What is Heartburn during Pregnancy?
Heartburn during pregnancy is a miserable but harmless problem that causes burning sensation in chest and throat. It is triggered by hormonal changes taking place during pregnancy. The problem is more common in the second and third trimesters.
Pregnancy Heartburn or Acid Indigestion is also caused by growing size of the uterus. As women can experience considerable discomfort because of this problem, it would be better to control it with the help of a number of natural home remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy.
Tips like avoiding extremely spicy foods and eating frequent but smaller meals rather than few heavy meals are also beneficial in reducing Pregnancy Heartburn.
Causes and Symptoms of Heartburn during Pregnancy
During pregnancy, the body produces high levels of progesterone hormone. Ideally, this helps relax muscles in the uterus so that it can stretch and accommodate the growing fetus. However, it also relaxes muscles in the digestive tract and the muscular valve between stomach and esophagus that is normally tightly closed.
This, in turn, allows stomach acids to reflux back up into the esophagus, thereby causing heartburn. Moreover, as stages of pregnancy advance, growing size of the baby in uterus increases pressure on the stomach and intestines which also pushes stomach contents back up into the esophagus. Emotional stress tends to worsen the problem.
As the name suggests, Heartburn during Pregnancy causes burning sensation in center of the chest or lower throat. Some pregnant women may also experience it as an uncomfortable large lump in throat or upper chest. Other symptoms include acidic or sour taste in mouth, bloating, indigestion and other gastrointestinal discomforts.
Natural Home Remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy
• Chewing gums (preferably sugarless) after meals is one of the simplest natural home remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy as it helps neutralize stomach acids.
• Having a glass of milk mixed with a tablespoon of honey is a highly beneficial natural cure for Heartburn during Pregnancy. Yogurt is also useful in Pregnancy Heartburn home treatment.
• Consuming ice cream is another effective home remedy for the natural treatment of Heartburn during Pregnancy.
• Taking a combination of slippery elm powder and honey is helpful in relieving Heartburn during Pregnancy. You may steep two tablespoons of the powder in two cups of boiling water for about 5 minutes and then add honey in the solution.
Alternatively, slippery elm lozenges can also be used. The herb cures acid indigestion by absorbing excess acid and reducing inflammation of lining of the gastrointestinal tract.
• Chewing a few basil leaves can help considerably in managing Heartburn during Pregnancy.
• Ginger tea or a combination of ginger root and honey are also considered as valuable natural home remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy and other digestive problems. You can have ginger about half an hour before a meal to avoid Heartburn.
• Drinking fennel seed tea after meals is a therapeutic herbal solution that helps control Pregnancy Heartburn and relieves indigestion. Nonetheless, pregnant women should not consume fennel in excess. To follow this therapy, add 2-3 teaspoons of crushed fennel seeds in a cup of water and boil the mixture for about 10 minutes.
• Taking a cup of warm water mixed with one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey is a popular natural remedy for Heartburn during Pregnancy.
• Another useful tip for reducing Heartburn during Pregnancy is to keep your head elevated while sleeping. In addition, it has been observed that sleeping on left side aids in digestion. Besides, do not lie down immediately after having a meal.
• Eating fresh apples is one of the best natural home remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy.
Diet for Heartburn during Pregnancy
The best way to reduce and avoid Heartburn during Pregnancy is to stay away from foods and beverages that trigger this problem. Some such items are tea, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, carbonated beverages, fried, fatty, spicy, highly seasoned foods, hot sauces and so on. As cigarette smoking encourages acidity, try to quit smoking.
Restrict the consumption of tomato, vinegar, mustard, orange, grapefruit, mint products and other such acidic and citrus foods as well. It is suggested that you include a variety of fresh green and leafy vegetables in the diet.
Having whole grain foods, almonds and cold milk are also beneficial. When having a meal, try to eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly. Moreover, drink adequate amount of water throughout the day at regular intervals.
Besides, when dealing with Pregnancy Heartburn, avoid having large meals, do not drink lots of fluids during meals, take dinner at least 2-3 hours before bed time, wear loose, comfortable clothes and heal the problem by following the above mentioned natural home remedies for Heartburn during Pregnancy.
Leave a Reply