Home remedies for Arthritis in hands consist of a variety of natural cures like gentle massaging with therapeutic oils, steam baths, hand stretching exercises and several other Arthritis home treatments that considerably reduce pain and discomfort associated with this joint inflammation disease.
Arthritis can either be caused by underlying conditions like Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis or due to joint injury. Injuries or traumas increase the risk of arthritis to almost seven times.
Arthritis in hands is characterized by crippling pain (especially during humid weather), inflammation, stiffness and a feeling of warmth in the affected area. It may lead to knobby deformity of finger joints, limited joint mobility, loss of joint function and formation of cysts on ends joints of fingers.
The condition mostly affects older individuals aged 60 years or more because of degeneration of cartilage of joints. It is more common in women. There are numerous medicines and natural home remedies for Arthritis in hands. Surgical treatment may be required in case the condition becomes severe.
Natural Home Remedies for Arthritis in Hands
• Taking a combination of one tablespoon of honey and half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder on a daily basis is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Arthritis in hands. When following this Arthritis natural remedy, make sure that you consume this mixture in the morning before having breakfast.
• Massaging with a mixture of warm olive oil and lavender/sage oil is a highly beneficial home treatment for Arthritis in hands. It helps relieve Arthritis pain and inflammation.
• Fennel oil, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil and other such essential oils can also be used for massaging. Choose a particular essential oil and mix it with some warm carrier oil (such as jojoba oil, olive oil etc) to dilute it.
You can also add a combination of fennel, cypress and juniper oil in warm bath eater mixed with a handful of rock salt and two handfuls of Epsom salt to get rid of Arthritis in the hands.
• Simply having Epsom salt bath or soaking your hands in warm water mixed with Epsom salt for about half an hour serves as a widely used Arthritis home remedy because it promotes circulation and reduces swelling.
• Having two tablespoons of castor oil mixed in a glass of orange juice before breakfast is a valuable natural remedy to cure Arthritis. Follow this home treatment regularly for at least three weeks. In addition, add ginger, garlic and turmeric in your foods as they have anti inflammatory properties.
• Drinking a glass of warm water mixed with one tablespoon each of organic apple cider vinegar and honey is a tried and tested natural cure for controlling Arthritis. Begin by taking this solution once daily and gradually increase up to three times in a day. When you are accustomed to the taste then reduce the quantity of honey from one tablespoon to one teaspoon.
• Meadowsweet, black cohosh, willow, devil’s claw and other such herbs are considered as therapeutic herbal home remedies for Arthritis in hands. You can take these herbs in the form of teas or supplements. It is recommended that you take proper advice from your doctor or a naturopath before going ahead with this natural treatment.
• Prepare alfalfa tea by boiling a cup of water mixed with one teaspoon of alfalfa seeds. Drink this alfalfa tea 3-4 times in a day for about two weeks to relieve Arthritis naturally.
• Natural cures for Arthritis in hands also involve the use of heat/cold therapy at least two times in a day. Heat therapy can be applied by using hot packs, moist heating pads or through warm baths. Cold therapy can be applied by using ice packs or simply placing frozen bags of vegetables on the aching area.
Basically, heat therapy heals Arthritis pain by dilating blood vessels and hence stimulating circulation. Cold therapy, on the other hand, reduces inflammation and makes the sore area numb thereby providing relief from pain. After heat or cold application, do not forget to move the affected joint gently to help reduce stiffness.
• Hand exercises that stretch the muscles are considered as effective natural home remedies for Arthritis in hands. For instance, start by keeping your hand upright while keeping the thumb and fingers pointed upwards. Next, touch your index finger to your thumb to form an “o” sign.
Follow the same procedure with the rest of the fingers one by one and hold the position for about 5-10 seconds. Perform this exercise at least two times in a day.
Another simple hand exercise for Arthritis; keep your fingers straight and spread apart. Then, make a gentle fist without squeezing the fingers too tightly. Slowly move to the starting position and repeat the procedure a few times.
Spreading the fingers wide apart and then relaxing and bringing them together is another simple exercise that can be followed when dealing with Arthritis in hands. Water aerobics and minor weight lifting of small weights also help ease the pain. Besides, increase the intake of vitamin C, calcium and zinc to prevent further troubles.