What is Detoxification?
Detoxification of the body involves removal of toxins from the body to avoid health problems caused by accumulation of toxins over a period of time. Although the body has a natural healing system to remove toxins, the adoption of natural home remedies for Detoxification helps enhance the natural process.
It promotes the elimination of toxins, nourishes the body, and improves immunity and overall health. The process primarily involves dietary and lifestyle changes.
Detoxification therapy, however, is usually not recommended for infants, nursing mothers and individuals suffering from chronic degenerative diseases like cancer, cerebral diseases, active pulmonary diseases, thyroid disorder, diabetes, anemia etc.
Need for Detoxification
Need for detoxification arises because of build up of chemical and biochemical toxins in the body due to unhealthy diet consisting of chemically enhanced foods, alcohol, caffeine, environmental pollution, prolonged consumption of water laden with heavy metals and poor digestion.
Signs like lack of energy, lethargy, inability to concentrate, general muscle and joint pain, frequent colds, sore throat, impaired immune function, weight problems, insomnia, irritability, increased skin problems such as Eczema may also indicate a need for detoxification and neutralization of potentially harmful chemicals from various organs of the body like liver, gall bladder, colon, kidney, skin etc.
Moreover, therapies like drug detoxification and alcohol detoxification can help reduce dependency on such addictive substances. However, when following the process of Detoxification, you may experience symptoms like bad breath, body odor, nausea, runny nose, sluggishness, headache, skin rashes, change in bowel movements etc.
Natural Home Remedies for Detoxification
• Herbs like dandelion, yellow dock, burdock, red clover and Echinacea are highly beneficial in the home treatment for natural Detoxification of the body as they serve as natural blood cleansers.
Dandelion and yellow docks are also considered as good laxatives. Dandelion also serves as effective marijuana Detoxification home remedy. Similarly, garlic, sage, Echinacea and yarrow help eliminate mucus.
• Licorice root works as an efficient detoxifier for liver and respiratory tract. It also helps heal kidney ailments. Milk thistle is regarded as a good liver tonic. Detoxification home remedies for digestive tract require intake of raw and steamed leafy vegetables, sprouts and fibrous fruits to increase roughage.
In addition, soak a few figs in water overnight. Next day, eat the figs and drink the solution as well. Eating raw asparagus leaves also helps detoxify the digestive tract.
• Cabbage Soup Detox is mostly used to aid in weight loss. It lasts for about one week and involves the consumption of a lot of water and soup prepared from cabbage, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, green peppers etc.
Master Cleanse or Lemon Detox Diet is another procedure used for losing weight. It requires salt water flush (or you can have herbal laxative tea) in the morning followed by consumption of lemonade prepared by mixing some cayenne pepper and two tablespoons each of lemon juice and maple syrup in eight ounces of pure water. You need to consume 6-12 glasses of this mixture in a day for about 10-14 days.
• Liver and gallbladder flush can be done through seven-day apple juice flush. For this, you need to eat 4-6 apples and drink about 4-5 glasses of organic apple juice for first six days and have a combination of lemon juice, olive oil and water every night. Perform enema on the seventh day in the morning. There is no compulsion to fast during this procedure. Apple juice flush also help0s remove gallstones.
• Home remedies for Detoxification of toxins from gastrointestinal tract can be done through a combination of 2 gm psyllium husk, bran and a tablespoon of olive oil. It also helps eliminate mucus along the small intestine.
• Having a glass of lukewarm water mixed with honey and lemon juice is the simplest natural remedy for Detoxification. Take this solution early in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Onion and garlic can be used for their antibacterial properties. Plus, they are also useful in thinning blood and regulating blood sugar levels. Unsweetened cranberry juice helps in the natural treatment for Detoxification of liver, kidney and gallbladder.
• Detoxification process can also involve the use of enemas. Coffee enema, in particular helps remove toxins from liver. Besides, procedures like Epsom salt bath, lymphatic massage, colon cleanse, clay foot wrap, dry massage with brush, loofah etc, contrast therapy shower (alternating hot and cold water treatment) etc are also help detoxify body.
• Natural home remedies for Detoxification aiming at kidney cleanse involves drinking plenty of liquids and having a light diet consisting of fruits (especially watermelons), fruit and vegetable juices, salads, herbal teas etc.
When following a kidney cleansing diet, you can have herbal decoction prepared by boiling one cup each of parsley leaves and celery leaves in 1.5 quarts of water for 15 minutes. Simmer the solution for about 10 minutes and finally take this decoction four to five times in a day. Corn silk tea and juniper berries also serve as good diuretics. Parsley seed is considered as an effective natural cure for Kidney Stones.
• Exercising can help eliminate toxins from skin through sweating. Apart from physical Detoxification, clean your mind of negative thought patterns to improve concentration and mental processes. Take adequate rest and do deep breathing exercises for relaxation. Detoxification diet regimes are mostly meant to be followed for two to four days.
Diet for Detoxification
Diet for Detoxification should be aimed at minimizing toxin load by avoiding harmful chemicals from sources like processed foods, deep fried snacks, refined sugars, caffeine, tobacco, alcohol etc.
Avoid flesh foods as well. Instead have adequate amount of fibrous foods like apples, grapes, strawberries, prunes, lemons, tomatoes, green vegetables, potatoes, rice, buckwheat, pasta and other less congesting foods. Moreover, Detoxification diet also includes intake of plenty of water to help dilute and flush out toxins. Juices, soups, broths and herbal teas are also beneficial.
It is recommended to follow natural home remedies for Detoxification at least one or two times in a year, but not for a long duration. Keep in mind that cleansing too often can give rise to nutritional deficiencies. In addition, consult a nutritionist before embarking on a detox diet plan so that it can be modified to suit your needs.