What are Fungal Infections?
As the name suggests, Fungal Infections are infections caused by microorganisms called fungi. They are generally not considered serious unless the affected individual’s immune system is weak. Athlete’s Foot, Jock Itch, Tinea, Ringworm and Candida infections are some common yet less harmful Fungal Infections.
At times, Fungal Infections may spread to blood or internal organs of the body by penetrating deeper into the skin. Such infections are more serious in nature. Basically, Fungal Infection spreads when an individual comes in contact with fungal spores that are spread in the air.
When these fungal spores are inhaled, they cause Fungal Infections in the lungs and when they are contacted on the skin, they cause Skin Infections. They can be superficial or systematic. Superficial infections are mostly caused by dermatophytes and affect the surface of the skin.
On the other hand, systematic infections are deeper infections that can reach up to the tissues, blood or lungs. They are generally caused by fungi present in specific geographical locations. Some such infections include Blastomycosis, Cryptococcosis, Aspergillosis, Candidiasis, Histoplasmosis and other related infectious diseases. Most of the Fungal Infections are not very contagious. Though, there are some exceptions.
Conventionally, a number of medicines can be used to eliminate Fungal Infections. But excessive consumption of these medicines has been found to result in mild as well as serious side effects like anemia, kidney damage, fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. To avoid such harmful side effects, holistic treatment with the help of several natural home remedies for Fungal Infections can be adopted.
Causes of Fungal Infections
Certain fungi are normally present on the skin and body. But, under certain conditions when there is a shift in the normal balance of the microorganisms, these fungi grow incessantly and result in infections. Moreover, a weak immune system almost plays host to such problems. Certain drugs like antibiotics, corticosteroids, azathioprine and the ones administered during chemotherapy suppress the immune system thereby increasing the risk of Fungal Infections.
Other factors that weaken the immune system include diseases like Diabetes, Leukemia, AIDS, lung disorders, kidney failure, lymphomas, extensive burns etc. Some systematic infections are caused by fungi present in the soil, plants and house dust. Fungal Infections that are contagious in nature are usually spread from an infected individual to an uninfected individual either by direct contact or by using infected objects.
Symptoms of Fungal Infections
Usually, the site of the infection determines the type of symptoms caused by it. Still, some common signs and symptoms of Fungal Infections include inflammation, irritation, itching, redness of the skin, peeling, etc. Besides, some kinds of Fungal Infections can trigger allergic reactions as well. When Fungal Infections occur on the fingernails or toenails, they are known as Onychomycosis. It results in brittleness, discoloration, rough edges and other such problems in nails.
On the other hand, Fungal Infections in the lungs may lead to symptoms like fever, coughing, headaches, muscle aches, rashes and so on. Certain infections take months or even years before manifesting the symptoms. They cause progressive symptoms like weight loss, night sweats, chest pain etc. Acute and chronic Fungal Infections can cause permanent lung, organ, and bone damage. If not treated I time, they can become fatal too.
Natural Home Remedies for Fungal Infections
• Lavender oil, oregano oil, and garlic oils are excellent home remedies for Fungal Infections in nails. Apply any of these oils on the under side of the nails two times in a day to heal the infection. A mixture of one teaspoon of olive oil and two drops of oregano oil can also be applied on the affected area to cure Fungal Infections.
• Prepare a paste-like mixture by mixing turmeric powder and water. Apply this paste on the affected area for sometime until it dries. Finally, wash it off with water to ease the symptoms and remove infections, especially in nails.
• Applying a light coat of pure tea tree oil on the feet is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Fungal Infection occurring on the feet. Continue this natural remedy for at least two weeks to see considerable difference.
• Soaking the affected area in a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar mixed in equal proportions is one of the most popular and effective natural home remedies for Fungal Infections.
• Applying a combination of crushed margosa (neem) leaves, basil powder and some rose water is a valuable remdy used to control Fungal Infections. A paste prepared from margosa leaves and turmeric powder can also be applied 2-3 times in a day on a regular basis to get rid of this problem. A combination of turmeric and basil is also beneficial.
• Consuming comfrey tea and echinacea tea on a regular basis are beneficial in reducing and avoiding infections.
• Having a combination of olive leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract in a glass of water is highly beneficial in the treatment of Fungal Infections.
• Application of juice extracted from fig leaves helps in dealing with Fungal Infections in the scalp. Black walnut is also useful in this regard.
• Apply aloe vera gel and the oil of castor beans in order to provide relief from symptoms and cure the disease simultaneously.
• Goldenseal herb, whether taken externally or internally serves as a therapeutic home remedy for Fungal Infection treatment.
• Taking a mixture prepared from lotus flowers and milk twice a day for at least half a month is one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Fungal Infections of the lips.
Diet for Fungal Infections
A healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals goes a long way in preventing Fungal Infections. Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc are particularly useful in this regard. Fruits like orange, melon, plum, grape, pear, grapefruit, lemon, sweet lime and other citrus fruits facilitate the process of healing. Also, grains like wheat, barley, rice, millet, corn, and oats can be safely included in the diet.
Including one or two cloves of raw garlic in the diet is one of the easiest home remedies for Fungal Infections. Cloves and onions act as natural cures for such infections due to their antifungal properties. Plus, unflavored yogurt, kefir and buttermilk should constitute an integral part of the diet for fighting Fungal Infections.
Besides, drink lots of water and maintain proper hygiene to control this problem. Apart from this, restrict the consumption of processed and packaged foods as they tend to aggravate the problem. Until the infection fades away, stay away from sugar as well.