What is Constipation?
Constipation is a common gastrointestinal condition. At times, the colon (a part of the large intestine) absorbs more water from the food that moves slowly through the gastrointestinal tract. This leads to Constipation characterized by dry and hard stool. When the frequency of bowel movements becomes less than three times per week, this condition is referred to as Constipation.
Generally, the frequency of bowel movements varies with individuals. It can be three times a day or three times a week but it should not be less than three times a week. More often than not, it is a temporary problem which can be solved by having a proper diet and following a number of the natural home remedies for Constipation.
Causes and Symptoms of Constipation
There are a host of factors that lead to Constipation. The main causes are inadequate fiber intake, inadequate water intake, stress, excessive consumption of dairy products, eating disorders, inadequate physical activity and certain medicines (for example, iron pills, narcotics, pain killers, antidepressants, antacid medicines, laxatives etc).
Apart from these, certain medical conditions such as Hypothyroidism, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Neurological conditions (like Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Scelosis, Spinal Cord injuries etc) and Colon Cancer may also lead to Constipation. Pregnancy may also cause Constipation. Diabetes, Colitis, Scleroderma and other colon affecting diseases are known to cause this problem.
The most obvious symptom of Constipation is infrequent bowel movement or hard and dry stool. In case the problem is accompanied by symptoms like vomiting, rectal bleeding, weight loss, abdominal or cramps then the problem should not be ignored and the patient should seek immediate medical assistance.
Natural Home Remedies for Constipation
• Taking dates along with milk is one of the best natural home remedies for Constipation.
• Drinking a mixture of half a cup of orange juice and the same amount of olive oil is an excellent natural home remedy used in the treatment of this problem.
Drinking a mixture of carrot juice and spinach juice is one of the most popular home remedies for Constipation. This remedy would work best when equal amounts of both the juices are taken and a glass of this juice is consumed just before bedtime.
• Taking plantains half an hour after each meal is one of the most successful home remedies for Constipation.
• Taking ginger tea is an excellent natural home remdy to reduce the incidence of Constipation.
• Taking a teaspoon of linseed with some water, right before a meal, acts as an effective natural cure for this problem.
• Take a glass of water and mix some lemon juice and a pinch of salt in it. Drinking this mixture serves as a valuable home remedy to cure Constipation.
• Ground a dry ginger to make a fine powder and add an equal amount of powdered senna leaves to it. Drinking a cup of lukewarm water mixed with these powders before going t bed is helpful in healing this ailment.
• Taking about a couple of teaspoons of almond oil with milk during the night is a therapeutic natural remedy in this regard. This remedy is sure to give encouraging results if followed till three or four days in continuation.
• Regularly drinking at night, a glass of warm water mixed with some fennel seeds is helpful in eliminating this problem by improving digestion.
• Drinking half a cup of cabbage juice on a regular basis is a successful home treatment for this Constipation.
• Soaking dry figs in the water overnight and having it in the morning is a highly beneficial natural remedy to prevent as well as cure this problem.
• Take some milk and add 10-12 dry grapes (without seeds) in it. Boil this milk and drink the milk and chew the grapes separately. Following this procedure at night before going to bed helps in the treatment of Constipation as naturally as possible.
Diet for Constipation
The most common cause of Constipation is a diet with less amount of fiber. Therefore, the diet to control this problem should definitely include a variety of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. They are the best natural sources of dietary fiber. Besides, adding coriander, cumin powder, asafetida and turmeric powder to the food while cooking it makes the food easily digestible. Safflower, soybean and other vegetable oils help lubricate the intestines thereby reducing the probability of having Constipation.
Regularly eating guava (along with seeds) is one of the most widely used natural home remedies for Constipation. Eating guavas on an empty stomach provides immediate relief. Apples and mangoes, too, are excellent for digestion.
Similarly, drinking the juice of two oranges daily in the morning helps in preventing as well as curing the problem of Constipation. In the same way, drinking raw juice of spinach helps to get rid of this problem. Including bael juice (mixed with water and some sugar), in the diet for about 2-3 months helps to relieve Constipation.
Apart from this, it is important to drink plenty of water to aid in the process of digestion. Plus, try to chew the food as thoroughly as possible. It would be better to avoid eating rice until the problem of Constipation goes away as rice is difficult to rice. Prefer foods prepared from whole grains instead of those prepared from white flour. In addition to these dietary measures, regular physical activity or exercise is also essential for the proper functioning of the digestive system.
I wanna know whether constipation is a major cause for pimples….pls explain me about it….because i have constipation problem and the digestion is not easy right from my childhood i.e from 4th class…and now pimples developed in me for the past 4 years….so am taking homeopatic medicine for the past 2 years for constipation and sinus….and whenever there is break in medicine pimples erupts and when medicine goes on it leaves slowly and comes again because of my touching and pricking pimples….then the process goes on…