What is Herpes?
Herpes is a virus that gives rise to problems like fever blisters or cold sores, genital herpes, Herpes Whitlow etc. Some common types of Herpes virus include Herpes Simplex 1, Herpes Simplex 2, Herpes Zoster, etc. It is a highly infectious disease.
The disease may or may not produce any noticeable symptoms or discomfort. In fact, in most of the cases, individuals infected with this virus are not even aware of the condition because of the absence of symptoms. However, the symptoms, when manifested during the first Herpes outbreak, can be quite severe and may last for about two to three weeks.
As the virus tends to remain in the nerve cells of the body throughout life, outbreaks of Herpes tend to recur from time to time but are unpredictable.
Presently, there is no cure for Herpes. Still, a number of conventional as well as natural home remedies for Herpes outbreaks are highly beneficial in dealing with this problem to a great extent. Generally, Herpes sores heal without leaving behind any scars.
Causes of Herpes
As already mentioned, there are various types of Herpes virus that cause different types of Herpes outbreaks and sores. Herpes Simplex virus 1 is usually held responsible for causing problems like fever blisters whereas infection by Herpes Simplex Virus 2 leads to Genital Herpes.
Plus, Herpes Zoster virus leads to conditions like Chicken Pox and Shingles. Epstein Barr virus causes Epstein Barr disease. Herpes infection is spread either through mucus membranes or through small openings on the skin.
Moist areas of the body such as the eyes, mouth, anus, vulva etc are more at risk of developing such problems. Oral herpes can be spread through kissing or oral sex. Herpes outbreaks are more common during conditions like stress, cold, fever etc. when the immune system is weak.
Symptoms of Herpes Outbreaks
The symptoms, if any, mostly develop within two to twenty days after coming in contact with Herpes virus. Fever blisters caused by Herpes virus are characterized by sores around the teeth and gums. Genital herpes, the name suggests causes the development of sores around the genital area.
Herpes Whitlow leads to formation of painful lesions on the thumb, nails, toes or other nail cuticles. Other symptoms of primary Herpes infection are itching, swelling in the lymph glands, muscle pains, nausea, headache and other flu-like symptoms.
Natural Home Remedies for Herpes
• Bee products, aloe vera, Echinacea, Siberian Ginseng, Licorice and other similar herbs are regarded as excellent natural home remedies for Herpes Simplex.
• Simply applying ice packs is highly beneficial in reducing Herpes pain to a great extent.
• Soak a cotton ball in water, put some baking soda on it and finally put this cotton ball on the affected area to cure this problem. Follow this Herpes home treatment for regularly for some time by using fresh cotton balls every time.
• Applying black tea bags on the affected area is one of the best home remedies for Herpes sores. Black tea leaves have therapeutic anti inflammatory and antiviral properties.
• Soaking in lukewarm water mixed with colloidal oatmeal or cornstarch is another valuable Herpes home remedy. This natural remedy helps to relieve itching of the sores considerably.
• Applying carrot extract on the affected area by keeping grated carrots wrapped in a cloth helps in relieving Herpes sores related swelling and pain considerably.
• Grapefruit seed extract, manuka honey, olive, oil, olive leaf extract, marshmallow roots, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil and lavender oil are useful natural remedies for Herpes outbreaks as they tend to facilitate the process of healing.
• Prepare a mixture by heating a cup of olive oil mixed with some lavender oil and bee wax for about 10-15 minutes. Apply poultice on the affected area when it cools to get rid of Herpes outbreaks at home.
• Garlic is considered as one of the most effective Herpes home remedies. It can be taken internally as well as externally. Taking garlic pills is also considered beneficial in the natural treatment of Herpes outbreaks. Similarly oil of oregano helps to heal Herpes sores inflammation.
• Having herbal teas like peppermint tea, chamomile tea, black tea are highly beneficial in curing Herpes naturally by soothing the body and reducing symptoms like pain and fever.
• Applying a mixture of five drops of eucalyptus oil and the same amount of bergamot oil is useful in healing Herpes sores.
Diet for Herpes
A healthy diet rich in essential vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc, iron and lysine is highly recommended for dealing with Herpes outbreaks.
Therefore, positively include foods like apples, mangoes, apricots, figs, papayas, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, beetroot, sprouts, dairy products and other fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet. The diet should be aimed at strengthening the immune system so as to avoid Herpes flare ups in the future.
In addition, reduce the consumption of junk foods and foods high in sugars. However, having herbal teas and adopting alternative therapies such as yoga help to reduce the chances of developing the flare ups by keeping the body and mind healthy and hence serve as effective home remedies for Herpes.