What are Head Lice?
Head Lice is one of the most common and frustrating health issues in small children that can be safely cured with regular use of several home remedies for Head Lice natural treatment. Being a contagious condition, effective Head Lice treatment should also take into consideration, certain essential preventive measures.
Basically, Head Lice are tiny, wingless parasites that live among human hair and feed on blood drawn from the scalp. In some cases lice may also be present on eyebrows and Head Lice infestation is most common among children aged 3 to 12 years.
Nonetheless, it may also be affect adults. The presence of Head Lice is not a dangerous condition but it can be quite irritating because of the severe itchiness caused by their bites.
The typical life cycle of a head louse is characterized by three stages, nit, nymph and finally louse. Lice eggs are called nits and they are similar to dandruff in appearance. These oval and yellow to white colored eggs hatch in about a week’s time, giving rise to nymphs.
These baby lice, though smaller in size are similar to adult lice in appearance. They mature to become adult lice within one week. A fully grown adult louse with six legs is tan to greyish white in color and tiny in size.
It usually lives on the host’s scalp for about one month and then dies. However, it tends to die within two days when it falls from the head and fails to find another host.
Causes and Symptoms of Head Lice
Head Lice is a highly contagious ailment that mostly spreads through close contact with an individual suffering from Head Lice Infestation. Moreover, sharing personal belongings of an affected individual also increases the risk of developing this annoying condition.
Personal belongings include objects like combs, hats, scarves, towels, pillows, blankets, stuffed toys. Similarly coming in close contact with contaminated beds or closets may also result in the same. The disease cannot be spread through other animals.
Intense itching resulting from lice bites is the most significant symptom of Head Lice infestation. Repeated itching and scratching further give rise to other problems like swollen nymph nodes around the neck or the formation of small, red crusty bumps on the scalp, at times extending up to neck and shoulders. It may also cause Dermatitis.
Natural Home Remedies for Head Lice
• Rinsing the hair with a mixture of vinegar and water is one of the best home remedies for Head Lice and nits. To prepare this home remedy, take vinegar and water in a ratio of 1:2.
Wait for ten minutes and then comb the hair thoroughly with a nit comb to remove Head Lice. Continue this therapy twice a week until the problem is cured.
• Vinegar can also be used in combination with lemon juice and garlic paste to cure Head Lice naturally. For this, take three to four tablespoons of vinegar, two tablespoons of lemon juice and some garlic.
Mix them and apply on the scalp. Finally, wash the hair after about two hours. Follow this remdy three to four times in a month to get rid of Head Lice infestation at home.
• Soak 10-12 almonds overnight and grind them in the morning. Next, add three to four tablespoons of lemon juice in it and apply the mixture on the scalp for about one or two hours. Finally, wash it off with cold water. This is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Head Lice removal.
• Massage the scalp with small pieces of apple for about 20 minutes or half an hour to eliminate Head Lice naturally at home. Continue this natural therapy for about three days to get encouraging results.
• Application of custard apple powder or paste on the scalp overnight is one of the most useful Head Lice natural remedies. Grind the fruit along with its seeds to prepare its powder.
• Basil and margosa leaves serve as excellent Head Lice home remedies. The leaves can be crushed to form a paste and then applied on the scalp for about half an hour to heal the ailment. Basil and margosa (neem) leaves can either be used separately or collectively.
• Massage the scalp with onion juice for about 3-4 hours and finally wash the hair to help remove Head Lice. Follow this Head Lice home treatment for at least three days.
• Application of olive oil on the scalp overnight is also regarded as a valuable natural remedy for Head Lice. Apply this remedy after every ten days to kill Head Lice successfully. Mayonnaise oil, coconut oil and tea tree oil are also beneficial in this regard.
Application of kerosene oil on the scalp is one of the most dangerous home remedies for Head Lice prevention and cure. Hence, this remedy is usually not suggested for Head Lice treatment, especially in case of small children.
Diet for Head Lice
There is no particular diet recommended for dealing with Head Lice. However, Head Lice can be prevented and controlled by avoiding close contact with affected individuals and their personal belongings. Head Lice Treatments should be followed on a regular basis in order to remove Head Lice and nits effectively.
Resor I Europa says
great stuff 😛 really liked this article, i will read a bit more in your blog soon after im finished with my work! 😛