Coconut milk can prove highly beneficial for your skin and hair as it is loaded with fats and antioxidants. It moisturizes your skin and conditions your hair. Moreover, it strengthens the roots and improves the manageability of curly hair.
Plus, application of coconut milk soothes itching sensation. Thus, it considered good in the treatment of eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. In addition, simply massaging the skin with coconut oil avoids skin discoloration.
You can purchase a can of organic coconut milk from a grocery store or heath food store. Besides, you may prepare it yourself at home by blending coconut meat along with coconut water and plain water for almost half a minute. Finally, strain the milk through a nut milk bag or a few layers of cheesecloth.
Here’s a video showing how to make coconut milk with shredded coconut.
Beauty Recipes Using Coconut Milk
- • Prepare a natural body scrub by mixing four tablespoons of coconut milk and one and a half tablespoon of organic coconut oil in a cup of sea salt. You may add coconut milk and a few drops of aromatherapy oil in the recipe.
Use it about once a week to exfoliate the skin. In case you have dry and sensitive skin, you may use brown sugar instead of sea salt.
- • You can also add half a cup of coconut milk and the same amount of rose water in warm bath water and soak in it for about 15 minutes to restore moisture and get silky soft skin. Simply soaking in coconut milk is beneficial for soothing itching and sunburn.
- • Add a tablespoon of honey in half a cup of coconut milk and pour the contents of a vitamin E capsule by squeezing it. Dip a cotton ball or swab in this solution and rub it on your face and neck. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- • Make a homemade sunscreen by heating a cup of jojoba oil mixed with a tablespoon of emulsifying wax mixed and two tablespoons of zinc oxide. You can either use a microwave or a double-boiler for this purpose.
Next, put a teaspoon of vitamin E oil in it. Set this solution aside. Mix two tablespoons of aloe vera gel in half a cup of coconut milk and heat the mixture slightly until so that it becomes warm.
Pour this mixture on the solution you prepared earlier while stirring it (use a wire whisk or hand mixer, preferably) until it becomes thick. Finally, add 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract and 20-30 drops of a non-citrus essential oil of your choice.
- • Squeeze out the pulp of a medium-sized avocado and mash it. Next, mix half a can of coconut milk and three teaspoons of olive oil or sweet almond oil in the fruit and apply it on your hair. Wash it off after about 20 minutes. This hair care recipe helps deep condition dull, dry hair.
Check out this video showing how to make the avocado and coconut milk hair mask.
- • To encourage hair growth, reduce dandruff, and prevent premature graying of hair, regularly apply a combination of equal parts of coconut milk and amla (Indian gooseberry) oil on your hair and scalp for at least half an hour.
- • You can prepare a homemade shampoo by combining a quarter cup of coconut milk, one-third cup of liquid castle soap, 10-20 drops of an aromatic essential oil of your choice (like that of lavender, sage, rosemary, etc.), and one teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil or vitamin E oil.
Apart from the beauty benefits, intake of coconut milk can also improve your health as it aids in digestion and boosts immunity. Being rich in potassium, it reduces hypertension and corrects electrolyte imbalance.