What is Ear Congestion?
Ear Congestion is a complicated and irritating ear condition characterized by congestion in the Eustachian tube of the ear. The most annoying symptom of this condition is muffled hearing. It is considered as a more serious problem in case of children.
Basically, any partial or complete blockage in the Eustachian tube gives rise to Ear Congestion. The Eustachian tube that connects the middle ear to the back of the nose helps in regulating the air pressure in the middle ear and when it fails to carry out this essential function, problems like earache, ear infection, headache, reduced hearing etc also arise after some time.
This frustrating problem can be effectively healed at home by following any of the numerous home remedies for Ear Congestion natural treatment. Ear Congestion is generally a temporary condition but cases of Ear Congestion for more than 48 hours usually require medical attention.
Causes and Symptoms of Ear Congestion
As already mentioned Ear Congestion is a common ENT disorder caused by blockage in the Eustachian tube because of cold, hay fever, sinus infection, sore throat, extra wax buildup, congenital blockage of the Eustachian tube etc.
Besides, middle ear infections, fluid accumulation in the middle ear or injuries in the inner ear may also lead to Ear Congestion or clogging in ears. Sudden increase in barometric pressure mostly due to air travel, scuba diving and other similar factors may contribute in causing this problem.
Changes in air pressure on higher altitudes tend to worsen the pain and discomfort caused by Ear Congestion. Though rare, still serious cases of Ear Congestion may also be caused by Meniere’s disease. Chronic or recurrent Ear Congestions may be indicative of possible ear disorders.
Common symptoms of Ear Congestion are a sensation of plugging or fullness in either or both the ears, cracking, popping or ringing noises in the affected ear and sudden reduced or muffled hearing.
The symptom of ringing in ears is also called Tinnitus. Air pressure may also lead to earache in case of Ear Congestion caused by increase in barometric pressure. Additional symptoms dizziness and headache may also be present.
Natural Home Remedies for Ear Congestion
• Hydrogen peroxide and olive oil serve as excellent natural home remedies for Ear Congestion caused by ear wax buildup. Follow this therapy by first putting about three to four drops of either of these remdies for about five minutes and then rinsing the ear out with an ear dropper filled with warm water.
Cotton balls soaked in olive oil can also be placed in the ears to get rid of Ear Congestion in a safe way.
• Simply having a hot water shower for about 10-15 minutes also helps in clearing Ear Congestion to a great extent. Inhaling steam is also beneficial in opening the Eustachian tube and hence getting rid of Ear Congestion.
• Prepare a mixture by adding white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in equal proportions. Putting one or two drops of this natural remedy on the ears is one of the most popular home remedies for Ear Congestion due to ear infection. Follow this home treatment thrice in a day to cure Ear Congestion naturally at home.
• Activities like chewing gums and swallowing water while pinching the nose are also regarded as successful Ear Congestion home remedies. However, children less than six years of age should not be given chewing gums.
• Simply inhaling through the mouth while closing the nostrils with fingers and then forcing out the air through the nose is a highly beneficial quick natural remedy for relieving Ear Congestion naturally at home.
Diet for Ear Congestion
Ear Congestion treatment at home can also be supported with an appropriate diet, particularly when the condition is caused by an underlying ear infection. The key to such a diet is the inclusion of adequate amount of vitamin C and zinc rich foods in the normal healthy diet.
In addition, though spicy food is not considered good for health, still it helps in causing runny nose which in turn helps in easing the pain. Actions like yawning and swallowing help to reduce Ear Congestion by activating the muscles responsible for opening the Eustachian tube.
In fact, for avoiding this problem during air travel, this is one of the most highly recommended Ear Congestion home remedies that work best, especially when followed during take off and landing.