What is Influenza?
Influenza or Flu is a common respiratory viral infection mostly occurring in the bronchi, nose, throat, or even the lungs. This highly contagious viral infection is usually spread through airborne transmission. It generally lasts for about one or two weeks and then subsides even without any treatment.
Influenza and Common cold are often confused with each other as they tend to have similar symptoms such as cough, sore throat, body ache etc. But, Influenza is relatively more serious than Common Cold and is caused by a different type of virus. This disease is more troublesome in case of infants, older individuals and individuals suffering from chronic illnesses.
As this disease is caused by viral infection, it can not be cured by antibacterial drugs. Therefore, most of the treatments focus on reducing the symptoms caused by Influenza. Natural home remedies for Influenza accompanied by adequate amount of rest have also been proven beneficial in curing Influenza safely and naturally. Influenza vaccines are also useful in controlling this disease effectively.
Causes and Symptoms of Influenza
Influenza virus is of three types, that is type A, type B and type C. Out of these type A is the most common as well as dangerous type of Influenza virus mass epidemics of this disease every 10 to 40 years. H1N1 Swine Flu is the most recent example of this type of Influenza causing mass outbreak. Type B viruses have been correlated with the spread of local or regional outbreaks.
The less common type C Influenza virus, on the other hand, is associated with mild illnesses with or without any significant symptoms. The Influenza viral can mutate into different forms. Hence it is difficult to develop natural immunity against such variety of combinations. The infection is generally spread through tiny droplets that are dispersed in air when an affected individual coughs or sneezes.
Hence, an uninfected individual tends to develop the infection after coming in contact with these droplets either directly or indirectly through the objects contaminated by them. Individuals with weak immunity are more likely to be affected by Influenza virus due to low body resistance. Pregnant women are more at risk of contracting this disease.
Common symptoms of Influenza are fever, chills, headache, muscle ache, runny nose, nasal congestion, dry coughing, sneezing, sore throat, loss of appetite, lethargy. It may also cause vomiting and diarrhea in case of infants. The symptoms start to develop one to three days after contracting the virus. In severe cases, Influenza or flu may also affect the heart or the brain by causing conditions like Myocarditis or Encephalitis.
Natural home Remedies for Influenza
• Boil half liter of water mixed with one gram of basil leaves and some ginger. Continue boiling until the quantity reduces to half the original amount. Drinking this basil decoction on a regular basis is one of the most trusted natural home remedies for Influenza treatment.
• Prepare a fenugreek decoction by boiling half a liter of water mixed with one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds until one third of the original quantity remains. Then, add some honey and a teaspoon of ginger juice in it. Have this natural remedy to help reduce Influenza related fever.
• Another therapeutic decoction can be prepared by taking thirty grams of ginger, ten grams of cloves, one gram of cinnamon powder and boiling them in a cup of water for about 15 minutes. Small amounts of this solution should be taken after every three hours to reduce this problem.
• Having three or four teaspoons of a combination of onion juice and honey, taken in equal parts, is one of the most therapeutic Influenza home remedies.
Follow this home remedy on a daily basis to cure Influenza effectively. This mixture can also be mixed in warm water and taken once or twice per day as a natural Influenza cure.
• Add some turmeric in a cup of warm milk and consume this mixture three times per day to get rid of Influenza by facilitating the process of healing.
• Take one teaspoon of ginger juice, two teaspoons of honey and half a teaspoon of long pepper powder. Add these ingredients and take the resultant mixture three times in a day. This is one of the most successful natural home remedies for Influenza.
• Mix one teaspoon of grated ginger, one teaspoon of bayberry bark and half a teaspoon of cayenne powder in a cup of boiling water and leave it for about 20 minutes. Taking this valuable remedy is highly beneficial in the natural home treatment of Influenza.
Diet for Influenza
When dealing with Influenza, it is necessary to have a strong immune system to resist viral infection. Therefore, foods rich in vitamins and minerals, particularly, vitamin C and zinc should be definitely included in the diet to prevent as well as cure this disease.
Ginger and garlic are the most valuable Influenza home remedies in this regard. Having herbal teas prepared from these ingredients is the simplest way to incorporate these ingredients in the diet. Consumption of juice extracted from grapefruits is also beneficial in relieving Influenza symptoms to a great extent.
Warm vegetable soups and broths are also healthy. The affected individual should drink plenty of water throughout the day to avoid dehydration. Besides, restrict the consumption of highly seasoned meat foods to avoid aggravation of the symptoms. In addition, reduce the consumption of spicy foods, especially the ones prepared from refined flour.
Leave a Reply