What are Dark Underarms?
Dark Underarms is quite a common problem. In this condition, the skin under the arms becomes darker than the rest of the skin. The problem tends to bother more women than men as it becomes more of a beauty concern. Dark Underarms are more easily noticeable in fair skin as compared to dark skin.
Use of chemical deodorants and anti perspirants, shaving the underarms and excessive sweating are some of the most common reasons that lead to darkening of the underarms. Maintaining proper hygiene and the application of a number of natural home remedies for Dark Underarms have been found to reduce this embarrassing problem to a great extent.
Most of these herbal remedies work slowly but steadily and work best if they are followed on a regular basis. Also, some individuals tend to have a sensitive skin. In such cases, the affected individual should conduct a patch test before going ahead with some of these remedies.
Causes and Symptoms of Dark Underarms
Apart from chemicals and shaving, Dark Underarms may also be caused by friction due to excessive sweating and wearing tight clothes. The tight clothes rub against sweaty skin and cause friction which in turn results in darkening of the skin. A lack of hygiene paves way for infections that cause itching and scratching. Repeated itching and scratching tends to make the skin rough, scaly and dark.
Apart from these factors, pollution, a build-up of dead skin cells and hyper pigmentation may also cause Dark Underarms. At times, type-2 Diabetes causes darkening of skin under the arms or neck area. A genetic predisposition may also lead to the same result.
Androgen based contraceptives have also been held responsible for making the skin more sensitive and prone to such problems. Dark underarms are characterized by darkness of skin under the arms and the condition is often accompanied by itching and bad odor due to excessive sweating.
Natural Home Remedies for Dark Underarms
• In mild cases, simply rubbing lemon slices on the affected area works as a good natural bleach and helps to lighten Dark Underarms.
• Prepare a mixture by adding one teaspoon of lime juice, one teaspoon of cucumber juice and about a pinch of turmeric powder. Applying this mixture on the dark skin daily for about 20 minutes is one of the most popularly used natural home remedies for Dark Underarms.
• Prepare a paste by adding one teaspoon of sandalwood powder, one teaspoon of gram flour, one teaspoon of lime juice, the same amount of milk and finally, a pinch of turmeric powder. Regularly applying this paste for about twenty minutes is regarded as a therapeutic home remedy for the treatment of Dark Armpits.
• Another simple natural remedy with gram flour is to apply a paste prepared from one tablespoon of this flour, one teaspoon of curd and one teaspoon of milk. Daily application of this remdy acts as an effective treatment for Dark Underarms.
• Applying some juice extracted from potatoes is one of the most highly beneficial natural home remedies for Dark Underarms. Potato juice serves as a good bleaching agent to heal this problem.
• If the problem is being caused by the use of chemical deodorants then it would be better to replace deodorant with alum powder. In the same way, anti perspirants can be replaced by anti fungal powder.
• Take some dried and powdered orange peels and mix milk and rose water in it just enough to make a pasty mixture. Use this mixture as a natural scrub to reduce Dark Underarms.
• Coconut oil is also considered useful in getting rid of Dark Underarms. Application of Vitamin E oils is also known to cure Dark Armpits.
• Mix some sandalwood powder and rose water to make a paste and apply this paste on the affected area. Leave it on the skin till it dries and then wash it off. If followed on a regular basis, this serves as one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Dark Underarms.
• Mash a moderately ripe papaya and apply it on the underarms for 20-30 minutes as an effective Dark Underarm treatment.
• Applying some baking soda under the arms after having a bath is a common cure for Dark Underarms. Baking soda is a good drying agent that helps to absorb excessive sweat from the skin.
Diet for Dark Underarms
At times, overweight people tend to develop Dark Underarms because of their flabby arms. Therefore, it is advisable to reduce excess weight to avoid Dark Underarms, not to mention a variety of other more serious diseases.
Plus, keep the body well hydrated to maintain a healthy skin. Dry skin often leads to further complications thereby increasing the chances of developing this problem. Otherwise, there is no particular diet to eliminate this problem completely.
S. turner MD JD says
Dark underarms are very noticeable in people of color unless you are very very dark-ebony colored as are some people from certain countries such as the Sudan, Ghana, and Zimbabwe. Otherwise, in most African-Americans, Latinos, Asians, et al this problem is very noticeable. Oddly enough, I have not noticed this problem in lighter-skinned individuals, but apparently I failed to see it as you failed to see it: a mutual oversight on both our parts. It is a very common complaint among darker-skinned women and men. Home remedies, accurate reasons and myths as to its cause abound.
Thanks, I think this article is very useful. I’m going to apply few of the tips from today.