What is a Common Cold?
Common Cold is a common infection of the upper respiratory tract (involving the nose, sinuses, ears and bronchial tubes) caused by viruses. It is a contagious in nature. Contrary to the popular belief, Common Cold is generally not caused due to exposure to cold weather.
It is actually caused when the people spend more time indoors to avoid the cold weather outside. The viruses that cause Common Cold actually spread more in the indoor environment when the people sit close together.
People tend to confuse between Common Cold and Influenza because both the diseases are accompanied by similar symptoms. But it should be noted that Influenza has more severe symptoms as compared to that of Common cold. There is no sure-shot cure for Common cold and the conventional Common Cold medicines often worsen the situation worse by drying the cough.
In fact, the sufferer should never take antibiotic medicines to cure this ailment as they do not kill viruses. They are meant to treat serious bacterial infections. In such cases, the natural home remedies for Common Cold prove beneficial in its treatment.
Causes and Symptoms of Common Cold
As mentioned above, Common Colds are caused by a number of viruses, to be specific, more than 200 types of viruses. Some of these viruses are Rhinoviruses, Respiratory Syncytial virus and Parainfluenza. As this disease is contagious, it can spread from an infected person to an uninfected person. Environmental irritants and allergies affecting the nose or the throat may contribute in causing this common ailment.
Studies have revealed that Common Cold may also be caused by psychological stress. Immunity plays an important role preventing this infection as far as possible. Lack of sleep and a deficiency of vitamin D are also known to increase the risk of developing this disease.
The initial symptoms of Common Cold are scratchy throat, sneezing and running nose. Other symptoms include nasal drainage, nasal congestion, cough, hoarseness in voice, headache, slight fever etc. It has been observed that mild Colds often last for 2-3 days. Severe Colds may take up to two weeks to heal.
Natural Home Remedies for Common Cold
• Mix garlic oil and onion juice and add some water to this mixture to dilute it. Drinking this mixture is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Common Cold.
• Take some curd and add black pepper powder and some jaggery in it. Taking this mixture two times per day on a regular basis serves as an effective natural cure for Common Cold.
• Drinking ginger tea is one of the easiest possible natural home remedies for Common Cold.
• Extract the juice of Indian gooseberry. Take one tablespoon of this juice and add half a teaspoon of ginger in it. Taking this mixture is a tried and tested natural home remedy for Common Cold treatment.
• Take equal amounts of ginger powder, cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper. Mix these ingredients and consume this mixture regularly to provide relief from Common Cold symptoms.
• Prepare a mixture by adding one part of rock salt to four parts of unrefined sugar. Taking one teaspoon of this mixture in warm milk or water before bedtime is a valuable natural remedy to cure Common Cold.
• Make a paste of about 200 grams of coriander seeds and some jaggery. Add this paste in boiling water and inhale its vapors to reduce Common Cold related nasal and chest congestions.
• Make a somewhat dilute paste of asafetida in water and sniff this mixture several times a day to provide relief from the congestion.
• Prepare a powdered mixture of Basil seeds and a proportionate amount of ginger. Taking about 5 g of this mixture two times a day is one of the most successful home remedies for Common Cold.
• Prepare a decoction of 100 grams ladies finger (cut into small pieces) in one liter water. Boil the mixture. Inhaling the therapeutic vapors of this mixture is a popular home remedy for Common Cold Cure.
• Make a paste of the roots of the bitter gourd plant. Take one teaspoon of this paste and add one teaspoon of holy basil juice or honey in it. Taking this mixture during night regularly for at least one month is a good home remdy for Common Cold treatment.
• Simply chewing the leaves of betel nut tree can help cure Common Cold.
• Squeeze a lime in a glass of warm water and add one teaspoon of honey in it. Drinking this solution once or twice a day regularly can heal the ailment of Common Cold naturally.
• Add some salt in warm water and gargle with this solution. This is one of the most widely used home remedies for Common Cold.
Diet for Common Cold
The diet to prevent and cure Common Cold should include a variety of hot liquids such as vegetable soups and herbal teas. They have a soothing effect on the throat. Ginger, garlic, honey, lime, onion and holy basil are some of the traditional remedies that are useful in dealing with Common Cold Symptoms.
A diet rich in vitamin C and zinc is highly beneficial in improving the immunity and fighting infections thereby assisting in the process of healing. Restrict the consumption of eggs, meat, fish, cheese and other starchy foods as they tend to aggravate the symptoms. Taking rest and fresh air can help a lot while dealing with Common Cold.
Leave a Reply