What is Acid Reflux in Babies?
Acid Reflux in babies is more common till they are 3-4 months old. Usually, the condition heals on it’s on by the time they are one or one and a half year old. It is called Gastro Esophageal Reflux or GER.
It involves regurgitation that makes your baby “spit up” after a meal. You can reduce this problem considerably by using some natural home remedies for Acid Reflux in babies.
However, persistent regurgitation accompanied by other complications like esophagitis, frequent vomiting, inadequate growth, oral aversion, recurrent wheezing, colic etc may indicate more serious condition called Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
Causes and Symptoms of Acid Reflux in Babies
As babies have relatively weak digestive system, they tend to spit up ingested food after some feedings when the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) opens up to release gas.
This regurgitation is referred to as normal Acid Reflex in babies, especially during the first three months. Stomach contents may also back up into the esophagus during coughing, straining or crying.
Common symptoms of Acid Reflux in babies are spitting up, vomiting, irritability, coughing, abdominal pain, gas, frequent hiccups, drooling, crying, refusal to eat and other such issues.
In case the symptoms are severe, the infant may not have gain healthy weight properly. On the other hand, the symptom of spitting up ingested food may not be present in infants suffering from silent reflux.
Natural Home Remedies for Acid Reflux in Babies
• Natural home remedies for Acid Reflux in babies usually involve changes in feeding techniques to avoid the problem as far as possible. Interrupting feedings to make the baby burp is also considered as a useful therapy in avoiding infant acid reflux. Frequent burping helps release extra air taken in during feeding.
• Keeping the baby in upright position (about 30 to 45 degree incline) during and after feedings serves as a good natural remedy for Acid Reflux in babies. Do not lay the baby down immediately after feeding. Moreover, do not over feed the baby. Instead, opt for smaller, more frequent feedings.
• Natural remedies for Acid Reflux in babies also make use of proper dosages of homeopathic medicines advised by a qualified professional.
• Try to make your baby sleep on the back or on the left side at least 20-30 minutes after feeding. This simple infant Acid Reflux home remedy aids in digestion as well. In addition, raise the top of the crib about 4-6 inches or use a sleeping wedge to keep the baby’s head elevated during sleep.
Do not place the baby flat on the back. Using a pillow to keep the baby’s head elevated is also not advisable. If you are not sure about any of these options then the best natural way to heal this problem is to let the baby sleep in your arms for a while.
• Adding a little bit of rice cereal in the baby’s formula to thicken the formula is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Acid Reflux in babies. You might have to enlarge the hole in the nipple to make it easy for your baby to have the thickened liquid.
Nonetheless, be cautious while feeding this mixture to your baby. It is better to take your doctor’s advice before adopting this Acid Reflux natural remedy for your child because it makes the meal harder to digest.
• Do not make the baby wear tight diaper or clothing that tends to put pressure on the stomach. Hence, opt for comfortable one piece clothing more often. This simple tip works as a valuable home treatment for Acid Reflux in babies.
• Boil two cups of water mixed with few cumin seeds for about five minutes. Cool and strain the solution. Finally, let the baby sip one or two teaspoons of this solution two times in a day. This helps a great deal in relieving Acid Reflux in babies.
• Factors like caring through frequent bonding close to your skin, nursing in quiet dark room or warm bath or nursing when the baby is sleepy are considered as excellent natural home remedies for Acid Reflux in babies.
Diet for Acid Reflux in Babies
It is recommended that babies should be fed breast milk instead of artificial milk formulations because the former is easy to digest and hence serves as a good natural cure for Acid Reflux in babies.
Moreover, nursing mother should avoid having dairy products, animal proteins, citrus fruits, carbonated beverages and other acidic and high-fat foods that can trigger Acid Reflux due to food allergies or sensitivity.
In case you are using milk formula, go for goat milk formula or ask your pediatrician to recommend a formula suitable for your baby. Besides, under normal circumstances, follow natural treatment consisting of home remedies for Acid Reflux in babies before switching to prescribed drugs unnecessarily.
I would like to know of more remedies except having to take my daughter in for GERD Surgery. She has had the problem since she was 7mths old, we took her in and the Hospital gave her REGLAN!!!! YES, REGLAN we gave it to her for like two weeks until we looked on this website and saw that it was in for a recall. She’s almost two and she still has this, i’m not giving her any meds right not because of that situation. But i’m looking for a better solution as to what i should do, because it’s really concerning me as a parent that my child hasn’t gotten over this yet. And will she have to deal with this later on as she grows.