What are Keloids?
Keloids or Keloid Scars are abnormal growths of fibrous scar tissues on the skin resulting from aggressive healing process of certain wounds. Shoulders, chest and back are the most common sites of this disease. Keloids are more common in individuals with darker skin tone.
These irregular scars can develop after surgeries or even after minor skin injuries like insect bites. Keloid is a troublesome but not malignant disease.
This progressive disease can develop either suddenly after an injury or after a few months. Keloids can be cured with the help of several safe and natural home remedies for Keloids home treatment.
The conventional treatment of Keloids, on the other hand consists of procedures like cryotherapy, radiosurgery and other such procedures. However, these procedures have their own risks. Plus, the problem may also recur even after such treatments.
Causes and Symptoms of Keloids
The exact cause of formation of Keloids is still not known. Dark skinned individuals with higher amounts of melanin are more susceptible to Keloids.
Certain hereditary factors can also be held responsible for causing this disease. Formation of Keloid Scars generally takes place on sites of wounds or skin injuries caused by burns, surgical cuts, traumatic wounds, minor scratches, ear piercing, chicken pox, acne etc.
Keloids are characterized by irregular shaped and flesh colored overgrown scars on the surface of the skin. These hard and thickened growths can be itchy and uncomfortable. Unlike Hypertrophic scars, Keloids are more heaped up and larger in size.
Natural Home Remedies for Keloids
• Applying a paste prepared from sandalwood powder and rose water is one of the most highly recommended therapeutic home remedies for Keloids prevention and treatment. Apply this paste overnight on the affected area to get rid of Keloid scars effectively.
• Sandalwood can also be used in combination with black gram to cure Keloids naturally. For this, prepare a mixture of sandalwood powder and black gram and apply it on Keloid scars overnight. Follow this home remedy on a regular basis to reduce the problem.
• Take one tablespoon of fuller’s earth and one teaspoon each of rose water and lime juice. Mix these ingredients well to form a paste. Next, massage the affected area with this mixture.
Finally, apply another layer of this paste when the previous layer dries and leave it for about 10 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
When followed on a regular basis, this remdy can prove to be one of the most effective natural home remedies for Keloids on chest or any other part of the body. The action of massaging helps to soften the scars thereby healing the scars.
• Simply rubbing lemon juice or honey on the affected area helps in removing Keloids and Keloid scars to a great extent.
• Application of apple cider vinegar is one of the simplest Keloids home remedies. In case of sensitive skin, apple cider vinegar should be diluted with water and then used.
• Crushed garlic cloves or garlic oil can also be applied on the affected area to cure this problem naturally at home. However, this Keloids natural remedy should be discontinued in case it causes any burning sensation.
• Application of aloe vera gel and dilute tea tree oil are considered as highly beneficial Keloids home remedies. Coconut oil, lavender oil and lavender oil are also beneficial in fading Keloid scars, especially the ones caused by Acne.
• Other herbal remdies for Keloids’ natural treatment include calendula oil, St John’s Wort, comfrey root extract etc.
Diet for Keloids
The diet for reducing Keloids should be aimed at making the skin healthy and facilitating the process of healing. Hence, the diet should positively include foods rich in vitamin C and vitamin E.
Vitamin C, in particular is useful in restoring the normal level of collagen and connective tissues in the body, thereby helping in relieving this problem. Hence, taking judicious amounts of citrus fruits like orange, lemon and sweet lime is highly beneficial in healing Keloid scars.
Moreover, follow the natural remedies and massage the area with vitamin E oils on a regular basis get encouraging results. When dealing with Keloids, it has been observed that older Keloid scars are often more difficult to remove as compared to the newer ones.