What is Gum Disease?
Gum Disease, also known as Periodontal Disease is a painful condition that often creates further troubles like receding gums and loose teeth. It is mostly caused by bacteria and eventually leads to the destruction of attachment fibers and bone that support teeth.
The disease tends to give rise to Gingivitis, a comparatively mild form of this condition. If not treated in time, Gum Disease can create further complications like recurring gum abscesses and even tooth loss. Hence, it is essential to heal this problem as soon as the symptoms start manifesting.
Although there are numerous over the counter medicines available to deal with this condition, there also exist a number of tried and tested home remedies for Gum Disease natural treatment.
These natural remedies not only reduce the discomfort associated with this ailment but also help in curing Gum Disease naturally. To remove the buildup of plaque and tartar, comprehensive teeth cleaning procedure may also be required.
Causes and Symptoms of Gum Disease
The accumulation of plaque and tartar containing bacteria causes Gum Disease. The bacteria release toxins which cause irritation and inflammation of the gums, ultimately giving rise to Gum Disease. Therefore, improper oral hygiene is the most important reason responsible for Gum Disease.
Diabetes, low immunity, malnutrition, stress, certain medications, certain viral and fungal infections, smoking, hormonal changes and a genetic predisposition are the most common factors that increase the risk of developing this problem. Older individuals are more likely to develop Gum Disease.
It has been observed that individuals suffering from recurring Periodontitis are more susceptible to heart disease and stroke due to chronic inflammation response.
In case of pregnant women, the presence of Gum Disease increases the chances of preterm births as Periodontitis is associated with increased levels of prostaglandin and other such chemicals that induce labor. However, more research is needed in this matter.
Initial signs and symptoms of Gum Disease are red, tender, swollen gums that tend to bleed easily. Issues like persistent bad breath, pus, bleeding gums, receding gums, loose teeth etc may also develop as the disease progresses.
Natural Home Remedies for Gum Disease
• Rinsing the mouth with lukewarm salt water is one of the best natural home remedies for Gum Disease. Follow this effective therapy on a regular basis several times in a day to get rid of bacteria.
• Applying a combination of lemon juice and salt is helpful in reducing gum infection and pain associated with this condition.
• Adding a few drops of tree oil on the toothbrush while brushing your teeth is another valuable natural cure for Gum Disease. You can also use tea tree oil gel toothpaste. In addition, when dealing with Gum Disease, make sure you choose a toothbrush with soft bristles and replace it after every three months.
• Applying a combination prepared from dry pomegranate seeds, pepper and salt is a highly beneficial Gum Disease home remedy. It is also useful in avoiding Gum Disease from spreading.
• Clove oil, sage oil, peppermint oil, caraway oil, Echinacea juice, myrrh tincture and other such herbs are regarded as valuable Gum Disease home remedies. Choose toothpastes or mouthwashes containing these natural remedies to get rid of Periodontal Disease. You can also add a few drops of these oils, especially clove oil, peppermint oil and sage oil in water and use it as a mouth rinse.
• Gum massage with any of these above mentioned essential oils is also an efficient way to heal this problem by improving circulation and making the gums healthy.
• Regular consumption of a mixture of spinach juice and carrot juice is useful in healing Gum Disease naturally at home.
• Simply chewing tender guava leaves is one of the easiest natural home remedies for Gum Disease and helps reduce gum bleeding and inflammation. Guava leaves have antibacterial properties that help cure Gum Disease effectively.
• Rubbing the inside of an orange peel on the gums provides relief from Gum Disease related swelling and bleeding.
• Honey can also be used on the gums for the home treatment of Gum Disease. Apply honey, preferably manuka honey on the gums for about 10 minutes, rinse with water and then brush the teeth.
• Prepare a paste by adding some warm water in baking soda and rub it on the gum line to remove bacteria and ease Gum Disease. However, do not overdo this procedure.
Diet for Gum Disease
To prevent and control Gum Disease, it is recommended to embark on a healthy and balanced diet, with special emphasis on a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts and calcium-rich foods like milk and dairy products. Consuming ginger, garlic, onion, cabbage, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, almonds, walnuts, cranberry juice, green tea is also beneficial.
Intake of vitamin C rich fruits such as orange, guava, Indian gooseberry, grapefruit, lime, lemon etc is useful in healing the disease. Apples contain essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus etc, thus, they should also be included in the diet.
In addition, practice good oral hygiene, avoid smoking, restrict the consumption of items containing refined sugars and visit your dentist regularly to prevent Gum Disease apart from following the dietary suggestions and natural home remedies for Gum Disease.
Leave a Reply