What is Dry Scalp?
The white, scaly flakes on scalp is the sign of Dry scalp that can be cured through home remedies for Dry Scalp natural treatment. These flakes are loosely attached to the scalp and therefore easily come off the hair.
Hair not washed properly after shampooing and left over traces of these hair care products results in dry scalp. A dry, flaky scalp is an embarrassing situation. When it is accompanied by scalp sores which cause itching or burning sensation, it can become a serious scalp condition.
Causes and Symptoms of Dry Scalp
Under secretion of sebaceous glands can lead to the condition of dry scalp. Excessive use of shampoo, chemicals and hair drier can also lead to dry scalp. Most of the shampoos in the market contain Sodium Lauryl sulphate, which is one of the main ingredients of liquid dish wash detergent. This degreases your scalp.
Hormonal and environmental factors can be the cause of dry scalp condition. Besides, lack of essential fatty acids in the diet can lead to the dry scalp condition. Excess intake of diuretics or caffeine promotes water loss through urination and leads to dry scalp.
Cold winds during cold winter months are one of the most common environmental causes of dry scalp. Washing your hairs with hard water and alkaline soaps can trigger dry scalp.
Deposition of some oily looking white flakes on the scalp, scratchy and itchy scalp are some of the signs of dry scalp. There is a condition called Seborrheic dermatitis in which skin becomes red and deposition of yellowish or whitish flaky scales occurs. It affects particularly those areas which are wealthy of oil glands.
These areas can be eyebrows, groin area, underarms, back of the ears, back of the ears, breastbone and sides of the nose. Seborrheic dermatitis of infants is called “cradle cap”. Psoriasis can also impinge on your scalp. A silvery bulky scale that is an excessive accretion of dead cells occurs in Psoriasis.
Sensitivity to specific hair care commodities can also lead to scaly, reddish, itchy scalp called “contact dermatitis”. Hot water can exacerbate the condition.
Natural Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
• Though it stinks, there is no end to the goodness of vinegar. Vinegar rinse helps in restoring natural acids, remove buildup left behind by shampoos, conditioners and other styling products like gels and balances pH. Hence, it serves as one of the best natural home remedies for Dry Scalp.
• Dried herbs like thyme, stinging nettle, yarrow, comfrey, calendula, rosemary, red clover, aloe vera, burdock, and witch hazel are traditional objects which are used to cure dry scalp.
Fill a jar with these herbs and then cover them by white wine vinegar or apple cider. Tightly place the lid on jar. Place the jar at warm place and keep shaking it twice a day for 4 to 5 weeks.
Filter the mixture through a piece of cheesecloth. Add one cup of water and 10 drops of essential oil such as olive oil to this mixture. You can use this Vinegar rinse after shampooing.
• Giving a massage to your scalp with lukewarm olive oil really helps. It promotes blood flow to the scalp. It not only reduces dryness but also help in improving overall quality of your hair.
• Rub some plain yogurt on the scalp. Keep it for 15 minutes. It helps reducing dandruff.
• Whisk an egg into the yogurt and then apply it on the scalp and keep it for 15 minutes. This is a sure shot home remedy for dry scalp.
• Treat your dry scalp by massaging the scalp with vitamin E oil or lavender oil.
• Vitamin B oil can also be used to get rid of dry scalp as it aids the production of melanin. Thus it not only provides moisture to the scalp but also color the hair.
• Whisk one teaspoon of each of lemon juice and coconut oil with fuller’s earth. Apply this paste to your hair and scalp. Keep it for at least an hour. Rinse your hair. This is a sure shot natural remedy to get rid of dry scalp.
• Prepare a delicious mask by combining banana and honey. Apply this mask on scalp and keep it for 30 minutes. After that rinse off with cold water. This moistens the hair and serves as one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Dry Scalp home treatment.
• Mix grounded oat meal with water. Gently massage your hair with this paste. Leave this paste for 30 minutes. After that wash your hair with cold water.
• Conditioning your hairs with oils and herbs helps restoring moisture to the scalp. It not only promotes blood circulation but also prevent itching and flaking.
• Neem extracts and oil removes itching and redness because of its ideal skin conditioning properties.
Diet for Dry Scalp
Diet should be rich in Vitamin C, B, zinc and iron. Vitamin A should not be taken in excess. Protein is must for healthy scalp. Intake of caffeine and alcohol should be as low as possible. Besides, application of natural home remedies for Dry Scalp helps reduce this problem considerably.