What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a condition in which the sufferer is likely to experience nervousness, fear and worry. It is a normal human emotion. But, when this Anxiety turns into an Anxiety disorder then it is considered as a serious mental illness. Anxiety disorders are characterized by anxiety attacks. Anxiety disorders include Social Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Specific Phobias, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Panic Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Panic attacks generally occur without any prior warning and the patient tends to feel excessive fear in such a state. Patients suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorders are compelled to perform some routines or rituals due to their own fears or thoughts. Social Anxiety Disorder is characterized by self consciousness about daily and routine social activities. Different people have different phobias. Some fear from heights, some fear from water, some people are claustrophobic and so on. Meditating, following simple breathing exercises and adopting natural home remedies for Anxiety can help the sufferer relax and get rid of this problem. Light exercises like walking and cycling are refreshing for the body as well as the mind. Keeping a regular sleep pattern is an essential requirement for the treatment of Anxiety.
Causes and Symptoms of Anxiety
The most important reason responsible for causing Anxiety is Stress. The intensity of the problem depends on the type of personality of the person in question. Different people handle stress differently. Some people are more susceptible to stress related anxiety than others. Besides, certain genetic traits can also be the underlying cause of this problem. Chemical imbalances in the body resulting from certain diseases, especially Diabetes, may lead to Anxiety disorders. It can be associated with Asthma attacks, Anemia and a number of cardiovascular diseases. Intoxication from alcohol and illicit drugs can also be blamed for creating Anxiety and Anxiety disorders.
Some common symptoms of Anxiety include churning stomach, numbness, tense muscles, headache, trembling, shortness of breath, restlessness, frequent urination, nausea, heart palpitation, diarrhea and backache. An anxiety attack may be accompanied by irritation and confusion. Anxiety often leads to difficulty in falling or staying asleep and having nightmares. Mild Anxiety is fuzzy and disturbing whereas severe Anxiety can be extremely devastating, having a serious impact on the daily life.
Natural Home Remedies for Anxiety
• The simplest home remedy to reduce Anxiety is to smell an orange peel. To extract more fragrance, put the orange peel in a pan filled with water, let it cook for some time and then smell it.
• Drinking one cup of orange juice mixed with one teaspoon of honey and a pinch of nutmeg is one of the most highly recommended home remedies for Anxiety related disorders.
• Take a cup of warm milk, ten soaked almonds (soaked overnight), a pinch of nutmeg and the same amount of ginger. Blend the almonds and add the rest of the ingredients to it. Taking this mixture before bedtime serves as an effective natural remedy to get rid of unnecessary Anxiety.
• Celery and onions are successful home remedies for Anxiety caused by nervousness. Taking two cups of raw or cooked celery and onions, whether individually or combined, along with the meals is highly beneficial.
• Drinking rosemary tea or simply inhaling the herb is a very popular natural home remedy to reduce Anxiety.
• Sesame oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil and corn oil are all efficient natural home remedies for Anxiety. Massage the scalp and the base of the feet to cure this problem.
• Taking Siberian ginseng in the morning is an effective natural cure which stimulates the adrenal gland and promotes alertness.
• Therapeutic herbs like lime flowers, lavender, lemon balm, thyme, catnip, hops, orange blossom, skullcap, cloves, valerian, vervain, wood betony and chamomile are valuable natural home remedies for Anxiety and mental stress.
• Aromatherapy and hydrotherapy are also helpful remdies in healing this problem. Taking a long warm bath helps to cleanse the aura and relax the mind and body.
Diet for Anxiety
The diet should have sufficient amount of magnesium. Magnesium deficiencies are known to cause Anxiety, Depression, Insomnia, Confusion, Restlessness and other such symptoms. Prune juice, bananas, cashews, almonds, beans, broccoli, chickpea, lentils and potatoes are rich sources of magnesium. In order to Avoid Anxiety, the patient should stay away from caffeine and nicotine containing products like chocolates, cigarettes, coffee, tea and colas.
Some people can develop moodiness after the consumption of foods like eggs, nuts, shellfish, dairy products, soy products, and wheat. They should identify and eliminate the exact cause resulting from the consumption of such foods and food additives. On the other hand, foods like oats, milk, spinach, yogurt, avocados peanut butter, apricots, baked potatoes, bananas, oats, sesame seeds and cottage cheese have a relaxing effect and help to lift the mood. Food allergies tend to trigger Anxiety attacks. So, it is best to exclude such foods from the diet.