What is Hyperacidity and Heartburn?
The gastric glands present in the stomach produce various stomach acids that aid in the process of digestion. At times, the production of these acids, particularly hydrochloric acid increases beyond the normal level and causes Hyperacidity. This Hyperacidity, in turn, causes irritation in the lining of the unprotected esophagus and causes Heartburn.
Hyperacidity and Heartburn are caused by irregular and stressful lifestyle coupled with an unhealthy and erratic diet. The modern stressful lifestyle and stress on acidic food items like carbonated and alcoholic beverages encourage excess production of stomach acids thereby leading to these common stomach ailments.
Moreover, prolonged Hyperacidity and Heartburn in turn, give rise to various other gastrointestinal problems. In fact, Heartburn is one of the most important symptoms of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). Hyperacidity is also known as Acid Dyspepsia, Acid Reflux or Acid Indigestion.
The over the counter medicines like antacids used for the treatment of Hyperacidity and Heartburn only provide temporary relief by suppressing the symptoms. On the other hand, the natural treatment consisting of dietary and lifestyle changes along with a number of natural cures and home remedies for Hyperacidity and Heartburn help to cure these conditions in a holistic manner.
Causes and Symptoms of Hyperacidity and Heartburn
As already mentioned Hyperacidity is caused by over secretion of hydrochloric acid in the gastrointestinal cavity. When this acid travels up to the esophagus or the food pipe then it may cause Heartburn characterized by chest pain and discomfort. These ailments are commonly caused by excessive consumption of oily, spicy and highly seasoned foods.
Obesity, pregnancy, stress, anxiety, not eating on the right time and going to bed immediately after having a heavy meal may also give rise to these problems. Besides, cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption tend to increase the risk of developing Hyperacidity and Heartburn.
Intake of certain medicines, especially anti inflammatory drugs may also result in the same. Conditions like Stomach Ulcers, Spinal lesions and Stomach Cancers can also be held responsible for causing these troubles.
Loss of appetite, nausea, restlessness, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, abdominal pain, flatulence, belching and the presence of a sour taste in the mouth are some of the most common symptoms of Hyperacidity and Heartburn. The most significant symptom of Heartburn is the presence of a burning sensation and pain in the chest, especially one to four hours after eating. This chest discomfort is at times mistaken for cardiac illness.
Natural Home Remedies for Hyperacidity and Heartburn
• Regular intake of a mixture of thinned buttermilk and pepper powder is one of the most effective natural home remedies for Hyperacidity and Heartburn.
• Having a combination of ginger juice and honey serves as a good natural cure for Hyperacidity and Heartburn. Take this mixture after meals in order to control these digestive problems.
• Consumption of chilled milk (preferably skimmed) is one of the most highly recommended Hyperacidity and Heartburn home remedies. Small amounts of chilled milk should be taken at regular intervals two to three times throughout the day to get rid of these problems naturally.
• Drinking fresh pineapple juice after having meals is a highly beneficial natural remdy used to reduce Hyperacidity and Heartburn. In the same way, having sweet lemon juice before meals is also a good home remedy to heal these ailments.
• Boil two liters of water with a teaspoon of cumin seeds in it. Then, strain and drink this solution. This is one of the most valuable natural home remedies for Hyperacidity and Heartburn treatment.
• Herbal teas like green tea, cinnamon tea, peppermint tea, chamomile tea etc are therapeutic natural remedies for treating such ailments at home.
• Simply chewing basil leaves is one of the most popular and equally effective Hyperacidity and Heartburn home remedies. Chewing almonds is also beneficial in the treatment of Heartburn because almonds because of their high oil content.
Diet for Hyperacidity and Heartburn
Cold water is highly beneficial in dealing with Hyperacidity and Heartburn. In fact, it can help prevent Heartburn to a great extent if taken right at the onset of the symptoms. Mint juice is also beneficial in this regard.
A healthy and balanced diet with special emphasis on high fiber foods helps to reduce these complaints greatly as they tend to absorb the excess stomach acids. Cucumbers, bananas and watermelons should be positively included in the diet to eliminate these problems. Papaya and apples also help to ease these troubles in a natural way.
It has been observed that sucking a small piece of jaggery is useful in relieving Hyperacidity and Heartburn without any trouble. Apart from these measures, try to adopt certain preventive measures as well. For instance, try to avoid strong, pungent and sour foods when suffering from Hyperacidity and Heartburn. Garlic, onion, radish, citrus fruits and spicy foods are some such foods.
Plus, restrict the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Hot beverages like tea and coffee also tend to worsen these complaints. Cigarette smoking should also be avoided as far as possible. Moreover, do not go to sleep immediately after having a meal. Faulty eating habits like having large meals in one go instead of having small meals at regular intervals should also be altered. Also, do not skip meals altogether.