What are Bee Stings?
Bee Stings, as the name suggests are stings from bees like honey bee, bumble bee, Africanized killer bee or other types of bees. The sting usually causes local reactions such as redness, pain, swelling etc. It may also trigger allergic reaction in individuals allergic to the venom of the sting.
Bee Stings leading to allergic reactions can prove to be quite dangerous and hence require immediate medical attention. In case of less serious non allergic localized reaction, Bee Stings can be cured with the help of a variety of conventional as well as natural home treatment.
Home remedies for Bee Stings natural treatment are highly beneficial in healing this problem effectively. The first and foremost Bee Stings home remedy in this regard is the removal of bee stingers from the body.
In fact, the stinger should be pulled out as soon as possible otherwise it keeps pumping the venom into the body up to twenty minutes and causes severe reactions. After scraping out the stinger, wash the affected area with soap and water.
Causes and Symptoms of Bee Stings
When a bee stings any individual, it injects its venom in the body through a stinger. In case of honey bees, the stinger tends to remain in the affected individual’s body. Stings of other types of bees are equally annoying as they can sting multiple times.
Honeybees are usually calm and do not attack unless disturbed. On the other hand, bumble bees, Africanized killer bees and various other types of bees and wasps can be extremely aggressive and attack multiple times. Bees tend to release a scent when they sting. This scent alerts other bees in the nearby area to come to their defense.
Symptoms of Bee Stings are pain, swelling, itching and redness on the site of the sting. The pain usually continues for a few hours and the area can swell even more over the next 2-3 days.
In case of allergy to the poisonous venom, severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) tend to develop within an hour. Such allergic reactions are characterized by the development of hives, itching all over the body, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, wheezing, breathing troubles and even shock.
Natural Home Remedies for Bee Stings
• Application of ice compresses or ice is one of the most popular and equally effective natural home remedies for Bee Stings swelling and pain.
• Applying a paste prepared from one teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of water is a tried and tested natural remedy for Bee Stings. This therapy helps to neutralize the acidity of the venom and hence cures Bee Sting naturally at home. Meat tenderizer can also be added in this mixture. Do not overdo this remdy.
• Rubbing plantain leaf on the affected area is also helps to reduce Bee Sting symptoms to a great extent. Crushed calendula flowers or parsley or basil leaves can also be used in the same way.
• Slices of unripe papaya, raw onion, garlic and tomatoes serve as efficient Bee Stings home remedies. Apply either of these on the affected area to heal the Bee Stings and related symptom.
• Applying a mixture of turmeric and olive oil is useful in dealing with Bee Stings in a natural way.
• Aloe vera gel and honey are also considered as good home remedies for Bee Stings as they tend to ease the symptoms effectively and hence provide relief. Apply either of these natural cures liberally on the site of sting. Essential oils like lavender oil and castor oil can also be used to ease the pain and swelling.
• Few drops of apple cider vinegar can also be applied on the affected area as an effective Bee Sting swelling natural remedy.
Diet for Bee Stings
Take a nutritious and well balanced diet to facilitate the body’s natural process of healing and recovering from Bee Sting related symptoms, especially swelling.
Hence, include different types of healthy fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds etc to strengthen the immune system. Grapefruit, lemon, guava, orange and other such citrus fruits rich in vitamin C are highly beneficial in the home treatment of Bee Stings.