What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a painful disease occurring in women, often resulting in the problem of infertility. In this condition, the endometrial tissue tends to grow on the area outside the uterus like on the ovaries, the fallopian tubes, on the pelvic sidewall etc.
Basically, endometrial tissue is the tissue that lines the uterus but under normal conditions it does not grow outside the uterus.This disease has a tendency to grow with the passage of time. It can aggravate further and cause ovarian cysts or Endometrioma that may interfere with ovulation. Although Endometriosis is a non-cancerous disease, still women with this disease are found more susceptible to develop lymphoma, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and melanoma.
Endometriosis may also recur after its treatment. Still, the natural home remedies for Endometriosis comprising a number of natural cures and herbs provide a relatively safer means of treatment against the conventional medicines which usually consist of harmful painkillers. Hysterectomy is often recommended for curing Endometriosis surgically, though one should be aware of the fact that the disease can still recur even after this surgery. None of the treatments have been known to cure this disease completely.
Causes and Symptoms of Endometriosis
Unfortunately, the cause of Endometriosis is not known till now. However, scientific studies have found that estrogen tends to worsen this disease because it stimulates the endometrial tissue. Other factors include Metaplasia, Lymphatic distribution, Retrograde Menstruation, immunologic defects and environmental factors like toxics.
Women who are relatively taller or thinner (with low Body Mass Index) are more prone to develop this disease. Moreover, the ones who delay their pregnancy till older age are also at an increased risk. Endometriosis is often associated with hereditary factors. In fact, it has a likelihood of getting worse with each progressive generation.
Pain in the pelvic area is the most common symptom of Endometriosis. Other symptoms include premenstrual spotting, painful menstruation radiating to the lower back, fatigue, pain during intercourse, intestinal upsets like diarrhea or constipation during menstruation, and blood in urine. Over a period of time, scar tissues may also develop. These symptoms may be mild, severe or completely absent in different women.
Natural Home Remedies for Endometriosis
• Drinking fruit juices like that of papaya, dark grape, pineapple and mango is one of the simplest and equally effective natural home remedies for Endometriosis treatment.
• Applying ice packs or heating pads on the abdominal area is a common home remdy used for controlling Endometriosis pains.
• Therapeutic herbs like goldenseal, crampbark, wild yam, dandelion, and burdock are efficient home remedies for Endometriosis. They can be used in the form of decoction, tea, infusion, capsules or liquid extracts.
• Brussels sprouts, cabbage, flaxseeds, bok choy, kale and cauliflower are effective home remedies for Endometriosis.
• Having beans like lima beans, pinto beans, yellow split beans, red lentils, black turtle beans, anasazi beans, mung beans, red kidney beans, black eyed peas etc acts as a highly beneficial natural remedy in curing as well as preventing Endometriosis. Alfalfa sprouts are also valuable in reducing Endometriosis.
• Home remdies in the form of Yogic exercises like Pranayam are valuable in the treatment of Endometriosis disease and its symptoms.
• Drinking ginger tea serves as a good home remedy to cure Endometriosis related nausea.
• Acupressure is also known to heal this problem.
Diet for Endometriosis
Peanuts and their papery red membrane are often considered as effective natural cure for Endometriosis. Besides, eating fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids is highly beneficial in this regard. Fruits and vegetables high in vitamin B and fiber should be positively included in the diet to get rid of Endometriosis as naturally as possible.
Beans, cabbage, cauliflower, whole grains, peas, pulses, flaxseed oil, cereals and salads should become an essential part of the diet. When dealing with Endometriosis, calcium plays a vital role in reducing pelvic pains and muscle cramps. Spinach, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, almonds, safflower and sunflower oils are rich sources of antioxidants which help in controlling Endometriosis related pains.
The consumption of herbs like cordyceps, fennel seeds, dan shen, peony and licorice should be restricted as they promote excess production of estrogen in the body. The patient should also stay away from the consumption of excess sugar, alcohol, and caffeine products. Red meat and other high fat animal products should be excluded from the diet to avoid further problems. Fried and processed foods and dairy products should be avoided as far as possible.