What is Chest Congestion?
Simply put, chest congestion is a feeling of congestion or tightness in the chest usually due to accumulation of fluid and mucus in the lower respiratory tract. In certain cases, symptoms of Chest Congestion could also be caused by heart ailments.
At times, certain allergic reactions or respiratory tract infections cause inflammation which in turn causes mucous accumulation thereby giving rise to Chest Congestion. The most common symptom of this condition is breathing difficulty. In severe cases, the condition may also be characterized by an audible crackling in the chest.
Chest Congestion is one of the most frustrating and troublesome diseases that require prompt attention. The condition can be treated with the help of several therapeutic home remedies for Chest Congestion natural treatment.
Causes and Symptoms of Chest Congestion
Diseases like Pneumonia, Cold, Bronchitis, Emphysema, Asthma and air-borne Allergies causing post nasal drip causing the mucus in sinuses to slide down into the lungs thereby leading to congestion in the chest.
Certain other conditions such as Gastroesophageal Reflux, Croup, Lung Cancer, Pulmonary Edema, Cystic Fibrosis, Lung Cancer, Heart Problems and other such conditions may also contribute in causing the same.
Chest Congestion is mostly characterized by symptoms related to a feeling of tightness in the chest and breathing difficulties. The condition is often accompanied by pain and wheezing. The affected individual tends to cough a lot to expel mucus from the lungs.
The mucus tends to be yellowish or greenish in color in case the congestion is caused by infection. Symptoms like fever, difficulty swallowing and swollen tongue may also be present.
Natural Home Remedies for Chest Congestion
• Steam treatment is one of the most popular home remedies for Chest Congestion relief. For this remdy, boil some water and add a few drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, clary sage, thyme, rosemary or any other essential oil in it.
Next, inhale the steam or vapors of this water through the nostrils and cover the head and the water bowl with a towel so that the steam does not escape. Continue this home remedy for a few seconds or minute to reduce Chest Congestion quickly.
• Chewing two or three black pepper seeds is another effective natural cure for Chest Congestion cough.
• A combination of black pepper seeds, cumin seeds and salt helps cure Bronchitis Chest Congestion. Simply taking black pepper seeds in a glass of warm milk is also useful in healing the condition naturally at home.
• Herbal teas serve as excellent Chest Congestion home remedies. In this regard, ginger and chamomile teas, in particular are highly beneficial in the home treatment of Chest Congestion and Cough.
• Gargling with saline solution is one of the simplest natural remedies for Chest Congestion in children as well as adults.
• Massaging the chest with essential oils helps to relieve this problem and getting rid of the congestion.
• Alternative therapies like aromatherapy and yoga have found to be valuable Chest Congestion natural cures.
Diet for Chest Congestion
Increasing the intake of warm fluids in the diet is considered as one of the simplest and equally effective natural home remedies for Chest Congestion. Simply taking warm water mixed with lemon juice and honey is also beneficial in this regard. Also consume warm milk mixed with some turmeric powder.
Moreover, include more spicy foods in the diet. Spicy foods like jalapenos, chilies and peppers act as natural decongestants thereby clearing Chest Congestions naturally. Ginger, garlic, clove and onion are also beneficial in this regard.
Besides, a diet consisting of judicious amounts of foods rich in vitamin C and vitamin E helps in strengthening the immune system thereby aiding in faster recovery.
Therefore, fruits and vegetables rich in essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants should be positively included in the diet when dealing with Chest Congestion. Spinach, broccoli, kiwi, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit etc are highly beneficial in this regard.