What are Common Digestive Disorders?
Common Digestive Disorders include a number of digestive problems like Indigestion, Constipation, Diarrhea, Gastritis, Hemorrhoids, Celiac Disease, Crohn’s Disease, Peptic Ulcers, Ulcerative colitis, Appendicitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Lactose Intolerance and a host of other diseases.
These disorders can cause serious or minor abdominal discomfort depending on the type of disease and the underlying cause. The delicate digestive system responds to unfavorable digestive conditions by causing symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, nausea and other major or minor symptoms to indicate the presence of an underlying problem.
A variety of natural home remedies for Common Digestive Disorders have been found to be of great help in dealing with these problems. At times, certain digestive diseases caused by structural abnormalities may require surgical procedures too.
Causes of Common Digestive Disorders
Most of the Common Digestive Disorders are caused by faulty diets, food allergies and infections. More often than not, infections result in irritation and inflammation which in turn cause digestive disorders depending on the site of inflammation in the digestive tract. Gastritis, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Chronic Pancreatitis, and Diverticulitis are some such diseases and disorders that cause inflammation.
Poor eating habits and certain nerve disorders have also been associated with the incidence of Common Digestive Disorders caused by malfunctioning of the esophagus. Hiatal hernia resulting in malfunctioning of the esophageal sphincter causes GERD which is one of the most common digestive disorders.
Intake of certain medicines, especially non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs, has been known to trigger a number of digestive disorders. Weak immune system that cannot fight against infections increases the risk of developing such problems.
Lactose intolerance is a condition in which the affected individual lacks the enzyme that digests lactose present in milk and milk products. On the other hand, Hepatitis is caused any of the six types of hepatitis viruses.
Lack of sufficient amount of fiber and fluids in the diet may also trigger some Common Digestive Disorders. Therefore, including adequate amount of fiber and liquids, especially water in the diet is one of the most important home remedies for Common Digestive Disorders.
Intake of spicy, fatty foods and caffeinated and alcoholic beverages also affects the digestive health adversely. Psychological conditions such as excessive stress and anxiety have also been associated with an increased risk of having digestive problems. Cigarette smoking is often correlated with an increase in the incidence of heartburn.
Symptoms of Common Digestive Disorders
GERD or heartburn causes symptoms like burning sensation in the chest area and bitter or sour taste in the mouth. Disorders causing problems in the normal functioning of the esophagus are accompanied by symptoms like heartburn, difficulty swallowing, drooling, bad breath, choking and other related symptoms.
Inflammatory diseases or disorders generally cause abdominal pain, cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea/constipation and more serious symptoms of fever and intestinal bleeding. Most of the Common Digestive Disorders lead to symptoms of abdominal tenderness, bloating, gas, change in appetite, weight gain or loss, changes in the bowel movement etc.
Natural Home Remedies for Common Digestive Disorders
• A mixture prepared by grinding cloves, ginger, cardamom seeds and coriander is one of the most successful home remedies for Common Digestive Disorders by aiding in the process of digestion.
• A combination of mint, ginger juice and honey is one of the best home remedies for Common Digestive Disorders causing diarrhea.
• Foods like almonds, cloves and lemons are highly beneficial natural remedies used in the treatment of Common Digestive Diseases causing heartburn.
• A combination of pomegranate juice and honey helps to cure dyspepsia.
• Regular consumption of raw spinach juice diluted with water is a valuable home remdy for digestive problems related to constipation.
• Extract some juice from drumstick leaves and mix some a teaspoon of honey in a teaspoon of this juice. Add this mixture in a glass of coconut water and drink the resultant soluti0on to eliminate the problem of diarrhea. Barley water and arrowroot water are also useful in the home treatment of Common Digestive Disorders of this nature. Coconut water is helpful in the natural treatment of Gastritis.
• After meals, chewing a few slices of ginger soaked in lime juice is a tried and tested remedy to get rid of Common Digestive Disorders in the form of gas or flatulence. Peppermint is also beneficial in this regard.
• Soak some dried figs in water overnight and have them along with the residual water in the morning to cure digestive problems related to Hemorrhoids.
• Herbs like agrimony, bay berry and meadowsweet are excellent natural home remedies for Common Digestive Disorders by acting as natural astringents.
Diet for Common Digestive Disorders
Basically, a healthy diet with special emphasis on high fiber foods is useful in dealing with Common Digestive Disorders. A number of fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts are highly beneficial in this regard. Therefore, foods like barley and rice should be positively included in the diet as they get digested easily and do not cause acidity.
Consumption of buttermilk and yogurt is conducive to the overall digestive health. In addition, drinking a cup of ginger tea after meals is an excellent home remedy for Common Digestive Disorders like indigestion, heartburn, nausea etc. Regular intake of water, fruit juices and vegetable juices is highly recommended in order to maintain a healthy and balanced diet to control digestive diseases and disorders.
Ripe papaya and cabbage juice are beneficial in the treatment of Common Digestive Disorders causing constipation. Diarrhea, on the other hand can be cured by having foods like garlic, banana and lentils. Grapes are highly beneficial in curing Dyspepsia.
Moreover, consumption of carrot juice helps to heal Common Digestive Diseases like Peptic Ulcers. Besides, sugar only provides empty calories to the body and hence it is best avoided. Plus, restrict the consumption of oily and fatty foods rich in carbohydrates.