What is Bacterial Vaginitis?
Bacterial Vaginitis is a common vaginal infection occurring in women mostly in their reproductive years. The disease is characterized by abnormal vaginal discharge, at times, bearing an unpleasant odor too. The infection could also be present without the manifestation of any significant symptoms.
This disease is not very serious but it tends to increase the risk of developing serious conditions like Gonorrhea or Chlamydia. So, Bacterial Vaginitis should not be ignored, especially during pregnancy as it may cause complications in such a situation. Otherwise, it may lead to premature delivery or low birth weight of the newborn baby.
The conventional treatment for this disease calls for the use of antibiotics to in order to reduce the infection by reducing bacterial outgrowth. On the other hand, the home treatment for Bacterial Vaginitis consists of the adoption of natural home remedies for Bacterial Vaginitis. Needless to mention, the latter mode of treatment is safer than the former one. Plus, it can also be followed along with the conventional treatment.
Causes and Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginitis
Bacterial Vaginitis is caused by an overgrowth of some of the harmful bacteria normally present in the vaginal area. Basically, the bacterial growth is attributed to an increase in the alkalinity of the vaginal pH. The exact reason behind this unwanted bacterial growth or an imbalance between harmless and harmful bacteria is not clear.
Still, having a new sexual partner or multiple sexual partners tends to increase the risk of developing this condition. In fact, it increases the affected individual’s susceptibility to sexually transmitted diseases. Though, it has been found that this disease could also be caused in women who have never had sexual intercourse.
Besides, vaginal douching is also considered to increase the chances of developing this sort of vaginal infection. Cigarette smoking, too, is believed to disrupt the normal balance of healthy and harmful bacteria present in the body.
The most prominent symptoms of Bacterial Vaginitis are unusual vaginal discharge with a foul fishy odor. The abnormal discharge tends to be thinner and milky or grey in color. Rarely, the disease may also be accompanied by other uncomfortable symptoms like pain, itchiness, irritation and a burning sensation, especially during urination or intercourse. Vaginal discharge tends to become more unpleasant smelling after intercourse. More often than not, this condition is not characterized by any noticeable symptoms.
Natural Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginitis
• Plain yogurt is one of the safest and most effective natural home remedies for Bacterial Vaginitis. It can be consumed or it can be applied on the affected area with the help of a tampon. Make sure to wash and dry the vagina after the application of this natural remedy.
• Regular consumption of unsweetened cranberry juice is a valuable home remedy used to heal this condition naturally. Eating cranberry fruit also serves the same purpose. Care should be taken to take cranberry in moderation because excessive consumption of this fruit or its juice can be harmful for health.
• Garlic, with its natural antibiotic properties is one of the most successful natural home remedies for Bacterial Vaginitis. For this, wrap some peeled cloves of garlic in gauze and insert this gauze in the vagina to get rid of the infection. Repeat this therapy every three or four hours in a day.
• Having a decoction prepared by boiling margosa (neem) leaves in water helps in reducing and controlling Bacterial Vaginitis.
• Taking a mixture of turmeric powder and warm milk is considered as an effective natural cure for bacterial infections. Turmeric helps to fight infections internally.
• Add about two cups of apple cider vinegar in the bath water and soak in it to relieve this problem. Alternatively, a mixture of vinegar, salt and water can also be used for this purpose. A combination of cedar oil or tea tree oil, salt and water is also beneficial in this regard. These home remdies help to cure Bacterial Vaginosis by killing the bacteria causing this vaginal infection.
• Simply soaking in warm water is one of the simplest home remedies for Bacterial Vaginitis treatment.
• Herbs like echinacea, goldenseal and black walnut serve as good Bacterial Vaginitis natural remedies.
Diet for Bacterial Vaginitis
A diet rich in a variety of vitamins and minerals is highly beneficial in dealing with Bacterial Vaginitis. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin E are particularly useful in this regard. Moreover, vitamin B and vitamin B complex with folic acid provide sufficient aid to the immune system in combating bacterial outgrowths.
Vegetable juices like that of ginger, garlic, parsley etc are excellent natural home remedies for Bacterial Vaginits. As already mentioned, garlic and yogurt can be used internally or externally to heal this ailment.
Restrictive measures include avoidance of refined and fatty processed foods, meats, excess sugar, and caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. Besides, maintain proper hygiene and do not wear tightly fitted clothes in order to avoid Bacterial Vaginitis to a great extent.