What is Kidney Infection?
As the name suggests, Kidney Infection is an infection of the kidneys, mostly caused by bacteria. Kidney is an important organ present in the urinary system of the body. More often than not, an infection in the upper urinary tract usually spreads further and causes infection in the kidneys as well. This disease is more common in women as compared to men.
In cases of acute Kidney Infections, the symptoms tend to appear suddenly with greater severity. Chronic Kidney Infections, on the other hand develop slowly over a period of time, become progressively worse and often lead to Kidney Failure.
Kidney Infection is also known as Pyelonephritis in medical terms. When left untreated, Kidney Infections can give rise to other serious problems such as Blood Poisoning, Kidney Failure and related fatal conditions.
The treatment mostly consists of the intake of antibiotics. However, this conventional treatment can also be supplemented with home treatment consisting of several natural home remedies for Kidney Infection.
Causes and Symptoms of Kidney Infection
Kidney Infection or Pyelonephritis is a specific type of upper Urinary Tract Infection that is mostly caused by bacterial infection. Urinary Tract Infections generally begin in the urethra and gradually travels up to the ureters and kidneys.
Under normal circumstances, the flow of urine prevents the infection from moving up the urinary tract.
Although, at times certain conditions like kidney stones, enlarged prostrate glands or other structural abnormalities tend to obstruct the physical flow of the urine thereby increasing the risk of developing Kidney Infection.
Similarly, diabetes, pregnancy, cancer, use of urinary catheters and other such factors may also increase the chances of developing this disease.
The most important symptom of Kidney Infection is a persistent urge to urinate. Urination is mostly accompanied by a burning sensation.
Other symptoms include problems like abdominal pain (on the side), lower back pain, frequent urination, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting and a general feeling of lethargy and discomfort. Severe cases may also be characterized by the presence of pus or blood in the urine.
Natural Home Remedies for Kidney Infection
• Herbs like uva ursi, cornsilk, parsley, juniper berry, alfalfa, echinacea, goldenseal, Oregon graperoot etc are regarded as efficient therapeutic home remedies for Kidney Infection natural treatment.
• Consumption of pure, unsweetened cranberry juice is one of the most popular Kidney Infection home remedies. Although, do not follow this remdy for a long time as excessive consumption of cranberry is not considered healthy.
• Having a mixture of half a teaspoon of baking soda and eight ounces of water acts as an effective natural cure for Kidney Infection.
• Taking aloe vera juice or lemon juice mixed with warm water is also useful in healing this disease naturally at home.
• Green tea, blueberry tea and similar other herbal teas are also considered as highly beneficial natural home remedies for Kidney Infections.
• Hot water baths or bubble baths help in reducing Kidney Infection related abdominal pains. Heating pads can also be used to ease the pains. Aromatherapy is also beneficial in dealing with Kidney Infection related symptoms.
Diet for Kidney Infection
Along with the natural remedies, taking a diet rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E rich foods is highly beneficial in healing Kidney Infections to a great extent. Vitamin C, in particular helps to strengthen the immune system thereby helping in preventing as well as curing the infection.
Therefore, include cucumber, asparagus, celery, legumes and a variety of other fruits, vegetables and whole grains in the diet. Plus, positively include natural antibiotic foods like garlic, ginger and yogurt in the diet.
Moreover, drink adequate amount of fluids, especially water throughout the day at regular intervals in order to flush out the toxins and cleanse the body.
Besides, stay away from strong alcoholic, caffeinated and carbonated beverages. Also, restrict the consumption of processed and spicy foods. Apart from these measures, maintain proper personal hygiene and avoid holding back urine.