Coconut benefits the immune system and boosts the metabolism. Plus, it supports the thyroid function, aids in proper digestion, and stabilizes blood glucose levels. Moreover, coconut oil is excellent for stimulating hair growth.
Coconut is a tropic fruit containing a numerous vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Thus, coconut, especially tender coconut water derived from green coconuts is considered good for pregnant women. Young coconuts are considered healthier than mature coconuts as they have pure unsaturated fats.
Scientific Name: Cocos nucifera
Other Names: Nariyal, Gari, Thengai, Narikelamu, Maprao, Kokos, Kelapa
Some authorities believe that coconut is native to the Indo-Pacific region whereas others believe that it originated in northwestern South America. This plant belongs to the Arecaceae family. It is called the “Tree of Life” in Philippines.
Healing PropertiesCoconut has antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antioxidant properties.
Thus, it fights infections and diseases like herpes, influenza, measles, gonorrhea, gum disease, athlete’s foot, candidiasis, ringworm, thrush, and so on. Moreover, this functional food boosts energy and endurance.
Coconut benefits in lowering cholesterol, reducing high blood pressure (coconut water is high in potassium), and preventing heart disease. Regular consumption of coconut water reduces the risk of atherosclerosis.
Coconut stabilizes blood glucose levels, improves insulin secretion, and reduces hypoglycemic cravings. Hence, it is beneficial in diabetes. In addition, it aids in weight loss by increasing metabolism.
As coconut helps in the absorption of calcium and magnesium, it helps prevent osteoporosis. Due to its anti-cancer qualities, coconut protects against certain cancers, too. Plus, it strengthens the immune system.
In addition, consumption of organic coconut oil reduces the symptoms of pancreatitis as it relieves stress on the pancreas.
The oil is also useful in getting rid of digestive disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s disease, etc.
It stimulates the metabolism and thyroid function. Moreover, massaging coconut oil on the scalp promotes hair growth. It also rejuvenates the skin, heals skin diseases, cures age spots, and helps avoid wrinkles.
Here’s a video explaining coconut oil health benefits.
Researchers have come up with another benefit of coconut oil. They believe that coconut oil can be used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease because it contains kenotes that provide an alternative source of energy for brain cells. However, further studies are still required in this regard.
Tender coconut water has cooling properties and is good for health as it prevents dehydration and provides relief from fatigue.
Being a natural diuretic, it helps in the treatment of urinary tract infections and kidney stones. Moreover, intake of coconut water improves mental concentration, and relieves stress and anxiety.
Benefits of coconut can be derived by making use of coconut flesh, coconut oil and coconut water. Earlier, coconut oil was considered unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content.
However, as most of the saturated fatty acids present in coconut are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), they are now considered healthy as they promote fat oxidation and do not require energy for absorption. Thus, the popular conception that taking coconut oil causes weight gain does not hold true.
Medicinal Uses of Coconut
- • Having tender coconut water is highly beneficial in healing indigestion, stomach ulcers, acidity, heartburn, diarrhea, and nausea naturally. It is particularly good for expectant mothers.
- • Drinking a cup of coconut water mixed with a teaspoon of olive oil is useful in improving digestion and reducing intestinal worms. Continue taking this solution for three days.
- • Regularly consuming fresh coconut meat relieves constipation. Besides, you can take a tablespoon of coconut oil before meals.
- • Take a cup of warm coconut oil and add half a teaspoon of camphor (or a few drops of white camphor essential oil) in it. Rub this solution on the chest to alleviate cough.
- • Having almost two and a half cups of coconut water in the breakfast reduces bad cholesterol (LDL).
- • Coconut benefits in controlling diabetes by having one tablespoon of organic coconut oil about two to three times in a day.
- • Consuming one or two tablespoons of organic coconut oil regularly can help reduce hot flashes associated with menopause.
- • Massaging stiffed joints with warm coconut oil mixed with 2-3 pieces of camphor is valuable in the natural treatment of arthritis to provide relief from pain and inflammation.
- • Application of coconut oil on teeth and gums make them healthy and strong. Gargling with coconut milk cures mouth ulcers.
- • Fry three cloves in a teaspoon of coconut oil and apply this home medicine on the affected area to soothe toothache.
- • To cure dandruff and stimulate hair growth, massage your scalp generously with warm coconut oil and shampoo your hair after at least half an hour. Follow this therapy two to three times in a week.
- • Benefits of coconut oil for skin can be derived by applying coconut oil several times in a day to get rid of issues like dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, age spots, etc.
- • Soak 10 almonds in water overnight. Next day, remove their skin and grind them. Add one teaspoon of coconut oil, and half teaspoon each of milk cream and wheat flour in the almond paste. Allying this mixture on face and neck on a regular basis lightens skin color naturally over a period of time.
- • Simply applying coconut oil around the eyes helps remove fine lines and under eye wrinkles. You can also use coconut water for this purpose.
- • Using extra virgin coconut oil on lips works as one of the most effective coconut home remedies for dry, chapped lips.
- • When dealing with Athlete’s foot, crush a garlic clove in a tablespoon of coconut oil and rub the mixture on the affected area. Follow this therapy two times in a day.
Apart from these medicinal uses, coconut is used in various culinary preparations as well, especially in desserts. Coconut milk (produced by blending desiccated coconut with hot water or milk) is also used in certain cuisines, particularly Asian.
Check out this video showing how to make coconut milk at home.
Furthermore, coconut water serves as a wonderful beverage for refreshment. In fact, it is being used as an isotonic sports drink, nowadays.
Leave a Reply