What are Canker Sores?
Canker sores are small painful sores or ulcers that develop inside the mouth, particularly on the tongue or the inside of cheeks and lips. They cause a great deal of discomfort in normal activities like eating and talking. People often confuse between Canker Sores and Cold Sores. The distinguishing factor between the two is that Canker sores occur inside the mouth whereas Cols sores occur outside the mouth like under the nose or chin. Unlike Cold sores, Canker soles are not contagious. Canker sores are often associated with herpes infection, but it is not true. It has been found that women are more likely to develop Canker sores as compared to their male counterparts. Though they tend to heal by themselves, still the natural home remedies for Canker sores consist of some excellent measures to provide relief and facilitate the healing process.
Causes and Symptoms of Canker sores
It is usually seen that any mouth injury such as vigorous brushing of teeth or accidentally biting the tongue or cheeks results in the formation of Canker sores. Besides, viral infections tend to trigger the development of such sores. Nutritional deficiencies like that of iron, zinc, or vitamin B12 also lead to the same result. Citrus fruits can trigger or aggravate the Canker sores. Other factors include emotional stress, anxiety, food allergies, menstrual periods, hormonal changes, low immunity etc. Certain anti inflammatory non steroidal and chemotherapy drugs are known to cause Canker sores. Autoimmune disorders, HIV infection or a family history of developing this medical condition could also be held responsible for causing Canker sores.
On the onset of a Canker sore, the sufferer tends to have a burning sensation in the mouth. This is followed by the development of a painful sore which is characterized by a white or yellow patch outlined by red skin. In rare cases, Canker sores may be accompanied by fevers and swollen lymph nodes. They tend to heal within a couple of weeks. But, even after being healed, Canker sores tend to recur.
Natural Home Remedies for Canker Sores
• Applying raw onions on the affected area is one of the simplest home remedies for Canker sores.
• Applying powdered Goldenseal also acts as an effective natural cure. A Goldenseal mouthwash can also be prepared by mixing half a teaspoon of Goldenseal powder and a quarter teaspoon of salt in one cup of lukewarm water. This mouthwash serves as an excellent natural home remedy in curing this disease.
• Boil one teaspoon of coriander leaves in a cup of water and strain it. Gargle with this solution for 3-4 times a day serves as a good solution in dealing with the problem of Canker sores.
• Prepare a mixture by adding one teaspoon of honey to a quarter teaspoon of turmeric. This is one of the most popular home remedies for Canker sores treatment. It helps in reducing the pain as well.
• Drinking cranberry juice is one of the most effective home remedies for Canker sores.
• Applying wet tea bags on the affected area eases the pain and cures the sores.
• Eating fresh papaya or chew its leaves is a tried and tested natural remedy used in the treatment of Canker sores.
• Applying tea tree oil on the affected area and rinsing with a salt solution is considered a good remdy in curing this ailment.
• Rinse the mouth with fresh plum juice to ease the pain and heal the problem.
• Applying ice on the Canker sore is the easiest possible remedy to provide relief.
• Extract the juice of grapefruit and add about 5-6 drops of this grapefruit extract in a cup of water. Use this as a mouthwash to get rid of the problem. As the juice is strong, it would be sufficient to use this natural mouthwash only once a day.
• Cayenne pepper and sage with their therapeutic properties make for excellent natural home remedies for Canker sores.
• Gargling with coconut milk for about 3-4 times a day on a daily basis is a highly beneficial home treatment for Canker sores.
• Applying aloe juice on the Canker sores is an extremely valuable natural home remedy for healing Canker sores.
Diet for Canker sores
Experts recommend a daily dosage of yogurt in the diet to prevent Canker sores. The Lactobacillus bacteria present in it are useful in guarding against the possibility of developing Canker sores. Including whole grains and green leafy vegetables in the diet is beneficial in healing Canker sores. They are rich sources of vitamin B which is highly recommended in the treatment of Canker sores. Abstain from smoking and alcoholism as they are prone to aggravate the problem. Same is the case with hot and spicy foods. Dairy products are also known to worsen Canker sores. In some cases, chocolates, tomatoes, nut and shellfish tend to cause allergies leading to the development of Canker sores.