants and contains minerals such as manganese, iron and calcium.
In addition, cinnamon oil has astringent, antiseptic and carminative qualities. The soothing aroma of cinnamon comes from an essential oil called cinnamonaldehyde. This oil, however, can be toxic when taken in higher doses.
The polyphenols present in this spice improve insulin sensitivity. Moreover, cinnamon reduces LDL cholesterol, thereby reducing the chances of cardiovascular disease. Plus, it helps burn body fat and removes impurities from blood.
Besides, cinnamon benefits in the natural treatment of sore throat, common cold, cough, influenza, and hoarseness in voice. It improves colon health and heals issues like indigestion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and gas.
Due to its antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial qualities, this herb helps cure infections. In fact, it has been observed that cinnamon has the ability to stop yeast infection that is resistant to medication.
Here’s a video giving information about cinnamon health benefits.
You can also reduce bad breath simply by having a cinnamon chewing gum or rinsing your mouth with a solution of one cup water mixed with a teaspoon of cinnamon powder (use it as a mouth wash). Cinnamon gums, toothpastes and candies, however, may give rise to sores on tongue, mouth or lips.
Apart from these health benefits of cinnamon (Dalchini), the fabulous aroma of this herb boosts brain activity, cognitive processing and has a positive impact on the mood. It is a calming herb that can reduce headache and induce sleep.
Medicinal Uses of Cinnamon or Dalchini
- • Simply chewing pure cinnamon helps relieve toothache. Besides, you can apply a mixture of five teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Follow this honey and cinnamon remedy about three times in a day.
- • Consume a mixture of two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder daily in the morning before breakfast to cure inflammation and arthritic pain. Alternatively, you can add this in a cup of warm water and drink it.
Follow this therapy for at least two weeks. It is worth noting that as this spice reduces chronic inflammation, it can help in controlling neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, meningitis, etc.
- • Health benefits of cinnamon can be enhanced by taking it in combination with certain other herbs. For instance, boil a cup of water and add half teaspoon each of cinnamon and black pepper powder in it. Finally, sweeten the decoction with honey and drink it to get rid of a cold and sore throat.
Drinking cinnamon tea prepared by steeping a cinnamon stick in boiling water is also beneficial in this regard. Consume this tea twice in a day.
- • Having a therapeutic tea prepared from half a teaspoon of ginger, a quarter teaspoon of powdered cloves and the same amount of cinnamon, all mixed in a cup of boiling water is useful in treating cough naturally. You can also add honey in the solution.
- • Regularly taking a teaspoon of honey mixed with a pinch of cinnamon powder improves memory and strengthens the nerves. You can also apply it on your face and neck to lighten skin complexion.
- • Another cinnamon home remedy for beauty involves application of a mixture of one teaspoon each of lime juice and cinnamon powder on acne and pimples to cure them.
- • Boil a cup of water and add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in it. Leave it for five minutes. Finally, sweeten the solution with honey and drink it two times in a day to induce sleep.
- • When working as a muscle relaxant, cinnamon benefits in reducing menstrual cramps. Thus, you can take cinnamon tea or drink a cup of warm milk mixed with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. You can also add some honey for taste.
- • Prepare a paste by adding one teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and cumin powder along with little honey. Have one teaspoon of this mixture three times in a day to relieve diarrhea. When dealing with nausea, just consume a pinch of cinnamon bark powder to heal the problem.
- • Take one teaspoon of water and add a teaspoon of cinnamon in it. Apply this on the forehead and temples to reduce headache.
- • Combination of honey and cinnamon in a ratio of 2:1 facilitates weight loss. For instance, you can boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of honey and half a teaspoon of cinnamon in it.
Cover and let it steep for about half an hour. Finally, add honey and drink half of this liquid before going to sleep. Consume the rest on the next day in the morning (empty stomach).
- • Having half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in the morning helps control diabetes. Follow this home treatment for about 40-45 days by adding cinnamon in your herbal tea or breakfast cereal.
Cinnamon is also used as a natural preservative, especially for meats because it inhibits bacterial growth. This spice is a common baking ingredient and is used in hot fruit drinks as well.
In certain parts of the world, particularly, US and Canada, cassia (Cinnamomum aromaticaum) is used instead of true cinnamon.
Cassia, however, contains higher levels of a plant component known as Coumarin which can be harmful for the liver. Cassia is usually dark brown in color and has a stronger taste.
Individuals suffering from irritable bowel syndrome and ulcers should not take this herb in large doses (more than half a teaspoon) as it tends to irritate the lining if the stomach. In addition, excessive consumption of cinnamon or Dalchini can cause excessive sweating on palms.
Moreover, direct application of cinnamon oil can cause redness, skin irritation or allergic skin reaction. Thus, it should be mixed with base oil and then applied. Plus, remember that cinnamon oil is not meant to be ingested.
Besides, pregnant women should take cinnamon with caution because it stimulates uterine contractions. As cinnamon contributes in blood thinning, its use should be discontinued about two weeks prior to a surgery. It can also interfere with antibiotics, heart medications and diabetes drugs.
Cinnamon benefits the health when taken in moderation, that is, about three grams of cinnamon spice which is equal to 500 mg of the extract. Thus, you can safely take up to one or two teaspoons of cinnamon powder in a day.