What is Fever?
Fever is a medical condition in which the body temperature increases due to an underlying disease or illness. A temperature of 99.9 °F or more in the mouth indicates Fever. Similarly, rectal temperature of 100-101 °F or more and axillary (under the arm) temperature of 99 °F or more are indicative of Fever.
To determine whether there is Fever or not, individuals should use digital thermometers to measure the temperature of the body. Mercury thermometers can also be used but they are generally not recommended because of the risk of accidental exposure of this element which is dangerous for health. Axillary (under the arm) temperature reading is not considered as effective as the oral or rectal temperature reading.
Temperature can also be measured with the help of Tympanic thermometers. These thermometers measure the temperature in the eardrum. Normal tympanic temperature should be around 96 to 100 °F.
Generally, Fever is not considered serious until the body temperature rises above 100.4 °F (38 °C). Therefore, slight fevers are usually cured by the body without any external help or treatment.
Though, in case of elderly people, even a low grade Fever should be taken seriously because they have less body heat. Specific treatments and natural home remedies for fever should be adopted in case of troublesome Fever accompanied by discomforting symptoms.
Causes of Fever
Respiratory tract infections like Cold, Flu, sore throat, bronchitis, sinus infections or ear infections are most common causes of developing Fever. Viral gastroenteritis, bacterial gastroenteritis or urinary tract infections may also result in the same.
Other serious causes include bone infections, skin infections, Pneumonia, Tuberculosis, Malaria, Jaundice, Appendicitis and other such diseases. Autoimmune or inflammatory disorders like Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis etc may also cause Fever along with other symptoms.
The normal temperature for healthy adults should be around 92-101 °F (oral), 94-100 °F (rectal) and 96-99 °F (axillary). While taking the temperature, one should keep in mind that physical activity, high humidity, heavy clothing, eating and strong emotions tend to increase the normal body temperature without any serious effects. Plus, it has been observed that the body temperature tends to be a bit higher during evening time.
Symptoms of Fever
Any persistent increase in the temperature beyond the normal range of temperature is taken as a sign of Fever. In fact, it is generally recommended to let the slight Fevers heal by themselves. The reason is that Fever serves as a natural defense of the body to get rid of bacteria and viruses. Actually, bacteria, viruses and other such microorganisms thrive on the normal temperature of the body. So, the body increases the temperature in order to drive away these microorganisms.
Although, when the temperature increases up to 104 °F or more then it calls for immediate medical attention and assistance, especially for individuals suffering from cardiac problems. A body temperature of 107.6 °F (42 °C) or more may cause serious brain damage.
Moreover, Fever is often considered as one of the initial symptoms of serious illnesses like cancer and Leukemia. Children may develop slight Fever (up to 100 °F) during the teething period. At times, heat exhaustion or the intake of certain medicines like antibiotics, antihistamines or seizure medicines may also cause Fever.
Apart from the elevated temperature, other common symptoms associated with Fever are muscle ache, coated tongue, nausea, burning eyes, headache, loss of appetite, fatigue etc.
Natural Home Remedies for Fever
• Tepid water baths are most popular among several home remedies for Fever. These baths help to reduce the elevated temperature. The temperature of the water should be around 85 0F (30 °C), that is, neither too hot nor cold. Cold compresses can also e applied on the forehead to reduce Fever in case the temperature increases up to 103 °F. Although, ice water should never be used in such cases.
• Mix about 10 g of fresh ginger and the same amount, that is, one tablespoon of raisins and crush the mixture. Then, add this mixture in 200 ml of water and boil the solution. Keep boiling until the solution reduces to 50 ml. It should take one hour’s time. Finally, strain and drink the warm solution to cure Fever naturally. This home remedy can be taken up to two times in a day to heal the problem.
• Taking a combination of one teaspoon of honey with one or two drops of ginger juice mixed in it is highly beneficial in the home treatment of Fever. Lime juice can also be added to this mixture.
• Having a mixture of 7 or 8 basil leaves and about 3 or 4 black peppercorns is regarded as one of the simplest natural home remedies for Fever treatment.
• Simply having basil tea is another effective natural remedy for Fever. Having juice extracted from sweet basil leaves 2-3 times in a day is equally effective.
• Herbal teas serve as excellent home remedies for Fever. One such tea can be prepared by boiling some water mixed with two teaspoons of ginger powder, half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and two pieces of cardamom. Saffron tea prepared from half a teaspoon of saffron in 30 ml of water is also beneficial. The patient should have one teaspoon of this tea after every hour until the Fever gets cured.
• Having fenugreek tea two times in a day is also useful in dealing with Fever. Linden tea, Willow bark tea and tea prepared from black elder also act as natural Fever reducing remedies.
• Diluted grapefruit juice serves as a therapeutic Fever cure. To dilute the juice, mix half glass of water in half a glass of grapefruit juice.
• Take a cup of water and add five or six basil leaves, half a teaspoon of black pepper, some lemon grass, onion pieces, and a few garlic pieces in it. Finally, boil the mixture and have it three times a day to relieve Fever and related symptoms.
• Heat a mixture of two cloves of garlic crushed in two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the sole of each foot and wrap it with the help of plastic over night. This home remedy is regarded as one of the most trusted natural home remedies for Fever caused by infections. Onion pieces can also be used ion the same way.
• Place a potato in the refrigerator for some time and then slice it. Put these pieces on the forehead for a few minutes and replace with new slices when they become warm. This remdy helps to bring down Fever almost immediately.
Diet for Fever
During Fever, the diet should consist of easily digestible foods. Vegetable soups, steamed vegetables, fruits and fruit juices are particularly useful in this regard. Orange juice is often recommended for individuals suffering from Fever as increases the resistance of the body in fighting off infections. Plus, it provides instant energy. Juices derived from apricots and grapefruits are also beneficial.
Bitter gourd, egg plant, cooked radish and barley water also help in dealing with Fevers. Cow’s milk is also helpful when taken in small quantities, 2-3 times in a day. In addition, drink plenty of liquids, especially during daytime. Apart from this, stay away from oily and spicy foods.
Refined and processed foods prepared from white flour and sugar should also be avoided until the Fever goes away. Along with these measures, the patient should take rest and avoid exertion, whether mental or physical.