What are Genital warts?
As the name suggests, Genital Warts are Warts or small flat bumps present in the genital area. These cauliflower-like small Warts may be so small in size that they may go undetected by the eyes. The human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually transmitted infection is the root cause of this highly contagious disease.
Genital Warts, also called Condyloma Acuminata, are mostly considered benign, though rarely they have been associated with serious diseases like cervical or anal cancer. Genital Warts usually grow on the outside and inside of the vagina, on the cervix, or around the anus in case of women. In men, they may occur on the tip of the penis, near the anus, or between the penis and the scrotum.
The location of these Genital Warts is very sensitive. Thus, it advisable not to use the over the counter chemical treatments used in case of Common Warts on the hands or feet. Being a viral infection, it is difficult to eliminate the cause of infection by any medicine. Only the symptoms can be dealt with and reduced to provide relief. A number of natural home remedies for Genital Warts, if used carefully, can be of great help in healing this problem.
Causes and Symptoms of Genital Warts
Skin to skin contact during sexual activity with an infected individual is the main factor responsible for the spread of this infectious disease. In this context, the use of condoms can help provide some protection thereby preventing Genital Warts to some extent. The Warts may take several weeks or months of latency period to manifest itself after the spread of infection.
Genital Warts may rarely develop on the mouth or throat due to oral sexual contact with an infected individual. The presence of other viral infections like HIV or Herpes increases the risk of developing this disease. Some other factors that contribute in causing this infection are stress, consumption of tobacco and alcohol, and sexual activity at an early age.
Generally, Genital Warts do not show any serious signs or symptoms. Although, in certain cases, symptoms like itching, increased moisture, increased vaginal discharge or abnormal bleeding may be present, depending on the severity of the disease and the level of immunity of the affected individual. Genital Warts, when visible may be present in the form of soft tiny flat or raised cauliflower like bumps, either individually or in clusters.
Natural Home Remedies for Genital Warts
• Applying milkweed sap is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Genital Warts since time immemorial. As the sap is quite strong and may burn on direct application, it can be mixed with any vitamin E containing cream and then applied.
• Simply sitting in a tub of warm water for about 10-15 minutes is a tried and tested natural remedy to reduce Genital Warts and the related symptoms.
• Vitamin E oil can be safely applied on the affected area to cure this embarrassing problem safely.
• Consumption of green tea and elderberry extract are valuable natural home remedies for Genital Warts. Unlike other topical remedies, these items are safe to use, but may take some time to heal the disease. Aloe vera also serves as a therapeutic home remedy to ease the uncomfortable symptoms.
• Apply apple cider vinegar with help of cotton balls and then taping the area before going to sleep is one of the most popular yet painful home remedies for Genital Warts treatment. The remdy should be discontinued as soon as any complications arise. Individuals with sensitive skin need not try this home remedy as it may burn the skin.
Diet for Genital Warts
While dealing with Genital Warts, a diet consisting of foods rich in beta carotene, folic acid and vitamin B is highly recommended. Green leafy vegetables, red vegetables and fruits, especially orange, mango, tomato radish etc are highly beneficial in this regard.
As the genital area is very sensitive, it is better to get rid of this problem by adopting a proper healthy diet and avoid using any topical treatments as far as possible. A healthy diet strengthens the immune system which in turn aids in reducing the viral infection and aiding in the process of Genital Warts removal. Plus, drink plenty of water and take garlic internally.
Plus, reduce the consumption of harmful foods like funk food and give up cigarette and alcohol for some time. The reason is that these foods weaken the immune system which is detrimental for the process of healing. Apart from these measures, it is essential to maintain proper hygiene to reduce the chances of aggravating this infectious disease. Needless to mention, avoid sexual contact till the disease is cured completely.