What is Dry Skin?
Dry Skin and queries related to Dry Skin home remedies are the most commonly searched topics related to skin problems. Dry Skin is natural skin condition characterized by lack of moisture and a low level of sebum on the skin. Consequently, the skin appears rough, dull and lusterless.
The lack of adequate amount of natural oils on the skin makes the skin more sensitive and susceptible to cracking which in turn gives rise to itching and scaling.
In addition, it encourages the development of wrinkles at a comparatively early age. Face, arms, thighs, lower legs and the sides of the abdomen are most commonly affected by this condition.
Using warm but not hot water while bathing, not bathing too frequently, applying moisturizing products when the skin is a bit damp, gently patting the skin dry instead of rubbing it are some common and helpful basic tips for dealing with Dry Skin.
The home treatment of Dry skin consists of various natural remedies like preparation of homemade face masks for Dry Skin. Natural facial masks can be used about once in a week’s time to cure Dry Skin effectively.
Causes and Symptoms of Dry Skin
As already mentioned, Dry Skin is primarily the result of inadequate oil production by the oil glands present in the skin. Climatic conditions characterized by cold weather or low humidity make the condition worse. Nutritional deficiencies and dehydration may also contribute in the same.
Using harsh skin products, especially soaps with harsh chemicals tends to make the skin even drier. At times, certain thyroid disorders, intake of certain medications or a genetic predisposition may also cause Dry Skin.
Some common symptoms associated with dry skin are cracking, itching, scaling and peeling of the skin. Dry Skin usually lacks the natural shine and appears rough and tight. The skin tends to become drier with increasing age.
Natural Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Homemade face masks:
- Face masks prepared from peach, apricot, avocado, papaya or banana serve as effective natural home remedies for Dry Skin on face. Mash any of these fruits, add some rose water, apply for about fifteen minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Applying a mixture of one teaspoon of green clay and a teaspoon of raw honey for about fifteen minutes and then washing it off with lukewarm water serves as a good Dry Skin natural cure. Apply this Dry Skin mask on a regular basis.
- A combination of one egg yolk, one teaspoon of honey, half a teaspoon of olive oil and a few drops of rose water is one of the most popular skin care home remedies for Dry Skin. A combination of oatmeal and honey also makes for an effective Dry Skin remedy.
- A mixture of one teaspoon of lime juice and one teaspoon of mashed avocado is one of the best natural home remedies for Dry Skin on hands and feet.
- Take 2-3 apples, grate them and apply for ten to twenty minutes. Finally, rinse with cold water. This is one of the simplest natural cures for healing Dry Skin in winters.
- Prepare a paste by adding two to three teaspoons of peanuts and a quarter teaspoon of honey in some raw milk. Blend the mixture and apply it to reduce the problem of Dry Skin.
Other Dry Skin home remedies:
- Add about 250 grams of powdered milk, half a teaspoon of almond oil and a few drops any aromatic oil in warm bath water and soak in it. Take this milk bath on weekly basis as a Dry Skin natural remedy.
- Herbal teas like that of dandelion, chamomile, peppermint, calendula, fennel etc are regarded as excellent natural home remedies for Dry Skin in winter season.
- Facial sauna using chamomile, peppermint, lavender or other similar herbs can also be done on a weekly basis to heal Dry Skin and related problems.
- Soak some almonds in water overnight. In the morning, peel and then grind them. Add some rose water in the ground mixture and apply the mixture on the face for about 15 minutes. Finally, wash it off with cold water to avoid Dry Skin naturally.
- Massaging the skin with aloe vera gel, almond oil, grapefruit oil, avocado oil, olive oil or other such therapeutic oils also helps to soften and remove dry skin from face.
Diet for Dry Skin
A balanced and healthy diet consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts, with special emphasis on raw foods and foods rich in vitamin A, vitamin B and vitamin E is a highly recommended home remedy for Dry Skin natural treatment.
Carrots, apricots, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, cauliflowers, plums, asparagus, cantaloupes, red grapes, raspberries and other similar yellow and orange fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants are highly beneficial for healthy skin.
Last but not the least, have adequate amount of water at regular intervals throughout the day to keep the skin well hydrated. Besides, stay away from caffeinated and alcoholic beverages as they lead to loss of fluids and essential minerals from the body.