Nearly 2 million people in the US are affected by blood clots every year so this disease also called as Deep Vein Thrombosis (in medical terms) is deeply embedded in the public’s consciousness now, following several newspaper reports.
It mainly affects people who are more than 40 years of age. DVT is better understood as blood clot in the veins. Blood flow is a continuous and a natural process of our body.
Pure blood flows through the arteries and the impure blood which is to be cleaned and re-oxygenated flows through the veins.
Basically, there are two types of veins in our body:
Superficial veins-lie just below the skin and can be seen on the surface
Deep Veins– located deep within the leg muscles.
What is Deep Vein Thrombosis?
The formation of a blood clot in the deep veins is called Deep Vein Thrombosis. In most of the cases clots are formed in the deep veins of legs or thighs, pelvis.
The formation of clots in the leg or thigh is itself not so serious, but it becomes a life threatening situation when the clots get broken and start travelling towards heart, lungs, brain. You need not panic yet; there are a number of natural and effective home remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis.
This situation, when the clot breaks and starts travelling is known as pulmonary embolism.Clots in superficial veins don’t pose to be a threat as the perforator vein acts as a sieve and does not allows the clot to enter the deep venous system.
Causes Of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
The clot formed in DVT can block the flow of blood and results in swelling and pain. Amazingly, DVT can also occur in fit and healthy people who have no previous cardiovascular problems.
People doing work outs regularly are somehow having a greater risk of DVT complications as they have low resting pulse, that can help prompt DVT during the long periods of inactivity. Nonetheless, there can be certain reasons too, most likely to develop DVT:
- • After a pacemaker catheter has been passed through the vein in the groin
- • Bed rest
- • Cigarette smoking
- • Family history of blood clots
- • Fractures in the pelvis or legs
- • Giving birth within the last 6 months
- • Heart failure
- • Obesity
- • Recent surgery (especially hip, knee, or female pelvic surgery)
- • Too many blood cells being made by the bone marrow (polycythemia vera), causing the blood to be thicker and slower than normal
- • Blood that is more likely to clot (hyper coagulability)
- • Cancer
- • Taking estrogens or birth control pills
- • Pregnancy
One more reason which is most likely, when one or more of the above listed risk factors are also present- sitting for long periods when traveling (long duration flights, rail, and road journeys).
This is a video showing how a DVT is caused.
Signs and Symptoms of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
Some of the symptoms which are observed in the patient are summed up below-
- • Excessive pain at the site of clot formation
- • Swelling and tenderness may appear
- • Blue colored bulge
- • Ulcers
- • Difficulty in breathing, discomfort in chest is experienced in case of Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
- • Changes in skin color (redness) in one leg
- • Increased warmth in one leg
- • Sometimes Palpitations also occurs
- • The vein often gets as a firm, thickened cord
- • Inflammation may occur during the course of the vein but no infection is there
Tests for diagnosing DVT
- • D-dimer blood test
- • Doppler ultrasound exam of the legs
- • Plethysmography (measurement of blood flow) of the legs
- • X-rays to show veins in the affected area(venography)
- • Activated protein C resistance (checks for the Factor V Leiden mutation)
- • Anti thrombin III levels
- • Anti phosphor lipid antibodies
- • Genetic testing to look for mutations that make you more likely to develop blood clots, such as the pro thrombin G20210A mutation
- • Lupus anticoagulant
- • Protein C and protein S levels
- • Screening for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
The above list of tests is not all inclusive.
Natural Home Remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
There are no specific Deep Vein Thrombosis home remedies for the removal of blood clot, but DVT should not be overlooked merely as a blood clot as in worst cases of PE (Pulmonary Embolism) the situation becomes life threatening.
For the first 15 – 20 days you have to depend upon the treatment given by doctors.
- • Usually the first drug given to the patient is HEPARIN.
- • If heparin is given through a vein (IV), you must stay in the hospital.
- • Newer forms of heparin can be given by injection once or twice a day. You may not need to stay in the hospital as long, or at all, if you are prescribed this newer form of heparin.
- • Another drug called Warfarin (Coumadin) or any anti coagulant (as suggested by the physician) is also started along with heparin. These anticoagulants keep more clots from forming or old ones from getting bigger. Generally, these drugs do not dissolve clots.
- • Most likely warfarin is administered for minimum 3 months but in some cases people have to take it for the rest of their lives.
Although no natural remedies are there which can cure DVT, but some can help in the process of blood thinning and prevention of the disease. Here our primary goal is to prevent the disease from re occurring.
Some of the home remedies for DVT prevention from re occurrence are:
- • Regular intake of a glass of water with 1 tbsp lemon juice and chopped slices of ginger is the easiest solution for blood clot problem. Lemon and ginger is blood circulation improver.
- • Have one garlic clove daily as it has favorable effects on cardiac factors.
- • Keep your body hydrated with the intake of lots of water.
- • Cold water fish should be preferred over other animal proteins.
- • Most useful herb for improving the circulation of blood is ashvaganda. Hence, it works as one of the most effective home remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) natural treatment.
- • Broccoli being rich in fiber content is considered good for cardio vascular patients.
- • An aggravated stress hormone narrows down the blood vessels. Celery is an active compound and helps in reducing the stress hormone and should be included in diet.
- • Proper vascular state is maintained with the proper amount of Vitamin C in the body.
- • Banana, apricot, spinach juice help in keeping the blood pressure normal.
- • Skimmed milk should be used, as non skimmed milk offers extra fat which deposits on the walls of blood vessels thereby thinning their diameter.
- • Capsicum and pepper help in preventing the platelets to stick together, so you can also include them in your diet.
- • Prepare a juice of leaves of spinach and one part each of pepper, garlic and clove. This is one of the best herbal remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
- • Use mustard oil, canola oil instead of high fat cooking oils.
Dos and Don’ts for DVT
- • Avoid food rich in high Vitamin K.
- • Avoid smoking.
- • Avoid the intake of alcohol, as it dehydrates you.
- • Lose weight if overweight.
- • Control your blood pressure.
- • Wear compression stockings if advised by your doctor.
- • Avoid drinking too much coffee or tea.
- • Daily walk for 15 – 20 min.
- • Cut down your daily dose of margarine, processed foods.
- • Avoid long duration flights, if cannot then try walking on aisle after every 2 hours or so.
- • Don’t sit with an obstruction to the thigh muscle.
- • Elevate your leg up to 6 inches while sleeping.
- • Don’t sit idle for long time, move your legs.
- • Exercise your lower calf muscles, only after consulting your doctor.
- • Avoid doing risky things which may cause bleeding.
Natural therapies consisting of home remedies for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) prevention are made with common herbs, vegetables, fruits to heal problems of blood clotting and maintain a proper blood circulation.
Bubble Trouble says
This is a wonderful write-up. I am going to take more time studying this topic.
Srinivasan V.R. says
This was very useful write up. The home remedies tips were useful. I will try and revert back after it works out. DVT and compression socks are going to be life time process.
Hi Srinivasan, How are you doing now.
from how long are you have DVT, and how is recovery process going on. Pls give me ur inputs.. I’m having this problem from past 2 years and see no good progress with anticoagulants
Srinivasan V.R. says
Educative article. The home remedies tips were useful. I will try and revert back after it works out. DVT and compression socks are going to be life time process.
Ndu Bojelo says
hi, i have bin diagnosed with dvt nd i find ur website helpful, i want to try home remedies together with warfarin
It was really useful specially the section of home remedies. I had never seen any food list for dvt. thanks
Arsen Lutaaya says
Finally we have got a working herbal remedy for DVT in spinach, capsican & garlic blend.