What is Gastric Ulcer?
Gastric Ulcer is a gastric problem characterized by the development of open sores in the inner lining of the stomach. When these open sores occur in the duodenum, the ulcers are known as Duodenal Ulcers. Both these conditions are collectively referred to as Peptic Ulcers. Gastric Ulcer disease is more common in males aged 55-70.
More often than not, this problem is caused when acidic digestive juices present in the stomach corrode the tissues forming the inner lining of the stomach, thereby giving rise to ulceration. The condition is painful but the intensity of pain can not be relied upon for determining the severity of the disease.
Therefore, it is essential to diagnose the condition accurately and then follow effective treatment to provide maximum relief. Apart from conventional treatment, home remedies for Gastric Ulcer natural treatment are also considered highly beneficial for this purpose. The safe and inexpensive Gastric Ulcer natural remedies can help a great deal healing this disease effectively.
However, in case of complications and malignancies, surgical treatment may be recommended. When left untreated, the problem may lead to perforation of the stomach wall, gastric outlet obstruction and peritonitis.
Causes and Symptoms of Gastric Ulcer
Infection due to Helicobacter pylori bacteria present in the stomach is one of the most common causes of Gastric Ulcer. Though the exact cause of H. pylori infection is not known still, it is believed that the infections can spread from one individual to another through close contact or through food and water.
Factors like alcoholism, cigarette smoking, hyperacidity, stress, radiation therapy, prolonged intake of Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs like ibuprofen, aspirin etc tend to increase the risk of developing this problem.
Gastric and Duodenal Ulcers may also be caused by Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. This rare disorder is characterized by the presence of tumors in the pancreas. These tumors in turn release abnormal amounts of the hormone gastrin that causes an increase in the gastric acid.
Individuals suffering from Gastric Ulcer usually complain of burning pain in the upper part of the stomach. The pain tends to become worse a couple of hours before or after having meals. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, indigestion, loss of appetite, weight loss etc. The problem may also cause gastrointestinal bleeding giving rise to the problem of blood in poop.
Natural Home Remedies for Gastric Ulcer
• Having bananas is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Gastric Ulcer. The antacid effects of bananas are useful in providing relief from the problem and even aid in the process of healing. Banana can also be taken along with milk in the form of banana shake.
• Drinking a combination of vegetable juices like that of carrot, cucumber, beetroot, spinach, cabbage etc is a highly recommended Gastric Ulcer natural cure.
• Cabbage is another popular natural remedy for Gastric Ulcer home treatment. To prepare this home remedy, boil about 500 gm of cabbage in one liter water till the amount of water reduces to half.
Cool and strain the solution. Consume the solution two times per day and follow this therapy for about two weeks. To improve the taste, you can also add some carrot juice in this solution.
• Soak about 15 grams of wood apple leaves overnight in approximately 250 ml water. Strain and consume this infusion in the morning and continue this process for a few weeks to heal this problem. Wood apple or bel fruit is highly beneficial in curing a number of digestive disorders as it helps reduce inflammation.
• Take about ten grams of drumstick leaves and grind them. Add these crushed leaves in half a cup of yogurt and consume this mixture on a regular basis to relieve Gastric Ulcer.
• Consumption of fenugreek tea is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Gastric Ulcer. Herbs like cinnamon, chamomile, calendula, licorice, slippery elm etc are also beneficial in reducing this problem.
• Taking aloe vera juice before meals is regarded as a good natural cure for Gastric Ulcer or Stomach Ulcer as it is believed to provide a protective coating to the gastrointestinal lining.
• Prepare almond milk by blending about five blanched almonds and have this almond milk on a regular basis to cure the disease.
• Alternative therapies like yoga and aromatherapy also work as valuable Gastric Ulcer home remedies.
Diet for Gastric Ulcers
Dietary measures for dealing with Gastric Ulcer focus on healthy and balanced diet laying emphasis on foods that your body can digest easily. Consumption of butter and cream is useful in reducing the symptoms of this disease. Raw goat’s milk is also considered beneficial in this regard.
Include a variety of raw and boiled vegetables and fresh fruits in the diet. In addition, drink enough water and stay away from fried, spicy and packaged foods containing preservatives.
Apart from the home remedies for Gastric Ulcer, adequate changes in the diet and lifestyle such as reducing the consumption of alcohol, tea, coffee, carbonated beverages and abstaining from cigarette smoking can help reduce and avoid Gastric Ulcer to some extent.