What is Celiac Disease?
Celiac Disease is a chronic disease or disorder of the digestive system. It adversely affects the small intestine and renders it incapable to allow proper absorption of dietary nutrients such as fats, carbohydrates and proteins. This reduced nutrition absorption leads to further problems and ailments. In children, it results in stunted growth. Gluten acts as a triggering agent for this disease. It is a type of protein present in barley, rye, wheat and in hybrids like triticale and kamut. Bread, cookies, pasta and other similar items contain gluten. It is should be borne in mind that Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease and not a simple food allergy. It can not be cured completely, still a number of natural home remedies for Celiac Disease have been found effective in controlling and reducing it to some extent.
Causes and Symptoms of Celiac Disease
Celiac Disease can be triggered by a variety of reasons like viral infection, pregnancy, severe emotional stress, physical injury or after a surgery. The exact cause of the disease is not known till date but it has been found that Celiac Disease can be caused due to a genetic predisposition. It can be associated with Dermatitis, Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases, Autoimmune Liver Diseases, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Addison’s disease, Type-1 Diabetes and other such diseases.
Celiac Disease can be characterized by a variety of symptoms which can be mild or severe depending on the patient. In some cases, the patient may not come across any symptoms at all. But when the symptoms do manifest themselves, they are likely to do so in the form of gastrointestinal symptoms or symptoms of malnutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Gastrointestinal symptoms include symptoms like diarrhea, bloating, flatulence, and steatorrhea. In patients with prior lactose intolerance, these symptoms may worsen and induce abdominal pains. Malnutrition encourages symptoms like anemia weight loss, nerve damage fluid retention, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, bruising, and infertility. Other symptoms include depression, irritability, fatigue, mouth sores and skin rashes.
Natural Home Remedies for Celiac Disease
• Goldenseal and olive leaf extract are efficient natural home remedies for Celiac Disease. These herbs help improve the immune system. But, goldenseal should not be consumed for more than a week in continuation and the patients of Diabetes, Glaucoma, heart diseases and pregnant women should not take this herb before consulting with their doctors.
• Yogurt is a highly beneficial home remedy for the disease as it facilitates the healing process of the digestive system.
• Marshmallow, slippery elm, and chamomile serve as effective home remedies for Celiac Disease.
• Pickled ginger has therapeutic properties for the treatment of the inflammations of the intestine caused by this disease.
• Adding paprika spice in the meals is one of the simplest home remedies for Celiac Disease.
• Fish oils are beneficial in curing the inflammation of the intestinal lining.
• Drinking horsetail tea three times a day is a tried and tested natural home remedy useful in the treatment of this disease as it helps to reduce the inflammation and provides strength to the connective tissues participating in the curing process.
Diet for Celiac Disease
The diet for Celiac Disease should include fresh vegetables, figs, sunflower seeds, nuts, raisins and legumes like beans, lentils and peas. Fruits like blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and other seedy fruits are highly beneficial in the treatment of this disease. In this regard, blackstrap molasses also acts as a valuable remdy as it is rich in iron and vitamin B. It is but obvious that eliminating gluten containing foods from the diet is a sure-shot natural remedy to prevent further complications. It aids in the healing process. So, in place of having barley, wheat, oat, rye and other gluten containing foods, the patient can have potatoes, soy flour, cornmeal, buckwheat and rice.
Teas prepared from herbs like saffron, dandelion and yellow dock make for excellent home remedies fro Celiac Disease by nourishing and purifying the blood. The patient should abstain from the consumption of grain based alcohol such as beer and whisky. As the Celiac Disease results in mal absorption of the vitamins and minerals, taking nutritious diet rich in vitamin A, vitamin B and B complex, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and minerals like zinc and silica is highly recommended.