What is Jet Lag?
Jet Lag is an extrinsic circadian rhythm sleep disorder that causes disruption in the internal body clock of individuals traveling across several time zones. This temporary disorder causes symptoms like insomnia, fatigue, headache and several other symptoms. In medical terms, Leg Lag is known as Desynchronosis.
The rapid transitions across multiple time zones are more troublesome in case of long haul journeys. It usually takes about one day to adjust to each time zone crossed. Jet Lag symptoms can be adequately treated and healed at home by adopting several home remedies for Jet Lag natural treatment.
Moreover, individuals should also take appropriate preventive measures in order to avoid Jet Lag as far as possible. For example, breathing through a warm moist towel during the flight is an effective way of dealing with dehydration caused due to the presence of dry air in airplane cabins.
Causes and Symptoms of Jet Lag
Temperature, sunlight, sleeping habits and other similar factor affect the normal body clock of an individual. Changes in these factors as well as dehydration and low humidity at higher elevation can be held responsible for causing Jet Lag.
Individuals tend to develop more severe Jet Lag when they travel eastwards than westwards. Apart from the irregular fliers, even the seasoned fliers and flight attendants are also prone to this condition. Jet Lag is usually caused on crossing more than one or two time zones.
Nausea, insomnia, disorientation, headache, body ache, loss of appetite, indigestion, constipation, swollen limbs and eyes, irritability, palpitation, loss of concentration, anxiety and lethargy are some common symptoms of Jet Lag. This extrinsic sleeping disorder may either cause sleeplessness or over sleepiness.
Natural Home Remedies for Jet Lag
- Having half a cup of water mixed with a few drops of rosemary oil is one of the most highly recommended Jet Lag home remedies. In addition, have some valerian tea a few hours after having the rosemary decoction.
- Rubbing some warm sesame oil on the scalp and soles of the feet is a simple yet effective natural remedy for Jet Lag home treatment.
- Epsom salt baths help to cure Jet Lag related symptoms of fatigue and lethargy.
- In the flight, do some light stretching exercises and keep moving the body from time to time to keep the body active and energetic and hence reduce Jet Lag symptoms to a great extent.
- Soothing and therapeutic herbal teas like chamomile tea, peppermint tea etc serve as excellent natural home remedies for Jet Lag as they tend to calm the nerves and help the body cope with the change.
- Consuming a combination of one cup warm milk mixed with a pinch of nutmeg and ginger works as an efficient natural cure for Jet Lag.
- Aromatherapy, acupuncture and yoga are considered as highly beneficial natural home remedies for Jet Lag.
Apart from these natural remedies, prepare the body to adapt to the destination time zone in advance. For instance, when traveling eastwards, sleep and wake up about an hour earlier than the normal schedule time. Continue this process for a few days prior to the travel. Similarly, do vice versa in case of westwards travels.
Another effective home remedy for dealing with Jet Lag is to avoid long naps right after reaching the destination. Instead, spend dome time in the sunshine to help stimulate the biological clock naturally.
Diet for Jet Lag
Taking plenty rest, exercise and following a healthy diet before Jet Lag is the most basic remedial way of avoiding Jet Lag related symptoms to some extent. Drink adequate amount of water and stay away from alcoholic and caffeinated beverages in order to avoid dehydration and sleep related disruptions.
Having milk, cottage cheese, peanuts, brown rice and soy products help in keeping the body calm. Try to avoid eating gas inducing foods as they can contribute in causing more intestinal gas at higher altitudes.
Instead, try to have more vitamin C as it helps to reduce the strain caused by high altitudes. Moreover, go for more easily digestible foods rather than heavy and spicy foods that can worsen the symptoms.
Keep in mind that a high protein diet helps to increase alertness whereas a high carbohydrate diet helps to induce sleep. After reaching the destination try to adjust to the new meal times by having smaller meals in the beginning.