What are Blackheads?
Blackheads or open comedones are yellow or black colored small bumps that are present on the pores of the skin. They tend to block the hair follicles with sebum and dead skin cells. Blackheads usually appear on the forehead, nose, neck, chest, back and other areas containing more oil glands. Blackhead is another type of Acne Vulgaris.
Basically, Blackheads are caused by overactive sebaceous glands or oil glands. Sebum is an oily substance naturally secreted by sebaceous glands present on the skin. When this sebum is produced in excess, it combines with dead skin cells and clogs the pores on the skin.
The top part of this hardened combination oxidizes in the presence of air and becomes black in color. These small black plugs are known as Blackheads. Treatment for Blackheads encompasses both conventional as well as natural remedies.
Out of these, the natural home remedies for Blackheads, being free from side effects are usually preferred over the chemical based over the counter conventional astringents and exfoliants. The holistic home remedies to remove Blackheads work effectively without causing any damage to the skin.
Causes and Symptoms of Blackheads
As already mentioned, Blackheads are caused due to over production of sebum. The excess production of sebum could be caused by a number of factors. For instance, a naturally oily or combination skin has a tendency to secrete more natural oils.
Other factors that stimulate the oil glands to produce excess oil are Stress, Menstruation, Puberty, Skin Allergy, intake of certain drugs (like steroids), disorders in the immune system and other related factors. Improper skin hygiene also plays an important role in the development of Blackheads.
The most obvious symptom of Blackheads is the development of small bumps or spots on the surface of the skin. They are usually yellowish or blackish in color.
Unlike Acne, Blackheads do not contain pus. Blackheads give rise to Acne when the blocked skin pores become infected with bacteria. Therefore, Blackheads should not be squeezed back in the skin pores as it increases the risk of developing bacterial infection.
Natural Home Remedies for Blackheads
• Applying a combination of one teaspoon of coriander juice and half a teaspoon of turmeric powder is one of the most successful natural home remedies for Blackheads and Pimples on face.
Regularly apply this mixture on the face and other affected areas and wash it off in the morning to cure Blackheads naturally. Similarly, face pack prepared from red sandalwood or fuller’s earth can be used in the same way.
• The application of a mixture of one teaspoon lime juice and one teaspoon cinnamon powder is also beneficial in the natural treatment of Blackheads. Turmeric powder can also be added in this mixture. For best result, follow this Blackhead natural remedy for about 15 days.
• Prepare a paste by adding some rose water in oatmeal or almond powder. Rub this therapeutic paste on the affected areas and leave it for about 15 minutes. Finally wash it off. This is one of the most effective natural home remedies to get rid of Blackheads.
• Applying a paste prepared from powdered radish seeds and a little bit of water helps in removing Blackheads naturally.
• Applying a mixture of lemon juice and two tablespoons of honey is one of the most popular home remedies for Blackheads on skin.
• Simply applying warm honey for about 15 minutes is also one of the most highly beneficial Blackhead removal home remedies. It can also be used as a homemade scrub when used in combination with sugar.
• Take some drumstick pods and leaves and grind them. Then, add some lime juice in the drumstick powder and apply this mixture on the affected areas as a natural cure for Blackheads.
• Lime juice can also be used in combination with groundnut oil as a good Acne and Blackhead home remedy.
• Daily apply a fresh mashed tomato on the affected areas in order to heal this problem. This is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Blackheads on nose and face.
• Tea tree oil and witch hazel are also excellent natural home remedies for Blackheads removal.
• Applying grape pulp on the face for about 15 minutes to half an hour is another tried and tested home remedy to remove Acne and Blackheads from nose and face.
• Boil about three to four cups of water and add two teaspoons of soda bicarbonate in it. Then, take a towel steamed in this mixture and place it on the face. Follow this remdial procedure for about 5-6 times.
Next, apply a mixture of one teaspoon rice flour and one teaspoon curd. Finally, after some time, wash it off with cold water. This home treatment is highly beneficial in removing Blackheads from face.
• Mash some fresh fenugreek leaves to form a paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas before going to bed and then rinse with warm water. Follow this natural remedy to get rid of Acne and Blackheads at home.
• Green tea face scrub serves as an effective Blackhead remover.
Diet for Blackheads
A balanced and nutritious diet with less refined carbohydrates and fats is highly beneficial in dealing with Blackheads. Therefore, the diet should consist of fresh and natural fruits, vegetables and whole grains that are rich in essential vitamins and minerals.
Processed and oily foods prepared from refined white flour should be avoided as far as possible. Drink plenty of water as it helps flush out toxins from the body.