What Are Acne Scars?
Acne scars are the marks of acne left behind on the skin, after the acne is cured. Acne scars are most often the product of an inflamed lesion, such as a papule, pustule, or cyst. Acne scars do not pose a medical problem but do cause emotional problems to the sufferers.
Acne causes different kinds of scars. Atrophic scars are depressed scars. They are small when they occur on the face but larger if they occur elsewhere. Post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation (PIH is temporary discoloration of the skin that fades on its own. They are left behind once the acne has healed up. Rolling scars give skin a wave-like appearance. Ice pick scars are deep pitted scars with steep edges.
Blackheads, whiteheads, and other non-inflamed blemishes don’t cause scarring because they don’t injure skin tissue. The development of the scar depends on the amount of inflammation of the skin. The greater the inflammation, the more scarring will occur.
Causes And Symptoms Of Acne Scars
Acne causes inflammation or tissue injury. The body uses white blood cells, collagen and an array of inflammatory molecules to repair the damage. After the repair, the surface of the skin is not as smooth as it used to be. The repair process leaves fibrous tissues behind, which causes scars.
Scarring frequently results from severe inflammatory nodulocystic acne that occurs deep in the skin. It also may arise from more superficial inflamed lesions.
The symptoms of acne scar are blackheads, red spot, painful papules, pimples, nodules etc. The best approach is prevention. Acne should be treated right away with home remedies for acne, as sometimes even mild acne can cause scarring. Early steps can minimize the risk of permanent acne scars.
Natural Home Remedies For Acne Scars
Most people who suffer from scarring have sensitive skin. They can not use harsh chemical medications. Run of the mill creams and ointments tend to irritate and dry out on sensitive skin. One of the best options for such people is home remedies for acne scars. Some such remedies are:
• Baking soda fades the hyper-pigmentation type of acne scarring. The baking soda alkalizes the skin, making it easier for it to heal. Massage a little onto with skin with water twice a day and rinse.
• Tea tree oil is an anti-fungal agent. It reduces redness and allows the skin to heal faster. Dabbing a little tea tree oil onto the acne scars using a cotton swab is a good idea.
• Sometimes a high level of stress causes acne breakouts. Yoga, exercise, mediation, and breathing techniques help reduce stress levels and hence acne.
• Teas made from a combination of Echinacea, tea tree oil, goldenseal, nettles, calendula, lavender and chamomile help to reduce stress and reduce acne breakouts.
• Teas made from cumin, coriander, and fennel consumed after meals are also an effective way to combat acne and acne scarring.
• Massaging some vitamin E oil into the skin twice a day can soften the skin and improve the appearance of acne scars. It also fights the free radicals that attack the skin, allow it to heal faster.
• Application of tomatoes, sandalwood, cider vinegar, cucumber juice is very effective in treating acne and hence reduces the incidence of scars.
• Applying a paste of gram flour, curd, turmeric and lemon juice for 10-20 minutes will reduce the scars.
• Popping or squeezing pimples increases the chances of getting an infection and making the scarring more prominent.
The best idea is to try and prevent acne from occurring by using home remedies for acne scars which will reduce the possibility of scarring.
Diet For Acne Scars
A balanced and nutritious diet is an answer to most of our ailments. So it is not surprising that it helps heal acne scars too. Foods high in beta-carotene can help to reduce severe acne, and thus reduce scarring. Orange and yellow foods such as carrots, pumpkin, cantaloupe should be included in the diet to prevent acne scarring.
Foods rich in fibers such as oatmeal, rice, brown grains, and applesauce help detoxify the body and reduce acne. Foods such as carrots, squash etc containing vitamin A help in production of collagen that aids skin repair. Flaxseed oil or oily fish such as salmon contain vitamin F; omega fatty acids which decrease facial scarring.
A balanced diet used in combination with home remedies for acne scars is sure to have the desirable effect.