What are Eye Infections?
Eye Infections are mostly caused by virus or bacteria but most of them can very well be cured using home remedies for Eye Infections natural treatment. Some common types of Eye Infections are Conjunctivitis, Blepharitis, Corneal Ulcer, Stye, Trachoma etc.
Conjunctivitis, referred to as Pink Eye is the most common type of eye infection caused by infection of the conjunctiva, a thin membrane that covers the white portion of the eye and inner surface of the eyelids. Individuals who have allergic conditions are more susceptible to this problem.
Blepharitis is a non contagious eyelid inflammation that can be caused by bacterial infection or as a complication to seborrhoeic dermatitis. Stye is another type of bacterial eye infection that appears in the form of a small pimple on eyelid. It is usually harmless and tends to disappear within a few days.
Causes and Symptoms of Eye Infections
As already mentioned, Eye Infections are caused by micro organisms like bacteria and virus. For instance, Staphylococcal bacteria can cause Sty and Blepharitis.
Trachoma eye infection is caused by bacterium chlamydia trachomatis. It is more common in poor, rural areas with improper sanitary conditions. Corneal ulcers are generally caused by viral (herpes simplex virus, varicella virus), bacterial or fungal infections.
Factors like eye injuries, weak immune system, other viral or bacterial diseases, wearing contact lenses without proper disinfection and other such factors increase the risk of developing Eye infections.
Eye irritation, pain, itching, inflammation, blurred vision and watery eyes are the most common symptoms of Eye Infections. Moreover, Conjunctivitis also causes redness, burning sensation and watery discharge. Sty is characterized by the formation of a small lump on the top or bottom eyelid.
Trachoma, on the other hand, progresses gradually to eyelid scarring, corneal clouding, eventually leading to partial or complete blindness if not treated in time.
Natural Home Remedies for Eye Infections
• Eyebright herb is one of the best natural home remedies for Eye Infections. You can take eyebright tea, tincture or liquid extract, or use a light mixture (a teaspoon of dried eyebright steeped in a pint of boiling water) as an eye wash about 3-4 times in a day. It can also be used as a compress over eyes.
Do not take this natural remedy in excess or else it may give rise to issues like nausea, fatigue, restlessness, increased eye pressure, swelling, difficulty breathing etc. It should not be followed by pregnant and nursing women.
• Using aloe vera juice as eyewash is a highly beneficial natural cure for Eye Infections. You can also soak a piece of cloth in the juice and place it over your eyes to reduce Eye Infection. It is particularly helpful in healing Stye. Warm tea bags or compresses can also be used to cure Sty naturally.
• Add 2-3 granules of alum in a glass of distilled water and use this mixture as eyewash for about one week to get rid of Eye Infections like Stye.
• Placing warm compresses infused with lavender rose or chamomile oil is another useful Eye Infections home remedy.
• Add three tablespoons of honey in about two cups of boiling water and use this solution to wash your eyes in order to reduce Eye Infections. Or, you can simply put one or two drops of honey in eye for 2-3 times in a day.
• In case there is swelling, you can mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder in two cups of water and put a few drops of this solution about three times in a day.
• Placing cold bread over the eyes is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Eye Infections to reduce itching and inflammation. Cold tea bags can be placed over eyes to relieve burning sensation. Cold red raspberry tea bags are quite soothing in this regard.
• Boil a teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water, strain the solution and use it as eyewash to get rid of Eye Infections caused by bacteria.
• Licorice root and elderberry blossom tea are considered as therapeutic Eye Infections home remedies. Proper dosage of these herbal remedies, however, should be determined by a doctor or naturopath.
• Application of marigold compress over eyes is a valuable natural remedy for Eye Infections, particularly Pink Eye. Jasmine flowers can also be used in Pink Eye natural treatment.
Just add about 7-8 jasmine flowers in a jar filled with distilled water, close the lid and leave it overnight. Finally, put a few drops of this solution in your eyes in the morning. Use this homemade medicine 3-4 times in a day to heal the infection.
• Boric acid eye wash is another useful Eye Infection natural cure for Conjunctivitis because it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. To prepare this eyewash, add one teaspoon of boric acid and ten drops of goldenseal tincture in a cup of boiling water.
Cool and pour this solution in an eye cup, immerse the affected eye in it and then clean the eye with a clean soft towel. Do not forget to remove your lenses before using this remedy.
Natural home remedies for Eye Infections home treatment should be used for minor infections after consulting with a qualified doctor to avoid chances of aggravation. Besides, proper diagnosis can help determine the condition to rule out the possibility of any serious disease.
Diet for Eye Infections
When dealing with Eye Infections, take proper measures to avoid spreading the infection, clean the eyes regularly and take a diet rich in vitamin A, beta carotene, antioxidant and zinc rich foods like carrots, pumpkins, oranges, papayas, tomatoes, spinach etc to reduce the infection and facilitate the process of healing.