What is Gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis is an infectious disease characterized by inflammation of the lining of the gastro intestinal tract consisting of the stomach and small and large intestines. The condition may be caused by infection due to virus, bacteria or parasites.
This contagious disease is usually not considered serious. Though, it may cause severe problems in infants, older individuals or individuals with low or suppressed immune system.
Its symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting should be controlled in time in order to avoid dehydration and other related complications. The disease and its symptoms can be cured with the help of a number of home remedies for Gastroenteritis natural treatment.
Causes and Symptoms of Gastroenteritis
Gastroenteritis or Stomach Flu is mostly caused by viruses like adenoviruses, rotaviruses, sapoviruses, parvoviruses or other viruses. The infection is generally spread through intake of contaminated foods or fluids or close contact with an infected individual through stool. Therefore, proper hygiene plays an essential role in preventing Gastroenteritis.
Bacterial infections caused by Staphylococcus Aureus, E. coli, Shigella, Salmonella etc may also cause the same. Parasites found in water, either drinking water or even water in a swimming pool may also cause symptoms of Gastroenteritis.
Food allergy, food poisoning, chemical toxins found in sea food, excessive alcohol consumption, stress, intestinal parasites and prolonged use of certain drugs like antibiotic or cortisone drugs may increase the risk of developing this disease.
Some common symptoms of Gastroenteritis are diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain, weakness and slight fever. In severe cases, the there may also be increased abdominal pain, abdominal swelling, high fever, blood in vomit or stool etc. The initial symptoms may become worse and cause dehydration.
Natural Home Remedies for Gastroenteritis
• Herbal teas, especially the ones prepared from blackberry root are regarded as excellent herbal home remedies for Gastroenteritis or stomach flu treatment. Garlic and thyme teas are also beneficial.
• Grapefruit is a highly beneficial Gastroenteritis natural remedy. Grapefruit seed extract can also be used for this purpose.
• Take a glass of boiled water and add a quarter teaspoon of baking soda in it. Next, take a glass of any citrus juice such as lemon, orange or pineapple and add some honey, rock salt and about half a teaspoon of corn syrup in it.
Slowly sip each of these mixtures alternatively to control and heal this ailment naturally at home. This is one of the most effective Gastroenteritis home remedies, especially for reducing initial symptoms.
• Application of warm compresses helps to get rid of Gastroenteritis related abdominal pain.
• Drinking a glass of water mixed with one teaspoon of clay every two hours is a valuable home remedy for Gastroenteritis.
• Having tea treated with campfire ash is one of the most useful natural cures for Gastroenteritis. Take this remdy for about two to three times in a day to relieve this problem and its related symptoms.
• Other alternative therapies such as acupressure, acupuncture and aromatherapy also help in the home treatment of Gastroenteritis.
Diet for Gastroenteritis
Dealing with Gastroenteritis calls for adequate fluid replacement in the body. This can be achieved by including more fruit juices, vegetable juices, rice water, barley water and vegetable broths in the diet. Salt and sugar can also be added in fruit juices to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance.
Plus, the basic diet should be kept simple and preferably limited to ripe Banana, Rice (boiled), Apple and Toast (BRAT) until the symptoms begin to improve. To avoid dehydration, drink plenty of water, about 8 to 12 glasses at regular intervals throughout the day and take adequate rest.
Besides, strictly avoid the consumption of spicy foods and animal fats whether in the form of milk or flesh foods. Although, milk should be avoided but it has been observed that the consumption of plain yogurt, being a probiotic is one of the most highly recommended natural home remedies for Gastroenteritis.
In addition, stay away from caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. Moreover, to avoid Gastroenteritis try to maintain proper personal hygiene and stay away from uncooked or stale foods.