What is Diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea, commonly known as ‘loose stomach’, is an intestinal disorder characterized by frequent (three or more than three times a day) loose or liquid stools. Basically, in this condition, water is either not absorbed or is secreted in excess by the organs of the body as a result of Gastroenteritis. Therefore, with the frequent passage of liquid stools, it often results in dehydration if proper care is not taken.
Diarrhoea can be acute or chronic. Of these, the chronic Diarrhoea often lasts longer (up to 3 weeks or more) Individuals with malnutrition may become weaker when faced with this disease. In extreme cases, it may also cause death due to loss of essential nutrients and dehydration.
Gastroenteritis caused by virus, bacteria, or parasites results in Diarrhoea. These organisms may cause an inflammation on the lining of the small intestine or they may produce toxins that stimulate the lining of small intestine (without causing inflammation) and lead to excessive secretion of fluids. It can be a symptom of serious diseases such as Cholera, Dysentery or Botulism.
Nowadays, a number of conventional over the counter medicines are available in the market but they have their own side effects too, especially in case of children. So, it is better to heal this problem as naturally and safely as possible with the help of natural home remedies for Diarrhoea.
Causes and Symptoms of Diarrhoea
This disease can be caused by temporary infections or by chronic intestinal diseases. Infections through contaminated food and water, viral infections, food intolerances, functional or intestinal diseases like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Celiac Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and Colon Cancer are some such factors that lead to Diarrhoea.
Certain medications like the ones for high blood pressure, or antibiotic or antacid drugs can also contribute in causing this disease. At times, overeating or eating wrong foods may also cause this disease.
Apart from the symptom of frequent urge to go to the bathroom, Diarrhoea is accompanied by symptoms like bloating, loss of appetite, nausea, fever, abdominal pain, or cramps. Sometimes, it is accompanied by bloody stools indicating a more serious underlying cause.
Natural Home Remedies for Diarrhoea
• Therapeutic herbs like rhubarb, aniseed, chamomile, thyme and meadowsweet are efficient natural home remedies for Diarrhoea.
• Drinking two glasses of grape juice in water is one of the most trusted natural home remedies for Diarrhea caused by food allergies.
• Mix some roasted cumin seeds and black salt in buttermilk and have this mixture after meals to prevent as well as cure Diarrhea naturally.
• Mix one teaspoon of cumin seeds with half a teaspoon of honey. Taking this mixture four times a day until the symptoms subside is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Diarrhea treatment.
• Simply taking one teaspoon of honey in half a glass of buttermilk is one of the easiest possible home remedies for Diarrhoea.
• Drinking a solution of basil juice mixed with betel juice helps to stop Diarrhea naturally.
• Extract the juice of mint leaves and have half a cup of this juice mixed with honey and lime juice thrice a day to relieve Diarrhea.
• Having a ripe banana with buttermilk is one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Diarrhoea.
• Add about two gm of cinnamon powder in some warm water and have this home medicine about three times in a day to cure Diarrhoea.
• Consuming a glass of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder is a safe and completely natural home remedy used in the treatment of Diarrhoea. Alternatively, turmeric rhizome can also be consumed in the same way, either with water or with buttermilk.
• Add 25 gm of yogurt and one teaspoon of ginger in about half a cup of mango juice. Mix these ingredients and consume the resultant mixture to get rid of Diarrhoea.
• Consuming boiled papaya (raw) is an effective natural remedy for Diarrhoea treatment.
• Boil some fenugreek seeds and fry them in butter. Take these seeds in a cup of buttermilk a couple of times a day to reduce Diarrhoea.
• Excessive thirst resulting from dehydration due to Diarrhoea can be relieved by drinking bottle gourd juice with a pinch of salt.
• Regularly drinking pomegranate juice throughout the day is one of the most popular Egyptian home remedies for Diarrhoea.
• 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of dried and powdered mango seeds can be consumed about twice in a day to cure Diarrhea.
• Eating a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg powder mixed with a ripe banana serves as a highly beneficial home remedy for Diarrhoea treatment.
• Take a quarter teaspoon of pepper powder, half a teaspoon of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of ginger juice and mix all the ingredients. Having this mixture two times in a day is beneficial in the treatment of Diarrhea.
• Having one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water along with each meal is considered as a successful natural home remedy to control Diarrhea.
• Rice gruel, arrowroot water, coconut water, and barley water are valuable in the treatment of Diarrhea.
• Drinking decoction of guava leaves in water provides relief from Diarrhoea.
• Taking beetroot juice added with honey is found benefitial in curing Diarrhoea with blood.
• Drinking the water obtained after cooking brown rice is the best natural remedy used in the treatment of Diarrhoea in infants.
• Carrot soup taken at regular intervals after half an hour is regarded as an excellent natural medicine when dealing with Diarrhoea.
• Taking half a cup of warm water mixed with one teaspoon of ginger juice is a tried and tested home remedy used to cure Diarrhoea as effectively as possible. This remdy is sure to give encouraging results when this mixture is taken after every hour.
• Add one teaspoon of juice extracted from drumstick leaves and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of coconut water. Having this mixture is one of the oldest yet effective remedial measures used in curing Diarrhea.
• Taking a mixture of half a teaspoon of powdered Indian Gooseberry and some black salt in water can ease this problem with great ease.
Diet for Diarrhoea
The diet for curing Diarrhoea should essentially include bananas, buttermilk, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, aniseeds, carom seeds, yogurt, carrots and a host of other such starchy items. Mashed apples are highly beneficial in this regard. Plus, having a glass of tomato juice mixed with salt and pepper early in the morning helps to reduce Diarrhoea and mild digestive problems.
Fruit juices like that of bael, pomegranate, orange etc can be safely consumed during the course of treatment. Similarly, taking carom seeds in water aids in healing this problem and reducing pain. One can also apply onion paste on the navel to get rid of Diarrhoea.
In severe cases, it is often recommended to observe a fast for a few days to give rest to the stomach. At times, it has been observed that the consumption of milk can aggravate this problem. Hence, it is better to stay away from milk until the disease is cured. Spicy foods should also be abstained from in order to avoid further inconvenience. There should be an emphasis on the consumption of liquids at regular intervals in order to avoid dehydrarion.