What is Itchy Scalp?
Itchy Scalp is quite an irritating problem that can be caused by a variety of reasons like dandruff, dermatitis, dry scalp, lice infestation etc. The condition can be contagious when caused by certain skin diseases or infections.
Steps like washing the hair regularly to avoid the buildup of dirt and oils on the scalp, avoiding excessive use of chemical products, and using a number of home remedies for Itchy Scalp natural treatment help in providing relief from this problem effectively.
Causes and Symptoms of Itchy Scalp
Seborrheic dermatitis, also referred to as dandruff or cradle cap in case of children, is one of the most common causes of Itchy Scalp. Skin conditions like Contact Dermatitis, Scalp Psoriasis, Ringworm of scalp, Folliculitis and other fungal and bacterial infections may also affect the scalp and cause itching.
The presence of head lice too may cause intense itching on the scalp. Besides, factors like dry scalp, inadequate hygiene, overuse of chemical hair care products, scalp sunburn and stress tend to increase the risk of developing this problem.
Scalp irritation, redness, pain and itching are the primary symptoms of Itchy Scalp. The condition may also be characterized by the presence of pus filled bumps on the scalp and area behind the ears. Scratching the Itchy Scalp persistently may further lead to scaling of the skin, swelling and hair loss.
Natural Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
• Lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, avocado oil and German chamomile oil are excellent natural home remedies for Itchy Scalp. Mix these oils in equal proportions and, add some water and finally apply the resultant mixture to heal Itchy Scalp in a natural way.
• Application of olive oil, margosa oil, coconut oil and tea tree oil is also beneficial in Itchy Scalp home treatment. In this regard, a combination of olive oil and almond is regarded as a therapeutic natural remedy for Itchy Scalp caused by dandruff.
• Boil a mixture of three bags of chamomile tea and about three sprigs of rosemary (chopped). Then, cool and strain the mixture. Finally, rinse the hair with this solution to cure Itchy Scalp naturally at home. Alternatively, a combination of crushed rosemary leaves and chamomile oil can also be used.
• Lemon juice is also considered good for hair. Thus, simply rubbing some lemon juice on the scalp and rinsing the hair after a few minutes is one of the most effective Itchy Scalp home remedies.
• Add two drops of peppermint oil in a cup of water and massage the scalp gently with this solution for a few minutes. Finally, wash the hair to relieve Itchy Scalp due to dryness. Similarly, warm jojoba oil is useful in moisturizing the scalp and hence easing and soothing Itchy Scalp due to dryness.
• Applying aloe vera gel on the scalp for about ten to fifteen minutes and then washing it off is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Itchy Scalp.
• Massaging the scalp with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water is another natural cure for reducing Itchy Scalp considerably. To prepare this home remedy, mix one part of apple cider vinegar in four parts of warm water.
• Simply combing the hair about 5-6 times before bed time is useful in improving blood circulation in the scalp and getting rid of scalp problems.
• Baking soda is considered highly beneficial for easing and reducing Itchy Scalp. For this, apply a paste prepared by adding some water in baking powder on the scalp for about half and hour and then wash it off. It would be better to apply some extra virgin olive oil on the scalp and hair before using this remedy.
Diet for Itchy Scalp
When dealing with Itchy Scalp, it is recommended to have judicious amounts of foods rich in vitamin B, vitamin C, zinc and iron. Spinach, lettuce, pulses and other such vegetables, seeds and nuts rich in proteins are also beneficial for the scalp and hair. Plus, consume adequate amount of dairy products, especially yogurt.
Besides, choose hair care products wisely. While choosing a shampoo, opt for a shampoo with a pH between 4.5 and 5.5. Moreover, in case of fungal infections, choose a natural shampoo with anti fungal properties.
Keeping these tips and suggestions in mind and following the natural home remedies for Itchy Scalp are not only useful in alleviating this problem but also beneficial in preventing loss of hair.