What is Edema?
Edema is often known as Dropsy or Hydropsy. Basically, the condition is characterized by the accumulation of excess fluid in the tissues of the body, generally the legs, arms, ankles or feet. Due to this fluid accumulation, the affected parts of the body swell up. When this accumulation takes place in the lower legs or hand, it is referred to as Peripheral Edema.
In the same way, when the chest is the site of excess fluid accumulation, it is called Pulmonary Edema and in the case of abdomen, it is called Ascites. Pulmonary Edema is also a symptom of heart failure. Along with the conventional medicines, the natural home remedies for Edema are equally beneficial in the treatment of this disease. In fact, in certain cases (like pregnancy) the home remedies are much safer to adopt.
Causes of Edema
Malnutrition (especially the deficiency of vitamin B5 and vitamin B6), excessive consumption of salts, heat, burns and physical inactivity are the primary causes of Edema. Pregnancy, menstruation, menopause and the use of contraceptive pills increase the risk of this disease in women.
Besides, certain medications and medical conditions like heart failure, liver diseases, allergies, thyroid diseases, inadequate lymphatic system, Diabetes and chronic lung diseases can also cause Edema. Brain tumors and head injuries may lead to Edema in the region of the Brain.
Symptoms of Edema
Swelling is the most obvious symptom of this disease. This swelling may make the skin appear shiny and stretched. On pressing the skin at the site of the disease, it tends to remain pressed for about ten seconds. Other symptoms include stiff joints, change in weight, increased blood pressure, increased pulse rate, and aches in affected part of the body.
Natural Home Remedies for Edema
• Prepare parsley tea with two teaspoons of dried parsley leaves. Drinking this tea thrice a day is one of the safest natural home remedies for Edema.
• Barley water is an excellent natural remedy for pregnancy related Edema.
• Massaging with warm mustard oil is one of the most highly recommended home remedies for Edema. Another remdy with mustard is to apply the solution of two teaspoons of mustard seeds soaked in water.
• Take two cups of water and add a few tablespoons of coriander seeds in it. Boil the solution till half of the original amount of water is left. Drinking this solution is a tried and tested home remedy used to cure Edema.
• The therapeutic properties of tea tree oil are good for healing this disease.
• Applying flaxseed oil is one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Edema treatment.
• Keeping a pillow under the leg is highly beneficial in reducing Edema in legs.
• Pregnant women can put their feed under cold running water for about 15-20 minutes to cure Edema.
• Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular and equally effective natural home remedy for Edema treatment.
Diet for Edema
At times, Edema is caused by dehydration too. Therefore, it is necessary to consume adequate amount of water throughout the day. Cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, and herbal teas are also useful in this regard. Whole grain foods, onions, cucumbers, apples, cabbage, grapes, melons, lettuce, tomatoes and peppers serve as natural diuretics. These items should be positively included in the diet to eliminate Edema in a natural way. Green leafy vegetables should become an inseparable part of the diet.
Foods with high amounts of carbohydrates should be avoided as much as possible as carbohydrates tend to retain water. Instead of carbohydrates, it would be better to consume more proteins until the disease is cured. Red meat, and oily fishes like salmon and tuna should be avoided as far as possible in order to control Edema. Alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking should be discontinued if faster recovery is desired.
As Edema is caused by excessive intake of salts, reducing the intake of salt is an obvious step. Therefore, processed salty foods, and items like soy sauce and olive should also be avoided. It would be better to replace salt with lemon. Another important remedial measure would be to indulge in some physical activities to improve the circulation of blood.